[0.10.23] Mage skills >100 and spell costs

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Gravitus

[0.10.23] Mage skills >100 and spell costs

Post by Gravitus »

So my mage has 100 in all spell schools, and then I gave him an enchantment to up that to 115% for Restoration and Destruction.

Now all spells I create for these schools, no matter how powerful, cost 5 mana.
Whatever math calculates spell costs up to 100 evidently doesn't handle higher numbers too well.

Interkarma

Re: [0.10.23] Mage skills >100 and spell costs

Post by Interkarma »

This matches classic (we use the same formula). Other skills can also break down logically at values above 100.

I personally don't mind this outcome so much. It takes time and effort to accomplish this across multiple schools and feels like a reward for extreme mastery of magic.

Gravitus

Re: [0.10.23] Mage skills >100 and spell costs

Post by Gravitus »

Well if it's in Classic, then all I can do is try to make a case that DFU should do it differently. ;)

Magic at high levels is already very powerful. But you still run into spell cost increases quickly. As little as 8 damage / level will push a spell beyond the minimum SP of 5. This is not a guaranteed single-shot kill, at least not on my character level.

Having a spell that does 1000 damage / level is, and with money being essentially free in this game it's easy to build a spell like that. Effectively this erases every enemy in the game for 5 SP. It also means that no matter how powerful the spell being cast at you, spell absorption will only give you 5 SP for it.

The spell cost curve is a fun mechanic, and having it removed from 101% onwards robs lategame of a source of variety and equipment building considerations. It makes double Destruction enchantments pointless, whereas these could otherwise be used to scale spell costs even better. Plus taking up an enchantment slot, which could be considered a double-nerf - but I think it's one that a player would enjoy having. I certainly would, and I like playing mages.

As for the time and effort.. well.. it's not that hard to do. Certainly getting 6 magic schools to 100% as misc. skills is the only painful part of it. Advancing in guilds is super easy, money is free, meaning spells and triple-enchanted diamonds are free. I'm saying the game doesn't need to be made any easier, certainly not late-game.