New Github UI is awful

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Hazelnut

New Github UI is awful

Post by Hazelnut »

So I thought I'd try and get back into doing some DFU work this afternoon but they've change the github UI and all I've spent the last hour doing is trying to figure out how to change it back... seems there's no option. I hate it when really good UIs are just re-designed into complete crap like this with no way of opting out.

Anyone else annoyed by this? Github is really good, but if this is what they feel they need to spend resources on - making the UI worse - I'm wishing there were some alternatives.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Re: New Github UI is awful

Post by Interkarma »

I'm definitely not a fan. Fortunately, I mostly use GitHub Desktop, Visual Studio Pro, and (occasionally) command line to interface with repo. I mainly use the web site for comments and clicking merge, so it's not a huge shift. But a few things are really bugging me about the new design.

I guess I'll adapt, but an option to roll back would be nice. I believe there's a Chrome add-on to switch some things back, but haven't check it out yet.

jefetienne

Post by jefetienne »

I didn't mind the preview for the more rounded buttons, but I am definitely bothered by the directory window being off-center.
El jefe, Etienne
Nexus Mods | GitHub

Baler

Post by Baler »

It's very annonying having to re-learn where everything is and how to access things I'd normally breeze through.

Remember that Micro$oft owns Github. :roll:

Ferital

Post by Ferital »

I don't like it at all and don't really understand why they made such a drastic redesign. But I was never fond of GitHub actually, GitLab is way better in my opinion.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

It's a modern disease I've observed for years now, good UIs are rare and over time they get 're-designed' and made worse. To be fair though, I hate changes when I am used to things... I still moan about the stupid ribbon crap that MS added to office apps. I find hunting for functions in text menus was a lot easier than playing hunt the icon that may or may not look meaningful to me. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I'm a github newb, but I've done nothing but struggle with the github. The UI is not very intuitive and is rarely clear what is happening between the repo and the build, unless you are already familiar with how it all works. Just wanted to join in on the moaning too, since I've had to rebuild my repos numerous times now. :lol:
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.