Warm Ashes: Dangerous Dungeon Exteriors

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Kamer

Re: Warm Ashes: Dangerous Dungeon Exteriors

Post by Kamer »

Warm Ashes (V4)

As you may already know, I've been working on WAV4. This version is ditching the quest system in favor of #C. By doing this, there will be a lot of missing content in these early versions. Over time I will be re-implementing them with each update. The idea is to build a solid foundation and build from their rather than my old methods of only releasing it when its done. This way I can get feedback as I make this new version, and make people happy by not having to wait as long. If you will miss the older content of the modules, then feel free to keep using Warm Ashes Version 3 for the time being.

Warm Ashes Version 3 Modules will not compatible with Version 4 Modules.
Remove the appropriate Warm Ashes Modules from quest packs to disable them.
Example: Remove The Wilderness Quest Pack to avoid complications with WA - Wilderness Encounters

Wilderness Encounters

-Functionality from the Quest System remade in C#
-Skill checks improved(Language Skills, Stealth, and Luck)
-Fixes Wilderness encounters inside of locations and buildings
-Simplified encounter text
-Fixed Doubled Encounters
-New C# system supports Tedious Travel
-Infighting enabled

Current Encounter Types:
Encounter types will vary in the future. Below is what is in this version.
Will be updated accordingly as each update comes out.

-Nature Encounters
--Scorpions added to encounter list(Desert Climate Only)

Download

Spoiler!

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I've been playing with Warm Ashes for a little while now.

One thing I would strongly reccommend changing:

When you get interrupted in the wilderness by spiders, dragonlings, centaurs, nymphs etc, you display some text using the floating top text.

It would work much better with Tedious Travel if you displayed it using DaggerfallUI.MessageBox("Message here")
Because this pauses the game, which does two things:

1: Gives you time to read what it says. It usually scrolls away before I realize it's there.

2: When using Tedious Travel I often do stuff like check discord or the forums. With the way WA works now it just suddenly throws me into a combat situation without any warning while I'm focused on another window.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Ralzar wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:40 am I've been playing with Warm Ashes for a little while now.

One thing I would strongly reccommend changing:

When you get interrupted in the wilderness by spiders, dragonlings, centaurs, nymphs etc, you display some text using the floating top text.

It would work much better with Tedious Travel if you displayed it using DaggerfallUI.MessageBox("Message here")
Because this pauses the game, which does two things:

1: Gives you time to read what it says. It usually scrolls away before I realize it's there.

2: When using Tedious Travel I often do stuff like check discord or the forums. With the way WA works now it just suddenly throws me into a combat situation without any warning while I'm focused on another window.
Not to be rude but I think 2 is more on you lol. I'll think it over. Though I've noticed faster you travel by TT the fast the text scrolls.

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

Merged All Modules together as one DFMOD
The only DFMOD you should have in your mod folder is "warm ashes.dfmod"

Updated to DFU 10.25

Added Options Menu
-Can enable and disable any module of choice
-You can now choose the max amount of foes per Wilderness encounter. (Currently 3-8)

Wilderness Encounters (Updated June 17th, 2020)
-Added a "Second Encounter" chance.
-Recoded how enemy groups are selected
-Messages are text boxes once again

Current Encounter Types
Encounter types will vary in the future. Below is what is in this version.
Will be updated accordingly as each update comes out.

-Nature Encounters
-Secondary Encounters

Bounty Hunter System (Updated July, 17th, 2020)
-Added random health chance value to Bounty Hunters
-Changed spawn time from new day to mid day.
-Disabled the arrest ability for now

Installation:

1. Open the folder that matches your operating system (Windows/OSX/Linux)

2. Copy the "Warm Ashes.dfmod" into your DaggerfallUnity_Data/StreamingAssets/Mods folder

3. Make sure the mod is enabled

Download

Spoiler!

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

A sneak peak for next update!

Spoiler!

Kamer

Post by Kamer »

A small update for Warm Ashes Version 4. This version will test out enemy variants you'll encounter in the wilderness.
Would like to see it played and tested before I further work on future variants. I expect some compatibility
issues with texture replacements for foes.

Spoiler!

Added Centaur Variants :
Centaur Chief
Centaur Guardian
Centaur Warrior
Centaur Mystic

Downlaod

Darkenneko

Post by Darkenneko »

I'm actually super excited about the variations.

That being said, these are only going to be done in the original graphics and won't have DREAM equivalents, no?

I'd actually be pretty interested on getting my hands on either set to help make variations, it's something I'd say I'm pretty good at.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hey, two things:

1: Is the TediousTravel interrupt perhaps firing when it shouldn't? I'm noticing that since I started using the newer WA, I sometimes stop in the middle of nowhere for apparently no reason and just have to start up fast travel again.

2: Is there way to inform the player of who hired the bounty hunter? Maybe just the text saying something like "The Kingdom of Daggerfall will pay good money to bring you in!"
Because at the moment I'll just be attacked by bounty hunters while in a region where I've done nothing and it just feels a little confusing.
Even something generic like "I'm taking you back to face your crimes! might help to indicate that it's not your current region sending the bounty hunter.

hello

Post by hello »

let me just say i'm super impressed you are brave and dedicated enough to just scrap most of what you have, start over and do it all "properly" again in C#!
that kind of dedication is extremely rare, sadly even in a professional environment. and you're doing it for free.
that's honestly amazing. even continuing after that HDD fiasko last year...
honestly, you're a super hero in my book

pango

Post by pango »

hello wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:19 am let me just say i'm super impressed you are brave and dedicated enough to just scrap most of what you have, start over and do it all "properly" again in C#!
Well, embedded languages (also called extension languages, because when you mention "embedded" people often think about embedded systems, which is unrelated) are a known and legit abstraction method.
So from a purely software engineering perspective it's best if quest can be written in a quest domain specific language (DSL). Hopefully the quest language can be extended later to cover more needs...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart