Daytime locked houses

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
pango

Daytime locked houses

Post by pango »

In classic I noticed that there's some town houses that are locked during the day. In which case, all their exterior doors are locked at once.
If you manage to get in, there's also no NPC present inside, and some inner doors may also be locked.
Sadly if you try to steal from containers, you still attract guards...

I don't think any of this exists in DFU?
Attachments
classic_SAVE0.zip
(160.48 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Hazelnut

Re: Daytime locked houses

Post by Hazelnut »

No, it's an intentional divergence IIRC.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I can't remember who (JorisVanEijden?), but someone unearthed that the houses from 1 to 4 have different characteristics in Daggerfall. house1 is houses that are always locked, whereas house2-4 have other characteristics I don't know. Tipton's Template decompiler didn't catch that nuance from what I can tell, so the classic quests in DFU don't have that distinction.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It's an intentional divergence from what I recall. This was in the game for a while and users were frustrated at having to break into houses to progress quests. Other building types observe their lock schedule. Some remnant or comment of this might remain for residences in the code.

I also recall that I put some unlock logic in as a full measure for residences targeted by quests.