Mesh Replacement Test

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Biboran

Re: Mesh Replacement Test

Post by Biboran »

LorrMaster42 wrote:Nice. How is terrain handled in DFU anyways? Can it be changed to include cliffs and such?
I think it use original high map from vanilla that devs not finished - it just one picture for all map with simple more white-more high.

For more detailed landscape there need different instruments. I already asked about it here viewtopic.php?f=14&t=484 but I absoluetly zero in programming and such stuff.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

both vanilla daggerfall as well as daggerfall-unity use the heightmap.
DistantTerrain mod even improves it a lot ;)
there are cliffs, mountains etc. but because the world is so big, it is not always easy to find a spot where one can see those terrain features ;)

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

there are cliffs, mountains etc. but because the world is so big, it is not always easy to find a spot where one can see those terrain features
Pls make screens of it if you had time :shock: I only know about two moutians in vanilla game (that actually you may see even on highmap - they whitest spots here) but never seen them on screens too, sadly

Also I think LorrMaster42 asked about general improvements, like textures of ground still just very small random set that not create any detailed ground, and most of map is hills with absoluetly no detalisation. Your mod if very amazing improvent compare to vanilla, but people want more :lol:

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

just watch the screenshots of the distant terrain mod. there are plenty on this forum! just search for it

Increased Terrain Distance thread for example - keep in mind that vanilla daggerfall's heightmap is pretty flat, so what you see there is already a much improved terrain.

LorrMaster42

Post by LorrMaster42 »

I'm trying to use DFU to practice my coding and learn some different types of procedural generation algorithms. Right now I'm working on a dungeon generator, but I hope to try some exterior stuff eventually.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Nystul wrote:just watch the screenshots of the distant terrain mod. there are plenty on this forum! just search for it

Increased Terrain Distance thread for example - keep in mind that vanilla daggerfall's heightmap is pretty flat, so what you see there is already a much improved terrain.
I know and I already said that your mod is brilliant :D

But it a liitle bit different what I actually talk about. There are screens of both moutians existed in vanilla. I kinda lazy to make screens in vanilla game and dunno how off your mod in last build because it don't wanna off, so it screens with your mod

Don't very much look like moutians - I think what I talk about can't be achived with just changing of high map - simple high map is what morrrowind or warcraft 3 look like without all models - just hills of different high, and with daggerfall random textures with all that textured water pools on sides of moutians and hills don't look very good too :(

This why I asked you a version without smooth, but polygonal landscape like in vanilla - this cool smooth modernd awesome high map with vanilla ground textures and without any terrain models for rocks, cliffs and moutians looks very poor for me :oops:
Attachments
2.png
2.png (509.08 KiB) Viewed 3790 times
1.png
1.png (552.11 KiB) Viewed 3790 times

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

not sure why there are water tiles all over the place on that hill ;) this looks like something is messed up ;)

I know it would be awesome to have more realistic terrain but maybe you are just expecting a bit too much in terms of terrain improvements at the moment (what can be done with the current codebase at the moment) :D

My focus is to iron out bugs and help interkarma with the core daggerfall-unity gameplay/mechanics. Furthermore - especially lately - I also try to improve some underlying systems (like the texture arrays for terrain tiles) so that we can also modify terrain tile textures with TheLacus amazing texture replacement mod soon!

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Nystul wrote:not sure why there are water tiles all over the place on that hill ;) this looks like something is messed up ;)
You know, it because vanilla ground textures just random and had a lot that textured pools of water everywhere
Nystul wrote:I know it would be awesome to have more realistic terrain but maybe you are just expecting a bit too much in terms of terrain improvements at the moment (what can be done with the current codebase at the moment) :D
I compleatly understand - basicly proper landscape to daggerfall be most hard and complex mod ever created :D
Nystul wrote:My focus is to iron out bugs and help interkarma with the core daggerfall-unity gameplay/mechanics. Furthermore - especially lately - I also try to improve some underlying systems (like the texture arrays for terrain tiles) so that we can also modify terrain tile textures with TheLacus amazing texture replacement mod soon!
Sorri I so annoying about that - just think that with currend detalisation low polygonal lanscape will look way better and it easy and fast to make (probably it not and I just dumb in coding stuff) :D

LorrMaster42

Post by LorrMaster42 »

Would it be feasible to generate and store detailed heightmap data for all of Daggerfall? Not sure how much space that would take (probably a lot), but the alternative would be to try and generate the finer details as chuncks are rendered in.

Myopic

Post by Myopic »

I'm procrastinating and you got me wondering so I did a quick back of the envelope calculation. Assuming that the figure floating around of 62000 square miles for the area of Daggerfall is accurate, that's the equivalent of a 402x402ish km square. At the same resolution as Oblivion and Skyrim (~1.8 m per pixel), that's an image with dimensions of 223330x223330 pixels :shock: According to this: http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/lrm22/pixels2byt ... ulator.htm

... a 16-bit image of that size would be a cool 95 gb :lol: