Daggerfall Unity Models Overhaul

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
TheLacus

Re: Daggerfall Unity Models Overhaul

Post by TheLacus » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:56 pm

rhymer wrote:I've tried to download mods and retextures, the game seems to detect them but they have no impact. Neither skies, nor MG textures, nor grass and water show up in the game,
I thought you were talking about Real Grass and Lypyl Sky here, you mean you don't get textures for the terrain and the sky in game?
For terrain, you need to replace all textures from the archive, not just a few, if this is the problem. Did you try VMblast textures?
Mod System documentation - Learn how to create mods for Daggerfall Unity.
Modder Discussion - General help and discussion for the mod system.
Github Issues - Submit a bug report for the game, including the mod system.

rhymer

Post by rhymer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:14 pm

I've downloaded Hand-painted Textured (VMblast) from here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=456. Unpacked it into TEXTURES folder, but none appeared in game. Enhanced Sky 2.0.5 (Lypyl) and Loading Screen 1.4 (TheLacus) also don't work.

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus » Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:17 pm

Loading Screen 1.4 is for the version of Daggerfall Unity that is currently being developed, you can use 1.3 for now.

VMblast textures in that archive are not named correctly, Biboran kindly provided a correct version but i just noticed that the link is dead...
Correct names should be 074_0-0.png, 074_1-0.png and so on, directly inside Textures without any subfolder.
Mod System documentation - Learn how to create mods for Daggerfall Unity.
Modder Discussion - General help and discussion for the mod system.
Github Issues - Submit a bug report for the game, including the mod system.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:01 pm

rhymer wrote:Is that essential? This is my wife's name.
Depends. It is far easier than you think for people on the internet to locate you right down to your street and house address, given just two pieces of information to start with.

To be honest, using psuedonyms on the internet is basically like a superhero eye-mask - It won't actually stop anyone, but it does mean they're not supposed to look.

Revealing someone's real-world identity is called "doxing", for reasons I don't actually know. It's considered very socially unacceptable.

If you put your real name out there, though, "doxing" protection doesn't apply.

Basically, to sum up, there's millions of people on the internet, and pseudonym anonymity keeps you from being phoned by a few thousand trolls every day.

Which has literally happened.

Granted, most of the problems start when someone is famous, rather than a random person, but it takes far less than you think to get internet-famous.

You, or your wife, don't plan to, say, start a Youtube channel at any point ever, do you?

Because people who do Youtube channels have been "swat'ed".

Which is a harmless-seeming term for a troll calling in a fake bomb threat and pretending to be you.

All of this has happened to more people than you think.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

rhymer

Post by rhymer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:10 am

Mods and replaces now work perfectly - well, except the sky, it is still old-style. As for updates, I've found my old model from the times of DaggerXL, and tweaked it a little. It still needs good textures, but seems to look rather close to the original:

rhymer

Post by rhymer » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:37 am

And just having fun with kninght's animation:

Last edited by rhymer on Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlieg

Post by charlieg » Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:49 pm

rhymer wrote:And just having fun with kninght's animation:
Looks fantastic!

Arctus

Post by Arctus » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:39 pm

This is some fancy stuff!

Nystul

Post by Nystul » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:15 am

I especially like the standing guard ;)

the walking animation of the thieve and the fighting animation are imho a bit (just a bit) too exaggerated.

The arms for example swing a bit too much in contrast to the feet step size in the walking animation.
In the fighting animation the shoulder twist-around is too much as well and the way the arms take is a bit too much either (maybe it is just the off-hand). And the head is slanted to the side too much I think.

but as I said, this is just my opinion - so would like to hear other opinions ;)

but don't get me wrong, the animations are nevertheless excellent! ;)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:06 am

To quote one of those *famous Youtube medieval weapons people, "You don't want to put all you've got into a swing, because then you don't have all you've got for the next swing..."

* Scholagladatoria? LindyBeige? Not sure...
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.