Horseneck too bright at night

Discuss modding questions and implementation details.
Daniel87

Horseneck too bright at night

Post by Daniel87 »

Hi everyone,

I wouldn't consider this a real bug but maybe an immersion feature.
Did anyone notice that the horse neck when riding at night, is quite too bright when not using a torch or candle?
Is it an unlit material or why is that?
In Julianos we Trust.

pango

Re: Horseneck too bright at night

Post by pango »

Technically the horse is part of the HUD, and so are hands/weapons; They're large sprites on top of the 3d view instead of being part of the 3d view, so they aren't affected by lighting...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Ah alright.
So could potentially a script be written that would adjust the brightness in synchronisation of the torch and sunlightRig of the sprite for only the Horse GUI element? I only worked with GUIs marginally for other game projects and am not sure about the lighting options for GUIs. Does anyone have experience in this area?
Which GameObject reflects the GUI in the Game Scene? Or is it created at runtime?
In Julianos we Trust.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

This is what I ask for for at least a year, so the handheld sprites (thats also a horse) are shaded by the sun and lightsources. Darker at night and dungeons. Brighter during the day Apparently its "impossible" .. Ive never heard a confirmation of possibility, just reasons for impossibility. I think thats the right setup for someone to just come and do it

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Maybe it would be possible to create a mod that makes a semi-transparent horse-shape to overlay the horse?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Heres the relevant technical discussion of this matter
http://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewtopic. ... 21d26a6ef8

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

So normal maps would be needed for all weapons and the horse? Sounds doable. Can it be implemented or is the base code for that not given yet?
Since I am using Linux, running Photoshop sucks with Wine and constantly crashes. Otherwise I would try doing the normal maps myself.
In Julianos we Trust.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Normal maps creation must be automated for hand held weapons as its around 5000 files. And I very much doubt its even implemented yet. It was just a idea Interkarma mentioned and it stayed at that Im afraid.

I think I can automate the notmal maps generation and do it, If the system is working so the maps are good for something..

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Thinking about it, I wonder how normal maps could even work, as the weapons n horseneck are GUI elements outside of the 3D world and experience no lighting.

Maybe the GUI horse can be hidden (MeshRenderer deactivated) and another sprite horse can be spawned inside the players view in the 3D world.

For the weapon this will be harder, but I know someone who is an expert with exactly this :3 we can ask him what would be the smartest way to go and bring the weapon from GUI to real world.
In Julianos we Trust.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Maybe Interkarma would have some advice on what he had on his mind when he suggested usage of normal maps.