Better Travel Map by Thomas_Eric

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Thomas_Eric

Better Travel Map by Thomas_Eric

Post by Thomas_Eric »

Hello, folks!

It's time to show what I've been doing secretly:

Yep, jointed all province maps on the travel map, so I can start working on different textures and different UI for the travel map.

While, I don't understand almost anything about modding for DFUnity, I'll try my best to make to replace the map and the UI, and reposition the UI (somewhat like this: https://i.gyazo.com/ede0f04f8e45fc31b52 ... 6bde93.jpg). I also, hope some of you may offer a helper hand, so I can understand how this stuff works.

Updates on the Better Travel Map:

I answer some of the questions, you guys submitted to me!
1st Update
2nd Update - Finished drawing the borders and the whole coast

Thanks for reading this far -

Thomas Eric
Last edited by Thomas_Eric on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am alive and back!

Interkarma

Re: Better Travel Map by Thomas_Eric

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums Thomas! :)

I'm not sure how comfortable you are with coding, but here is the source code for travel map implementation in Daggerfall Unity.

Things would be a bit easier if you tried to work within Daggerfall's travel map design - which is individual map images per region selected. It should be possible to design lovely high resolution images and just use the existing image replacers to implement. Of course, then you don't have the full map layout and have to live with the dots and existing button layout. That would be the easy option.

Otherwise, it would involve a detailed rewrite of the travel map source code linked. Then you could replace travel map with anything you like, even a fully 3D map interface. Just look at the rich 3D environment maps Nystul created for dungeons and building interiors. With some work, the sky is pretty much the limit. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Agree that the travel map could use some upgrade, cant wait for what this turns out to be, all fingers crossed!
Now, which of the King of Worms avatar is better? :lol: Mine was created using a cursed invisible selfiestick with a rotten 320x200 camera at the end :arrow: sorry for offtopic.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums! :)

I'm wondering, how will the Find button work with this map system? I feel fairly confident some location names are duplicated in different regions. If all regions were simultaneously searched, I think duplicates would be cumbersome.

Thomas_Eric

Post by Thomas_Eric »

Interkarma wrote:I'm not sure how comfortable you are with coding, but here is the source code for travel map implementation in Daggerfall Unity.
I think I can manage that code, but I don't know how I can replace the normal textures to my textures? Where are the coded image files?
Interkarma wrote: Of course, then you don't have the full map layout and have to live with the dots and existing button layout. That would be the easy option.
Not replacing that. Even If I wanted to make all the locations to appear on the main map, like another user below said: "some location names are duplicated in different regions. If all regions were simultaneously searched, I think duplicates would be cumbersome."
King of Worms wrote:Now, which of the King of Worms avatar is better?
Mine.
Jay_H wrote:I'm wondering, how will the Find button work with this map system? I feel fairly confident some location names are duplicated in different regions. If all regions were simultaneously searched, I think duplicates would be cumbersome.
Actually, I'm not replacing the system. You click on a province and you see the locations, just like vanilla Daggerfall. That picture is just a reference, so I can design a better map to fit the way I want to design my UI.
I am alive and back!

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Thomas_Eric wrote:
Interkarma wrote:I'm not sure how comfortable you are with coding, but here is the source code for travel map implementation in Daggerfall Unity.
I think I can manage that code, but I don't know how I can replace the normal textures to my textures? Where are the coded image files?
If you do a 1:1 replacement you only need to place your textures inside StreamingAssets/Textures. You can find more information here.

If you want to edit some functionalities, here there are some tutorials on how to create a mod.
Both these methods return a Texture2D, the first from the mod, the second from disk.

Code: Select all

DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Utility.ModSupport.Mod public T GetAsset<T>(string assetname, bool clone = false) where T : UnityEngine.Object

DaggerfallWorkshop.Utility.AssetInjection.TextureReplacement static public bool ImportTextureFromDisk (string path, string name, out Texture2D texture, TextureMap map = TextureMap.Albedo)
example:

Code: Select all

Texture2D tex;
if(!TextureReplacement.ImportTextureFromDisk(Path.Combine(mod.DirPath, "MyTextures"), "MyTexture", out tex)
	tex = mod.GetAsset<Texture2D>("MyTexture");

Arctus

Post by Arctus »

King of Worms wrote:Now, which of the King of Worms avatar is better? :lol:
This is going to be too confusing, I demand a battle to the death.

Thomas_Eric

A Little Update - 06/12/2017

Post by Thomas_Eric »

I'm currently working on drawing the borders of each province: Image

I also would like to thank TheLacus for the links!
Last edited by Thomas_Eric on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am alive and back!

Thomas_Eric

Another Little Update - 06/12/2017

Post by Thomas_Eric »

I've finished the whole borders + the whole coast : Image
Last edited by Thomas_Eric on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am alive and back!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Arctus wrote: This is going to be too confusing, I demand a battle to the death.
Sounds good to me, but what if I win? All I can do is roam the forums corridors :D