[General] Tutorial to convert VID videos into WEBM

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
Daneel53

[General] Tutorial to convert VID videos into WEBM

Post by Daneel53 »

HI translators,

Classic Daggerfall contains a set of video files that are into Bethesda specific format, VID.

To localize the classic Daggerfall, we had to add subtitles in those of the videos that have audio text so that people can understand what is said in their language.

These localized videos must be included in a localization mod, but Unity does not accept VID format, it accept only MP4 and WEBM video containers, so we have to convert the localized videos. Knowing that the Linux Unity accepts only WEBM format, the better is to convert all the localized videos in WEBM that is accepted on all platforms.

Having done the job for the 15 French videos that will be put into the future French Translation mod, I've written a tutorial to explain how to proceed in order to transform the videos from AVI to WEBM format. This will be useful for the other translation teams for other non-English languages. As the tutorial is a little long, it's better to distribute it as a PDF file.

You can take the tutorial here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/12jGcLS ... sp=sharing

If you have remarks, don't hesitate to post them here.

Today the WEBM videos are still in the original 320x200 dimension. This subject may be used too to share ways to obtain videos with better quality for nowadays bigger resolutions if it can be useful. But it must be noted that the subtitles are hard incrusted into the VID videos, so the subtitles must stay readable if we raise the size of the original videos.
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.
French translator for many Warband mods and Bannerlord.

Deepfighter

Re: [General] Tutorial to convert VID videos into WEBM

Post by Deepfighter »

Thank you so much for this great tutorial, as well as your thoughts to have a compatibility for all platforms. :) This is the way to go. For everyone, who wants to add subtitles beforehand, please see this thread.
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

Hi Deepfighter,

I've read your 2018 post just today. I did not think that you has such issues with some of the videos to redo in German what we did in French in June 2012. Ah, June 2012! What an incredible productive month it was. Porygon decided to "have a look" to see if to incrust subtitles in the Daggerfall videos was possible, and two weeks later the solution and the first subtitled videos were on the table.

And so I realized that you never succeeded to create the ANIM0001.VID in German. Well, as your link show it, it was Andux, creator of the software Protovid, that succeeded to do that for French version (in the same way that he gave us the tools to incrust subtitles into VID files), and I agree that his explanations were probably too short so that we can redo what he did. People like that who master a technical area that may look as chinese for common European mortals are always impressive. :D
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.
French translator for many Warband mods and Bannerlord.

CorrodedCoder

Post by CorrodedCoder »

I wish I'd paid more attention that there was such interest - really impressed by the creativity of the work you guys put in to get the translation done!

I'm afraid I'm not much of a C# programmer and I've not done anything in Unity, but it seems from a quick look at the Daggerfall Unity code that it wouldn't be impossible for someone who knew what they were doing to leverage the .srt files you folks have created to provide subtitles in Daggerfall Unity.

Of course that's easy for me to say when I'm not the one offering to do it, but as Gavin is working on localisation at the moment, it might be worth mentioning in that context.

raulpuro

Post by raulpuro »

Hi,

The Mod videos are on webm if I'm not mistaken, and in principle they have a better quality than the vine, embed the subtitles in the video Vid is very painful, my idea would be to pass the webm files to Avi to embed the subtitles (SRT) and then pass them to Webm again. Is this possible? Would a lot of image quality be lost?

Greetings.