Wilderness Overhaul

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
Daniel87

Re: Wilderness Overhaul

Post by Daniel87 »

Another Update:

All tile errors fixed now.
I also changed the Perlin noise for nature billboard distribution to better reflect reality (no more micro forests but real Fangorn Forests).

I believe this is what Daggerfall was supposed to look like <3
Spoiler!

I start getting excited :D
In Julianos we Trust.

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

Daniel87 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:55 am Another Update:

All tile errors fixed now.
I also changed the Perlin noise for nature billboard distribution to better reflect reality (no more micro forests but real Fangorn Forests).

I believe this is what Daggerfall was supposed to look like <3
Spoiler!

I start getting excited :D
This is really looking good.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Dude yes! I saw it on my phone, bright day so no details were there just the terrain and sprites and it looks like a real photo, the sprite distribution looks very natural now.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

King of Worms wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:47 am Dude yes! I saw it on my phone, bright day so no details were there just the terrain and sprites and it looks like a real photo, the sprite distribution looks very natural now.
I might soon send you the textures I used for the terrain (90% original DF textured). If you could make a DREAM version of them for me, that would be so awesome. I can pack them into the mod and set it up so my mod will automatically use them if your mod is running too :)

I just wish I could add 3D Trees instead of sprited. That would lift the öandscapes to a whole different Level.
In Julianos we Trust.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Sure, send it 😊 well 3d trees are cool but

1st - they are not finished. No winter variants, no jungle, desert..nothing

2nd - very bad performance

3rd - I kinda dont like a lot of them, bad colors etc

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Amazing and quite inspiring work sir. Wish we could have a larger texture table, so we could get granite to water transitions. Also, full 3d tree replacements would be stellar, but yeah, I get it, tons and tons of work to model and texture all the variants and get then optimize the whole thing.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

l3lessed wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:21 pm Amazing and quite inspiring work sir. Wish we could have a larger texture table, so we could get granite to water transitions. Also, full 3d tree replacements would be stellar, but yeah, I get it, tons and tons of work to model and texture all the variants and get then optimize the whole thing.
I was actually thinking of adding a couple more stone>grass transition tiles and randomly picking one when texturing the terrain, so these ugly straight borders between different tile types disappear and get swapped out with more different variants. But here is, where this ridiculous Byte-system of Classic Daggerfall bites my butt.

All possible texture indices need to fit into 6-Bit. That is a possible maximum of 64 tiles, which also includes mirrored tiles, as these cannot be mirrored with the remaining two Bits of the Byte. Those Bits only rotate the texture by 90° and 180° (and together by 270°).

If it was not for this stupid limitation, I would have created a vast tile texture array, countless of gradients for more natural looks and then possibly would have expanded on different flora, such as water plants at river banks, countless more flowers, countless more trees, bushes, rocks, etc.
I would have tried to completely transform the landscapes of Daggerfall, opening the door for other modders to create sprite wildlife such as deers, wolfes, etc. making way for hunting mods similar to Skyrim, and many more possibilities.

98% of Daggerfall is wasted potential of empty landscapes and repetitive, over-randomized dungeons.

Here are some ideas I have for different small immersion mods:

Why not add all sorts of facilities to the game?
I mean where are different goods produced like bakeries, slaughter houses, proper pig and cow farms, etc.

City Blocks with markets (where shops cluster) could be simply spawning 3x to 5x more NPCs at shop business hours creating the impression of a busy bustling shopping area compared to more quiet residential districts in cities, adding more diversity within a single city and improving the immersion a lot more.
Additionally a mod could place a Audio Player in market districts with busy crowd sound loops if the number of NPCs > 25 and slowly reducing volume with decreasing number of NPCs around.

I am currently tackling the landscapes to the limits what is possible right now.
Dungeons would be the next thing to improve. Like 100% cave dungeons, 100% ruin dungeons, etc.
Having these completely randomized Dungeon Blocks glued together looks ridiculous, kills immersion and makes every dungeon feel like the dungeon before, because one dungeon is big enough to recycle through all existing dungeon blocks several times over.

I think its time for a mod that limits down the palette of dungeon blocks used for each dungeon type or does this already exist? A mod that also limits the size of non-story dungeons and the range of enemy types per dungeon?

These things could improve Daggerfall manifold. More random locations in my wide and wild landscapes would also blow me away. I think there is already a mod on the way for this and I can't wait to see it together with my mod. Bandit camps, nomads, travelling merchants making camp, random ruins with loot in the wild, etc. The player needs a reason to spend time outside of cities, rather than fast travelling from A to B to clear another house from rats...

Another very important thing would be the human to NPC interaction. I know many people love Daggerfalls classic dialogue system, but there are so many ways how the interface could be improved. Think of the system used in Oblivion or Mass Effect. Imagine citizens having actual jobs and interests, love relationships with each other, children playing in the streets. Imagine a Sprite Randomizer System for faces to create unique characters all over the Iliac Bay.

There is so freakin much potential in this game that goes completely unused. Especially something like what I mentioned last: Randomizing faces (even in sprite form) wouldn't be that difficult:

- Take the standard NPC faces and split it into beard styles, face shapes, eye shapes, lip shapes, nose shapes, hair styles, etc.
- Photoshop 20 different colour versions of the hair, create 10 different beards in 20 different colours, etc.
- Let a simple mod puzzle them together. Every piece has a certain coordinate where it is placed to fit the basic face shape selected.
- Random colour ID is chosen and Beard/Hair are selected based on it
- The randomized face can now be baked into a PNG image. This can be either done in preparation and saved into a Textured2DArray added to the mod or at runtime on demand. In the latter case, it won't even need to be baked into one PNG picture and the single parts of the face can just be layerd ontop of each other with the right drawing order.

-> Thousands of different NPCs walking around, rather than millions of clones.
This mod could be utilized also as a Player customizer when starting a new game. After all, we are playing an RPG game here with heavy influence of D&D. Why not expand on player customization to support role play even further?
Even if the faces only appear in all their random glory when being in the dialogue window, for me thats still a huge improvement to immersion. Such a face could be baked together into a picture at runtime and even put on the real NPC model walking around with its different frames. Not sure how it impacts memory, but we live in 2022, not 1996. Should be doable.

EDIT:
I just gave Real Grass Mod and Distant Terrain a try in conjunction with my mod and I am very pleased with the result:

Just the Distant Terrain sometimes looks a little weird.
In Julianos we Trust.

carademono

Post by carademono »

You're bringing up the question of Daggerfall's future, and it's a great question. In the 25 years since Daggerfall, there really hasn't been any other game like it, vast, procedurally generated, and with deep tabletop RPG-based gameplay. There's just Daggerfall.

But you're right, the procedural generation is incredibly limited compared to what can be achieved now -- just look at No Man's Sky. So your Wilderness Overhaul is EXACTLY what the future of Daggerfall looks like, deepening the procedural generation, reducing the saminess, and creating new types of gameplay.

Really opening up Daggerfall's possibilities will be a post-1.0 project, however. Interkarma's declared a hard feature freeze in two months, to prepare for a stable 1.0 release by the end of 2021. Since what modders really need is more access to the underlying game world mechanics, and that is likely to make the game less stable than more, my guess is we won't get it until 2022.

After 1.0, hopefully we'll be able to increase the tilesets infinitely, add new city and dungeon blocks, add dungeon gameplay cribbed from generations of rogue-likes, new building types, procedurally generate clutter in towns and inside houses, have different elevation WITHIN cities, etc. We can add new scripting abilities for questers, add dozens of new NPC sprites, and expand the dialogue system.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

carademono wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:35 pm You're bringing up the question of Daggerfall's future, and it's a great question. In the 25 years since Daggerfall, there really hasn't been any other game like it, vast, procedurally generated, and with deep tabletop RPG-based gameplay. There's just Daggerfall.

But you're right, the procedural generation is incredibly limited compared to what can be achieved now -- just look at No Man's Sky. So your Wilderness Overhaul is EXACTLY what the future of Daggerfall looks like, deepening the procedural generation, reducing the saminess, and creating new types of gameplay.

Really opening up Daggerfall's possibilities will be a post-1.0 project, however. Interkarma's declared a hard feature freeze in two months, to prepare for a stable 1.0 release by the end of 2021. Since what modders really need is more access to the underlying game world mechanics, and that is likely to make the game less stable than more, my guess is we won't get it until 2022.

After 1.0, hopefully we'll be able to increase the tilesets infinitely, add new city and dungeon blocks, add dungeon gameplay cribbed from generations of rogue-likes, new building types, procedurally generate clutter in towns and inside houses, have different elevation WITHIN cities, etc. We can add new scripting abilities for questers, add dozens of new NPC sprites, and expand the dialogue system.
Well, that sounds like a great new year gift :D
Can't wait for 2022 then!
In Julianos we Trust.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I think the ideas you named here are great, should be put in this section in its own thread. It can get lost here...
http://forums.dfworkshop.net/viewforum. ... 71dcb49de5

The new images are breathtaking :ugeek: