[DFUnity] Translation of DREAM menu images

Discuss translation of Daggerfall Unity and the required Daggerfall installation. Help other communities learn how to translate Daggerfall using any available tools and processes.
King of Worms

Re: [DFUnity] Translation of DREAM menu images

Post by King of Worms »

Great progress, good job!

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

Thanks.

I'm still trying to find a suitable representation for the text by using the different effects that exist in GIMP. But they are so numérous!

Here is for example some trials done for the BUTN02I0 screen.
The screen that is in DREAM:
Spoiler!
BUTN02I0.jpg
BUTN02I0.jpg (119.75 KiB) Viewed 5242 times

And mine with two different looks for the text (the title still need to be modified):
Dan-BUTN02I0.jpg
Dan-BUTN02I0.jpg (133.73 KiB) Viewed 5242 times
(Sorry, this file is not displayed when put into a spoiler, don't understand why)
The text on the botton looks like the one on the DREAM screen, the one in the middle is a trial to give more relief and a goldish style. Don't know which one provide a better look to the screen... If people want to provide feedback, you are welcome.

So for the moment I will concentrate on making all the empty screens that anyway I will need. In parallel, I will keep on doing trials with different effects for the text. I will keep the effect, the parameters and the result in a Word document, and in the end I will choose the effects that I think are better. Or I will publish a summary of all the possible effects I retain and ask people to choose... We will see when the panel of choices will be done. :)
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.
French translator for many Warband mods and Bannerlord.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Go with YOUR feeling, make it look nice and readable at the same moment. Thats the win. You doing great so far đź‘Ť That brighter 3d-ish looks great... I mean the effect. The best practice is, to see how the results look ingame. Just start the game, go thru new char creation, see how it flows....

The impression u get in the editor and in the game is different. The feeling u get from the result ingame is what matters

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

The impression u get in the editor and in the game is different. The feeling u get from the result ingame is what matters
You have much more experience than me on that point, so I will keep this remark in mind. You are right, for the moment I'm just looking at the screens into GIMP or the Windows viewer, I should put them in game.
In charge of Project French Daggerfall and DaggerfallSetup, dev. of DFTools in English.

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

Hello!

I would like to translate the screen CHAR00I0 and I face a big problem: I don't know whatr is the name of the font that has been used to produce this text:
ApplicationFrameHost_2021-05-06_21-21-14.png
ApplicationFrameHost_2021-05-06_21-21-14.png (122.77 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
The font is the same as the one that wass used for the classic Daggerfall:
BS_Picture_2021-05-06_21-30-33.png
BS_Picture_2021-05-06_21-30-33.png (5.37 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
King of Worm told me that this is Arl that produced this screen for the DREAM mod, but nobody know how to contact him.
Porygon used it too for the screen in the PFD in 2012, but I don't know either how to contact him today.
ApplicationFrameHost_2021-05-06_20-56-46.png
ApplicationFrameHost_2021-05-06_20-56-46.png (5.93 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
So this is a big call to everybody: do someone know what is the name of this font ?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Good news :)

Ive found the font using the page www.whatfontis.com
I uploaded the image there, selected the letters, did some fiddling around and I have top 3 contenders right here:

1. Carolus FG https://www.whatfontis.com/FF_Carolus-F ... xt=thyself
2. Carolingia https://www.whatfontis.com/FF_Carolingi ... xt=thyself
4. Carolingia [BigfooT] Nor https://www.whatfontis.com/FF_Carolingi ... xt=thyself

in bold is the one I think fits the best.

Quite proud of myself :lol: happy to help

(EDIT: Lol Pango :lol: :lol: 5 minutes)
Last edited by King of Worms on Fri May 07, 2021 11:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

pango

Post by pango »

Carolingia?

(Ninja'd by KoW!)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

Fantastic! :D

Many many thanks, King of Worm! You saved me a lot of time.

I did not know this site, whatfontis.com, but now it is bookmarked in my web browser, I'm sure it will be very useful.

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

Hello!

A quick word to say that after a small break due to the launch of Bannerlord 1.5.10 that we had to translate, I'm still working on the DREAM menu screens. I've cleaned around 70 % of the screens and will keep on working on the last ones.

Some of them, as CNFG00I0 or INFO00I0, will unfortunately be very difficult to clean because they have many texts near from each other, or are sticked to a border, which means that the fantastic GIMP filter Heal Selection cannot produce a conveniant result because there is no room around the text to pick the needed replacement pixels.
Spoiler!
CNFG00I0.IMG-Small.png
CNFG00I0.IMG-Small.png (541.55 KiB) Viewed 4858 times
These screens were obviously done by engraving the plates onto a big marble texture, but I don't have the complete marble texture in which I could cut the needed pieces to cover the text. For the moment, I let the difficult screens apart, I will come back on these ones when all the "easy" ones are dealt with. :)

Daneel53

Post by Daneel53 »

Hello guys,

I'm almost done with the screens cleaning. They are all done except:
- CNFG00I0 - Reason explained in previous message.
- CNFG00I1- This is an abstract of CNFG00I0 with different words, so when CNFG00I0 will be done, it will be done too.
- COMPASS - This is not a cleaning issue, but I must find the right font in order to replace the W by a O in French. If I don't find it, I will have to replace all letters W, E, S and W with another font.
- INFO00I0 - Many texts to remove.
- MAP100I0 - The map of Tamriel! I must remove "Imperial Province" to write "Province impériale", but the Heal effect is not convenient because the environment under the letters is a forest and a river, if I remove "al Pro" I erase the river. I fear that I will have to redraw the forest and the blue river by hand, pixel by pixel... :(
- OPTN00I0 - To remove the text will not be easy, as for CNFG00I0.

I hope all this to be done in one week. When it will be finished, I will send all cleaned screens to King of Worms so that he have them in hand, ready to be be provided to somebody else for translation of DREAM screens in another language that French.
Last edited by Daneel53 on Thu May 27, 2021 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.