Post Processing Effects Customizer (Legacy)

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
King of Worms

Re: Post Processing Effects Customizer (v1.3.0)

Post by King of Worms »

Yes I had the idea it is because of the AA ingame now. I hope you can remake this mod, its very important for a good looks, the Ambient Occlusion makes the game pop, without it its very flat. I also use light motion blur, dithering and vignette. Fingers crossed.

Interkarma

Re: Post Processing Effects Customizer (v1.3.0 - DU 0.12)

Post by Interkarma »

To help with this one, I've created the required global PostProcessVolume in game scene and assigned a default postprocessing profile. I'll make Ambient Occlusion intensity a core setting.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... 5922a7d9a2

From here, everything needed should be ready in scene for custom postprocessing profiles from mods.

TheLacus, please just let me know if I can add anything in core to help with your postprocessing mod.

Edit: Setting AO intensity is now possible in core through settings.ini, advanced settings UI, or "aointensity" console command at runtime. Range is same as the effect layer intensity 0.0 to 4.0. This will be part of core from 0.13.2.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hi Interkarma, thanks for moving the AO to the core.

In the Postprocessing mod, AO had 3 settings.
Intensity (0.7)
Radius (0.5)
Quality ("medium" for gtx970 or "high" for better HW)

For the best results I used the values mentioned above. Will it be still possible to set the AO this way?

PS: will other effects be exposed as well, epc vignette, dithering, motion blur.

Eye adaptation and DOF never really worked in this mod, but having it functional in the core would be cool as well. Also, the new TAA anti-aliasing is usually accompanied with Sharpening in modern games, can it be done in DFU as well? These new options could be merged in the new Postprocessing Tab in the menu.

Thank you

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

For the short term, I'm mainly working through Pango and TheLacus' requests from here to upgrade postprocessing stack and include FXAA, SSAO, SSR in core. That's my primary target around postprocessing, everything else is secondary.

Work so far has been to upgrade to new postprocessing stack and create free space in startup UI to include above settings in core. I ultimately had to re-embed stack to fix a problem with Unity's "magic dither" causing visual static most noticeable in retro mode.

Regarding other effects, I'm going to roll with whatever TheLacus wants to do. I'm happy for postprocessing to be configured in an updated version of his mod or become part of core. I created the new Effects settings page to host as much of this as possible. I'm also open to creating a dedicated PostProcessing configuration UI available from that new chevron drop-down on pause menu. It's probably more useful to configure PP while the game is running than in startup tbh. Maybe we can adapt TheLacus' mod into that?

Regarding settings, things have changed a lot in PP compared to the old stack in DFU 0.12 and below. The new AO layer has properties Mode, Intensity, Thickness Modifier, Color, and Ambient Only. There are no settings for Radius or Quality. The Intensity setting is the only option really worth exposing to player. It's possible that other layers have had similar revision and will have different properties in new stack.

TLDR; Currently only looking at FXAA, SSAO, and SSR in core. But I'm open to more advanced postprocessing options either in a mod or being moved into core - whatever TheLacus prefers. Settings might be different between old PP stack in 0.12 and new PP stack in 0.13.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Ok fingers crossed this will work and look nicely, there are quite a lot of changes being done at once to the visuals of the game, lets hope its really for the better at the end of the day.. Btw SSR never worked properly in the game, unless you made specific PBR shaders for it, which nobody ever did, so I wonder why its in the 3 effects which are moved to the core? Has something changed? Why is it high priority?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

FXAA, SSAO, SSR are the effects TheLacus specifically requested for me to integrate (see my link in above reply). It would help to see these changes as a response to his request, not a general push on my side to include all PP options in core. But I'm open to more being integrated later if that's what TheLacus prefers over updating his mod.

Postprocessing effects are optional and disabled by default. They don't change anything in the game's visuals unless a user enables them. Mods can override them very easily to provide other effects, just like they do in 0.12.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Got it. My remark about the game visuals was based on how the game looks (looked) now for me, that means with said postprocessing effects enabled and set up in certain way + DREAM. So my hopes for it being really better than the current state were directed towards that. From my POV there is a lot of changes being done at once (linear + postprocessing changes) so naturally I hope for the best, but Im a bit afraid. Thats all.

To be really blunt about it, Ive seen too many games with "upgraded" graphics look much worse than before the changes were made, so I hope this will not be the case, because the changes here come at rapid pace now and are substantial yet I dont see anyone overseeing it from the art POV. So I just hope for the best... Good luck :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Nah, this isn't some totally novel "Interkarma-flavoured" postprocessing stack. :) The Unity postprocessing stack has been embedded in DFU for yonks now. Only the settings weren't exposed other than in TheLacus' mod. What this mod does is give you a UI to customize features already built into the game. That UI can either be in a mod or in the core game, it's the same functionality either way.

The only changes here are upgrading Unity's postprocessing stack from v1 to v2 and adding a select few of those settings into core game as a convenience. This buys TheLacus some time to either update mod or move the remaining settings from his mod into core, whatever he wants to do. I'm happy to help TheLacus either way, if any help is needed.

As always, these postprocessing options are disabled by default. There's no change to the game's graphics unless a user wants to enable these settings. It makes no difference whether settings are exposed by a mod or in base game. It's structurally all the same setup as it has been for years now.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Because I try to keep others happy, I'll expose more postprocessing settings in core. This will hopefully take further pressure off TheLacus to update mod and alleviate some of KoW's fears around available settings until mod is either updated or fully integrated.

I'm not going to expose all effects from mod however. SSR isn't very useful as KoW points out, so I'll drop that. Dithering and Eye Adaptation are not effects in the PPv2 stack. See here for effects available in PPv2 package (rightmost column). Otherwise it's a fairly straight-forward port of these settings.

KoW, the other AO settings you mention (Radius, Quality) are in fact available when setting an older AO method (Scalable Ambient Obscurance). This isn't the default and I didn't see these until I went looking for them. I'm sorry for the bad info on this point, I'll rework AO to make these available. The default method (Multi Scale Volumetric Obscurance) is higher quality but only works with shader model 4.5.

TheLacus, if you still want to update your mod, you should find these changes to provide a good template for changes. A GameManager helper has been added to quickly grab the PostProcessVolume gameobject. Then it's fairly simple to plug in a new postprocessing profile or tweak settings at runtime. Just let me know if there's something I can help with. Alternatively, you're welcome to build on the integrated postprocessing UI once I have this ready.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Interesting info on that AO. I wanted to check shader v4.5 graphic cards list but found only 4 OR 5.
4 being quite old, any card can run that. Its hard to tell if the old or new AO is better visually, I have no idea. Id go with the one which looks better. But to determine that, Id need to see that :D

Anyway, it seems you decided for the shader 4.5 one, maybe for a better compatibility and to have the settings Ive spoke about. I will leave this one on you completely. I have no bias here as I know nothing about how the more modern one looks compared to old.