Crash before launch

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
iamavampire

Crash before launch

Post by iamavampire »

So after messing with the savegame files a little making some faction changes I tried to run it from vortex and it immediately crashed, ran it from file and same thing. After that I did a full unisntall of the game and reinstalled it and it's still happening. Is there already a solution to this? Sorry about copy pasting the logs it's not letting me attach the files.
Attachments
player.zip
(3.35 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
daddad.PNG
daddad.PNG (127.54 KiB) Viewed 791 times

Interkarma

Re: Crash before launch

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there, welcome to the forums. :)

You can attach large text documents as zip files. I've reattached your log now in a zip for convenience.

From what I can see, things don't look setup correctly to start with. It appears your Daggerfall Unity folder is inside your gamedata folder, as I see the runtime path below at top of log. This isn't a supported setup.

Code: Select all

'C:/Games/Bethesda Softworks/DaggerUnity/DaggerfallUnity_Data/Managed'
I'd set up a clean install using the recommended DaggerfallGameFiles method. I'll summarise steps below:
  1. Delete your settings.ini and old install first. This is an important step to ensure everything is setup fresh.
  2. Download DaggerfallGameFiles and unzip somewhere like "C:\Games\Daggerfall".
  3. Download latest Daggerfall Unity build from Releases and unzip somewhere different like "C:\Games\Daggerfall Unity\0.13.2" (match version downloaded).
  4. Don't install any mods until you can get the game working. Also start a new game or load an older save to ensure your edits to save data aren't involved.
If you still have issues after setting up a fresh copy using the recommend method, please attach another zip of your player.log and I'll be happy to keep working to try and solve with you. Good luck!

iamavampire

Post by iamavampire »

Still same issue with installing it the recommended way. When I try to launch it a wet window pops up with the logo for a moment with an exclamation mark and a loading bar but it goes away fast.
Attachments
Playerlog.zip
(3.29 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

pango

Post by pango »

Are you using either Citrix Workspace or Citrix Receiver?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for updating install and changing gamedata. :) A few more things to try.
  • Check if you have the Citrix products installed that Pango mentions above (Workspace or Receiver) and remove if possible.
  • Try running game as administrator (right-click > run as administrator). If that works, you can set this in shortcut properties.
  • Try going into settings.ini and configuring "ExclusiveFullscreen=True".
  • Try deleting the registry key at "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity". Unity Player caches some info here that can get screwy.
All I can really confirm is the crash is happening in Unity's Player initialisation, before DFU even starts up. The splash with an exclamation mark always means something at a lower level. The main error in crash log is below.

Code: Select all

ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FFACA196E0A)
0x00007FFACA196E0A (UnityPlayer) (function-name not available)
Googling around on this one, it seems related to video driver. Another driver version for your GPU might solve it, even if it means rolling back rather than updating.

That's all I've got for now. Hopefully something in there helps us make progress. Good luck!

iamavampire

Post by iamavampire »

Okay I think I get it now because there is not settings.ini or registry key in that folder.

Oh by the way the game was working fine over a day ago this is really recent

iamavampire

Post by iamavampire »

Update, I followed your instructions about the registry key and it worked thank you so much for your help

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Great! :) Happy one of those helped. Thanks for following up and letting us know the solution.