Daggerfall Let's Play - Journal Style!

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Narf the Mouse

Daggerfall Let's Play - Journal Style!

Post by Narf the Mouse »

I have written up the first two chapters of a nobleborn Breton *spell-blade's narrow escape of a tremendous storm, and survival of a harrowing dungeon, in journal format.

With a parchment background as proof that a programmer can basic art, and in Segue Script, because reading script is an important life skill that everyone should know and also I hate you. I don't actually hate you. I just think script looks beautiful and authentic. But memes.

Anyway, please read and review.

Edit: 2017/07/29: Latest Update: Book Fourteen, Chapter Eighteen (Book 1, Chapter 6, for the out-of-setting numbering)
The Journal of Ambrron Arneion.zip
(187.17 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
* Custom.
Last edited by Narf the Mouse on Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

King of Worms

Re: Daggerfall Let's Play - Journal Style!

Post by King of Worms »

I like the 1st (13th in your book) chapter depicting what happened before you appear in that starting cave the most. Font on that background texture was at 1st a bit harder to read, but I got used to it, still, I think the readability could be further improved while retaining the stylized look.

I dont get the part where its written "I regret that I could not save myself, but I feel no guilt, for I had not the opportunity" because IMO he had saved himself, otherwise there wont be any starting character surviving the storm :) Not sure about that. I can imagine he can regret not saving others, but...

Anyway, its a nice idea and I like it so far.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

King of Worms wrote:I like the 1st (13th in your book) chapter depicting what happened before you appear in that starting cave the most. Font on that background texture was at 1st a bit harder to read, but I got used to it, still, I think the readability could be further improved while retaining the stylized look.

I dont get the part where its written "I regret that I could not save myself, but I feel no guilt, for I had not the opportunity" because IMO he had saved himself, otherwise there wont be any starting character surviving the storm :) Not sure about that. I can imagine he can regret not saving others, but...

Anyway, its a nice idea and I like it so far.
Yeah, Segue Script is pretty readable for a script font, but there is likely better...Just hard to find. So I didn't feel like searching for one late at night. ;)

...Yeah, meant "regret not saving others." Will fix and update first post, thanks.

Seems to enhance immersion and depth of character. Plus, it's fun in its own right. Hopefully I can keep it going and keep the quality up. :)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Added: Four new chapters.
Fixed: Error noted by King of Worms.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

yea its fun to read that, something like a gameplay videos but here you have a option to imagine things on your own, which is better. I got used to that font btw, it just took some time for me. Now I understand that title - Lets play Journal style :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

King of Worms wrote:yea its fun to read that, something like a gameplay videos but here you have a option to imagine things on your own, which is better. I got used to that font btw, it just took some time for me. Now I understand that title - Lets play Journal style :)
Thanks. :)

This is the name generator I used for his name: http://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/breton_names.php

They've got one for each Elder Scrolls race/culture, but they're not entirely canon, since there's no canon rules for generating names AFAIK. But they tend to come out about the same.

If I give them names, they tend to end up with names that sound like "From Earth, just dropped into Tamriel"...But I don't think I'm alone there. ;) :lol:

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

Why not Daggerfall's own in-game generator?

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Al-Khwarizmi wrote:Why not Daggerfall's own in-game generator?
...Daggerfall has a name generator?

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Narf the Mouse wrote:
Al-Khwarizmi wrote:Why not Daggerfall's own in-game generator?
...Daggerfall has a name generator?
And then I realized you had thought I was playing DFU, and I hadn't slipped into an alternate dimension missed a random name generator in Daggerfall for twenty years. Heh.