Daggerfall locations map

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
chtujo

Daggerfall locations map

Post by chtujo »

If anyone is interested, I've generated some maps of Daggerfall using a program I made. The maps shows the location, size, and shape of locations. Each pixel is equivalent to 4096 Daggerfall units, which is one block (or 1/8 th of a map pixel). This means that a large city like Daggerfall will be 8x8 pixels, while small dungeons that only have one surface block will be 1x1 pixel. The images are both 8000x4000 pixels.

The locations are colour coded as within Daggerfall.

I have two versions attached, one with the Daggerfall Unity heightmap as the background, and another with the heightmap from Freak2121's Interesting Eroded Terrain. Unfortunately due to the 2MB file attachment limit I had to compress the version with Freak2121's eroded heightmap. I would recommend downloading it since it looks a lot better .

Please make sure to open the image in a new tab, and to zoom in. Otherwise not all of the locations will show.

DFLocationsNew.png
DFLocationsNew.png (1.72 MiB) Viewed 2888 times

With eroded heightmap by Freak2121:
DFLocationsErodedHeighmapByFreak2121New.7z
(1.89 MiB) Downloaded 222 times

Interkarma

Re: Daggerfall locations map

Post by Interkarma »

I like this visualisation! Very cool to see the size and shape of location maps relative to the fullsize overworld map. Thank you for sharing. :)

TacticalTrickery

Post by TacticalTrickery »

chtujo wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:14 am ...I've generated some maps of Daggerfall using a program I made...
Dude, this is really cool! Just last week, I was scrounging around the whole internet looking for the coolest maps of the Iliac.

I first wanted to see what all the travel map replacers were now, especially from the DXL days, but then I got distracted by all the height-map ones I had forgotten about... lol

Good stuff, man! Well done.

...I wonder if there'd be a way to turn this into an awesomely detailed toggle-able layer of an interactive travel map. I imagine very intelligent zooming algorithms, to account for the small dot size, and in-turn make them useful as clickable locations still. I can see all that being a very interesting in-game option.
ENEMY SPELLBOOK @Nexus: Yellow-square spam, be gone!!
Ancient African proverb: To go fast, go alone. To go far, go together. ~ Humanity's greatest strength is in each other... don't waste it.

chtujo

Post by chtujo »

TacticalTrickery wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:38 pm
chtujo wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:14 am ...I've generated some maps of Daggerfall using a program I made...
Dude, this is really cool! Just last week, I was scrounging around the whole internet looking for the coolest maps of the Iliac.

I first wanted to see what all the travel map replacers were now, especially from the DXL days, but then I got distracted by all the height-map ones I had forgotten about... lol

Good stuff, man! Well done.

...I wonder if there'd be a way to turn this into an awesomely detailed toggle-able layer of an interactive travel map. I imagine very intelligent zooming algorithms, to account for the small dot size, and in-turn make them useful as clickable locations still. I can see all that being a very interesting in-game option.
Thanks for the feedback!

The program used to generate this, which I'm (still) working on, has something a bit like what you're describing. Although personally, I'd just call it 'Google Maps like'. You can zoom in, and click on locations for further information. See the attached file for what it looks like. I've wanted something like this as a replacement for the clunky original map screen, but unfortunately I don't have the required Unity programming skills to do it.
mapView.mkv.7z
(1.93 MiB) Downloaded 112 times

TacticalTrickery

Post by TacticalTrickery »

You bet man.
chtujo wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:23 am Thanks for the feedback!

The program used to generate this, which I'm (still) working on...
LOL "still" ...mmm, hmm... Yeah, I know that feeling ;) :lol: ... :geek: :x

Keep up the good work, and let everyone know when you have something you feel good about releasing.

I would be interested to work with you and some devs to implement this into the travel map; time permitting.

The way you can zoom all the way into the city pixel and then see the city itself is genius! ...I don't know I would have thought to create that myself.

:arrow: People should really check out your attached 7zip compressed video in post#4; that's rad. (download/file.php?id=8486)
ENEMY SPELLBOOK @Nexus: Yellow-square spam, be gone!!
Ancient African proverb: To go fast, go alone. To go far, go together. ~ Humanity's greatest strength is in each other... don't waste it.

chtujo

Post by chtujo »

Two more maps, this time in the style of Daggerfall's original map.

The first uses the default Daggerfall heightmap, the second uses Freak2121's eroded heightmap. As the second file was too large, I had to compress it into a WEBP file, however since the forums don't support WEBP attachments I then had to compress it again into a 7z file. To view this, just extract the WEBP file, and open it in your browser.

Again, make sure to open in a new tab, and zoom in to be able to see all the locations.
regionsMap1PxBorder.png
regionsMap1PxBorder.png (1.33 MiB) Viewed 2498 times
erodedRegionsMap1PxBorder.webp.7z
(1.18 MiB) Downloaded 101 times

yabay

Post by yabay »

Last edited by yabay on Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

chtujo

Post by chtujo »

yabay wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:16 am Is it possible to put a layer of climatic regions on this map?
https://images.uesp.net/d/d2/DF-map-Ili ... limate.png
It would be very convenient for Climate&Calories mod.
Here's something. I just took the above image and blended it with the climate map in GIMP. To be clear, this uses the vanilla climate map, which might not be what climate and calories uses. It is also just an image on the internet - there's no way to use it in game.
regionsMap1PxBorderWithClimate.png
regionsMap1PxBorderWithClimate.png (420.27 KiB) Viewed 2468 times

chtujo

Post by chtujo »

Here's one with just the climate map with the region borders, and no locations:
climateMap1PxBorder.png
climateMap1PxBorder.png (169.03 KiB) Viewed 2455 times