Arena / Tamriel Rebuilt... in Daggerfall!

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
11th_defender

Re: Arena / Tamriel Rebuilt... in Daggerfall!

Post by 11th_defender »

I think you are underestimating how much they scale it down. Even with tamriel the size of the iliac bay, it would still be thousands of times bigger than skyrim.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

11th_defender wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:43 pm I think you are underestimating how much they scale it down. Even with tamriel the size of the iliac bay, it would still be thousands of times bigger than skyrim.
I did a very rough comparison because I can't help myself: Image

And I admit you are right, it kinda works. Skyrim is a decently Daggerfall-sized province at this scale and Cyrodiil is still freaking huge o.O The Daggerfall provinces become more like counties size-wise but that's not that big of a deal.

I'm not gonna make this :D but I do have some experimenting to do. I think there's a heightmap of Tamriel floating about the internet and it's possible to replace heightmaps in the .PAK files.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

11th_defender

Post by 11th_defender »

Hopefully someone will because it would be amazing to see tamriel in most of it's glory.

Shapur

Post by Shapur »

I, personally, would rather have a detailed-ish Illiac Bay than an even bigger and blander Tamriel.
It would be of course awesome to have, but I don't think it's realistically doable. :cry:
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

apprihensivsoul

Post by apprihensivsoul »

For me, I'd love to see the source code tweaked to allow a heightmap the size of the entire continent on the scale of Daggerfall just to run around in. Obviously it's impossible to realistically go everywhere.

Another thing I was thinking that would be really cool is remaking the other TES game's content in the Daggerfall style. For instance, Arena, since that's the other free one, you don't really need to change much. All of Tamriel, all canonical towns and procedurally generate another 50-100x that using the regional naming conventions, regional terrain and texture variants to add continental diversity, reimagine the Arena dungeons in a few hand-built dungeons using the Daggerfall creator, and add the handful of permanent quests to the engine. The rest of the game just operating as the Iliac Bay does normally on a much larger scale.

(Note, this would be different than something like OpenTesArena, this is specifically still using Daggerfall's systems and mechanics, and to the best of ability artstyle, but applied to the first game's locations and quests.)

edelgart

Post by edelgart »

just make a pulll to see how many people would want it daggerfall sized or shrunk down,more people want it more people would help in making it,or that's just my wishfull thinking

TheDramaKwama

Post by TheDramaKwama »

I'm thinking on making a post/project for something along these lines, though I don't know about doing all of Tamriel. I don't know much coding though, as my skillset is in organization (I.E. professional ass-sitter.) With all that said, I will be making a post about it some time, and am working on learning to code and work with Unity more these days.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I would be interested in seeing a sort of what-if scenario. What if Morrowind had been done in the same way Daggerfall was done?

What I mean by that is go back to the the Arena maps and make a Vvardenfell map at the same scale as Daggerfall. Use all the same sorts of technics to create the landmass that the Daggerfall team used. This time add in the roads and rivers.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Jarlyjarljarl

Post by Jarlyjarljarl »

I'm wondering, how difficult would it be to change the source code so that you could swap out the world map in-game?

I'm not a programmer myself, so I have no idea how it would be done, but think of something similar to more modern Bethesda games where they have world instances.

What if someone or a team were to make Daggerfall sized provinces of the landmass and have the game swap out the map it references and loads in based on which province you are in?

Crossing the border of one of these maps into another would lead to a loading screen.

If doable then you could have your cake and eat it too.

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

I was curious about a fundamental problem anyone that will embark in this crazy project will face immediately, but I fail to find it mentioned anywhere: the fact that the Iliac Bay in Daggerfall has “wrong” cardinals compared to the rest of Tamriel.

If someone was insane enough to attempt a Tamriel rebuilding on the scale of original Daggerfall, how do you (community) think this issue should be approached?