heads up messages

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Regnier

heads up messages

Post by Regnier »

Are the messages at the top of the screen (skill level ups, you are entering...) modifiable so that they can be moved around the screen?

Im thinking we could have more context messages but in different parts of the screen so they dont all bury each other.

For instance top left could be for location context messages and climates and calories style messages

Bottom left over character vitals could be skill ups (short blade +1, backstabbing +1)

Bottom center for game saved etc.

The idea is to be able to add some representations of the dice rolls. I think this has been discussed before in some other thread.
You could see that you avoided a certain encounter (monster ran away), some text on screen could let you know how the townsfolk are stopping and revelling in your presence (when you have high rep)

Obviously youd need to keep it reasonable but i think changing the locations on screen would do a lot of that work inherently. Your mind will disregard certain messages but know to look top center for the meaningful messages.

In the future, for climates and calories, an icon can be put on screen or just an effect overlaid on the compass or vitals that indicates temperature, blue for cold red for hot.

Shapur

Re: heads up messages

Post by Shapur »

You can add custom UI elements (like the C&C icon) onto the HUD relative easily (see lootmenu). It's just standart Unity IMGUI.
About HUDText (I think that's what's it called in the source code), I don't know, but would like to see this implemented.
Link to my github here.
And here is my nexus profile.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

i just thought how it would be cool to have a message in a dungeon like
"You feel watched"
"You hear footsteps in the dark"
"Its too quiet"
These types of messages indicate an assassin/enemy is stalking you in the dungeon.

Near a town before a raid commences
"The ground rumbles beneath you"
"You hear a commotion in the distance"

Walking in town
"an unfriendly face meets your eye"
"someone brushes past you, pinching some coin"
"you catch the wrist of the sly pickpocket" for a passed check

While travelling and being followed
"You see a figure on the horizon"
"Stopping may be unsafe"

When that message pops up its an indication of a chance event. An enemy may or may not spawn, you may or may not lose gold...so on and so forth.

I know this is more than just messages on screen but the unobtrusive text could really add some immersion and make the game feel more alive.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

I actually created code for ambient text based on location, time of day, season etc but I am not creative to generate enough flavour text and couldn't find anyone who was willing as it's a lot of writing. I could try and pull the code out of mothballs if someone is interested and commits to doing the messages.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Hazelnut wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:00 pm I actually created code for ambient text based on location, time of day, season etc but I am not creative to generate enough flavour text and couldn't find anyone who was willing as it's a lot of writing. I could try and pull the code out of mothballs if someone is interested and commits to doing the messages.
i can

what are all the topics i can go for? mostly just date and time? reputation?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Check your PMs Regnier. Would be fantastic if you can get this dusted off and up to scratch ready for a release! 8-)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods