Do Practice Spells No Longer Work?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Consequence of Grace

Do Practice Spells No Longer Work?

Post by Consequence of Grace »

Back in the day I could use low cost spells to practice before I rested, but they no longer seem to work with a range of Touch.

Daggerfall used to use the magicka before you cast the spell, so we could cancel and cast again. But now it seems to need a valid target for a Touch spell before we use the Magicka, and we cannot cancel, just recast.

The same seems to happen with a range of Missile, so we can cast the spells and shoot at a wall, but not use the magicka and cancel the spell repeatedly.

Cheers!

Interkarma

Re: Do Practice Spells No Longer Work?

Post by Interkarma »

Practice spells work fine. You do have to actually cast the spell to gain experience though. You can't cheese it by repeatedly loading and cancelling the spell to get your mana back, and still skill up without actually casting anything.

Touch spells require a valid target to release spell, even in classic. You don't need touch spells for practice. Make a another low cost spell in that school instead, cast it until your mana is gone, rest and repeat.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

im not sure but if you wanna just get some leveling done you can use god mode.

` (tilda) to bring up console, then type tgm

remember to turn it off lol

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Now that's cheating the DFU way. :)

Consequence of Grace

Interkarma wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:51 pm You can't cheese it by repeatedly loading and cancelling the spell to get your mana back, and still skill up without actually casting anything.
Ah, OK, Cheers!

It's quite a while since I played DFU and I seem to have forgotten everything about it!

Anyway, Touch couldn't be cast, so I made some multi-school "Missile Burst" spells, that is a targeted explosion at a distance. My character has Spell Absorbtion, and if she faces a wall she gets some of the mana back, but not much. Depending on the school, she can either take the spell hit, Save vs Spell or Absorb Mana. It will probably be better to have a single school target of Self. I don't spend three weeks casting spells at the Fighters guild, but it makes sense when camping etc to practice.

Cheers!

:)

Consequence of Grace

Regnier wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:53 pm im not sure but if you wanna just get some leveling done you can use god mode.
Yes, but I only use that in an emergency. If I've been lost in a dungeon for 5 actual days, Monday to Friday, and I finally find the person or quest item, I don't want to be killed by a wandering Lich or Daedra Lord! Especially if I am only level 3!

Cheers!

:)