Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Vengeance" Update

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Interkarma

Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Vengeance" Update

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome To The "Vengeance" Update

This test cycle builds on processes established in the Fighters Update. If you're new to testing, I recommend checking that thread for more console commands that might help speed up your test sessions (check under Surviving Quests header).

The time has finally come to begin testing the main story quest in Daggerfall Unity. This is a multi-release process designed to test small parts of the main quest at a time. I am estimating three to four fast releases should see the main story quest playable with a non magic user character.

The purpose of these tests is to validate the execution flow of main quest scripts, not to play the game in the normal manner. For this reason, I don't recommend starting a level 1 character. Rather, import a high level and well-equipped character then use console commands below to initiate a quest stage. You can reset a quest stage at any time to restart the process from any point.

Console Commands

These commands will modify main quest state directly by setting player level, faction reputation, and global variable state. Please create a new save specifically for these tests - do not save over your main character!
  • clearmqstate - Purge all quests, sets all reputations to 0, clears all global variables. Use this to clear out all state. This will be called automatically by "setmqstage".
  • setlevel <level> - Sets player level to a value from 1 to 30. This does not change player's stats or equipment, just the numerical value of their level for script checks. You will not be able to distribute new attribute points. This will also be called by "setmqstage" to bring player to appropriate level for testing stage.
  • setmqstage <stage> - Resets player and world state for quest stage 1-N. Currently supported values are 1 or 2. See below for more information. Think of this command as restoring you to different checkpoints along the main story arc, or like bookmarks.

Quest Debugger

LeftShift+Tab - Cycle through quest debugger state: minimum/full/off.

[ and ] - Cycle through active quests.

Notes
  • An info-click (F3 for Info mode by default) on any NPC will also output your reputation for that person/faction. Don't forget to set interaction back to Grab mode (F2 by default).
  • You can play ahead of current test stage if you wish, but feedback will be considered out of scope for the time being. Some later quest scripts require action/condition support still under development and should not be expected to operate fully yet. A general rule of thumb is that if a main quest shows a display name in the debugger, that quest should be working.
  • Certain fixed NPCs (e.g. Nufalga, King of Worms) are not spawned by quest system. So you will not be able to use "tele2qspawn" or "tele2qitem" console commands. Instead, you will need to navigate dungeon the usual way.

Interkarma

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.4.x - "Vengeance" Update

Post by Interkarma »

setmqstage 1

State
  • Sets player level: 1
  • Sets globalvars: all cleared
  • Sets reputations: all reset to 0
  • Gives prerequisite items: none
Quests Outline
  • _BRISIEN - Starts main quest from the very beginning, as if player has just woken up in Privateer's Hold. After 7 days, you will receive a letter from Brisienna to meet in a random tavern.
  • S0000999 - The backbone quest is running at all times. This quest is responsible for triggering different stages of main story arc depending on player level and reputation.
  • S0000977 - The curse of King Lysandus. This spawns ghosts and wraiths in the city of Daggerfall at night. VENGEANCE!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

setmqstage 2

State
  • Sets player level: 3
  • Sets globalvars: MetLadyBrisienna
  • Sets reputations: Aubk-i +20; Morgiah +20
  • Gives prerequisite items: none
Quests Outline
  • Player should receive an invitation to visit Morgiah in Wayrest palace and start S0000004. Note: This quest gives you a fixed 30 days, so travel recklessly to Scourg Barrow and back!
  • Player can visit Queen Aubk-i in Daggerfall palace to start S0000005.
  • After S0000005 is complete, S0000013 will begin once player reputation with Queen Aubk-i exceeds 15. This should invite player to return to Queen Aubk-i after 10 days for remainder of quest.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Known Bugs & Limitations
  • Bug: Quest items (such as letters) are not properly removed from player's inventory when quest is tombstoned.
  • Bug: Quest rewards (other than gold) are not properly marked as permanent when script requires this.
  • Bug: Quest S0000013 does not execute proper flow. Currently impossible to start next part of quest by clicking on Aubk-i.
  • Bug: Dungeons have duplicate doors in some places. You will encounter one heading into the King of Worms' throne. I'm working on a general solution for this.
  • Limitation: Magic item rewards will not display correctly (they usually get shown as a ruby, blank, or some junk item). This will be fixed in 0.5 as magic system comes online.
  • Limitation: Questor not changed properly by "add npc as questor" or "drop npc as questor". Should not affect general testing.
  • Limitation: Reputation is not raised/lowered fully and propagated by quest system. This will be built out fully in 0.5. For now, quest system will set reputations as required from "setmqstage".

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Reserved.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I just downloaded the new live build! Thanks Interkarma! :) (And I actually read your instructions this time.)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay_H wrote:I just downloaded the new live build! Thanks Interkarma! :) (And I actually read your instructions this time.)
Cheers mate. I look forward to hearing everyone's feedback. I'll add any new issue under the "Known Bugs & Limitations" header above as they're found.

Have fun everyone! :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

_BRISIEN carries a bug over from classic. If you for some reason start _BRISIEN in some region that is not Daggerfall, Lady Brisienna will choose some city in your birth region, not Daggerfall. In my case it was The Bat and Wolf Inn in Shalgora, since I started _BRISIEN there.

If that's something you want to fix in the future I'll post a bug report, but if not I'll just ignore it. It only happens if you change starting region in z.cfg in classic.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm happy to ignore this one. A random Place resource (as this is) can only select from current region, so Brisienna will find player no matter which region they initiate the quest. Under normal circumstances it will be in the Daggerfall province. It's how the quest system is architected (and I emulate that) so the same outcome carries over.

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

A question out of curiosity. Do you use the vanilla quest files or do you use the quest fixes by Tipton (Fixed Quests) and PLRDLF (DFQFIX)?

And if not - do you intend to fix the same issues as they fixed? And use in this case e.g. Tiptons unofficial remake of the Cyndassa-Werbeast quest, where he changed (after my opinion) a bit to much. Or may the same quest errors occur in DFUnity, too? I am just looking into the crystal ball and was wondering. Later we may have two ways of playing Daggerfall - with or without DFUnity. And would it not be strange if the bugs aren't fixed in a unified way. One bug would occur in DFUnity which won't occur in the current patched Daggerfall and vice versa. Then you won't decide the way of playing Daggerfall after your personal preference but more or less where the least number of bugs occur. I mean the work done by them both is outstanding and making Daggerfall bugfree is an important point in getting all the "Buggerfall" players quite in the future. ;) Therefore I was just wondering how you will tackle that problem.

Or does it not matter at all, because DFUnity access just the Arena2 folder and the patching is in the hand of the player like now? But you had to convert the quests somehow (as far as I understood), so it may not that easy, or?
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online