Random crashes between area transitions

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Star-X

Random crashes between area transitions

Post by Star-X »

So for the past while, Daggerfall Unity has been randomly crashing between area transitions (e.g. outdoor to indoor and vice versa). It seems to be totally random, as I can sometimes play for hours with no crash, or 5 minutes after save loadup it crashes.

I thought maybe it was my old Daggerfall data files, so I swapped em out for a clean install. Nope, still crashes. Then I thought maybe it was the mods I was using, and ditched the ones that I thought might've caused it. Nope, still crashes.

The player.log contains the following right as it crashes:

Code: Select all

Caught fatal signal - signo:11 code:1 errno:0 addr:0xffffffff00000002
Obtained 19 stack frames.
#0  0x007f4fa2238560 in __sigaction
#1  0x007f4fa2ba2550 in GameObject::IsActive() const
#2  0x007f4fa2f1025f in Scripting::FindObjectsOfType(ScriptingSystemTypeObjectPtr, Scripting::FindMode)
#3  0x007f4fa2fcf67d in Object_CUSTOM_FindObjectsOfType(ScriptingBackendNativeObjectPtrOpaque*)
#4  0x00000040f46edd in (wrapper managed-to-native) UnityEngine.Object:FindObjectsOfType (System.Type)
#5  0x007f4eec85b7c5 in mono_print_method_from_ip
#6  0x007f4eec9cb390 in mono_perfcounter_foreach
#7  0x007f4eec9cc23d in mono_runtime_invoke
#8  0x007f4fa2f132f2 in scripting_method_invoke(ScriptingMethodPtr, ScriptingObjectPtr, ScriptingArguments&, ScriptingExceptionPtr*, bool)
#9  0x007f4fa2f1168a in ScriptingInvocation::Invoke(ScriptingExceptionPtr*, bool)
#10 0x007f4fa2ef7607 in MonoBehaviour::CallUpdateMethod(int)
#11 0x007f4fa2c5fc2d in void BaseBehaviourManager::CommonUpdate<BehaviourManager>()
#12 0x007f4fa2dcdade in ExecutePlayerLoop(NativePlayerLoopSystem*)
#13 0x007f4fa2dcdb21 in ExecutePlayerLoop(NativePlayerLoopSystem*)
#14 0x007f4fa2dce05a in PlayerLoop()
#15 0x007f4fa2f6b104 in PlayerMain(int, char**)
#16 0x007f4fa2223310 in __libc_start_call_main
#17 0x007f4fa22233c1 in __libc_start_main
#18 0x00000000400569 in _start
No mention of mods or anything.

The only thing I can think of that could be causing the error is the fact that I'm running the game through Steam, with the Daggerfall data files from DFWorkshop's site plopped into the ~/steamapps/common/The Elder Scrolls Daggerfall/DF/DAGGER folder, and Daggerfall Unity being installed in the ~/steamapps/common/The Elder Scrolls Daggerfall/Daggerfall-Unity folder, and the game being run with the launch option "/home/starx555/steamapps/common/The\ Elder\ Scrolls\ Daggerfall/Daggerfall-Unity/DaggerfallUnity.x86_64 # %command%" (which, fyi, reroutes Steam to load the first command and skip the actual running of DOSBox Daggerfall entirely). Maybe somehow Steam's mucking with DF Unity in a way that causes a crash?

FYI I'm using Arch Linux.

Mods shouldn't matter given that I don't see any mod classes mentioned in the above error, but I can go fetch it if need be.

EDIT: Few new developments.

I tried running the game without any mods or questpacks. Game ran fine for hours without issue. Then I tried running with all of my mods except Skyboxer, Enhanced Vanilla Skies, and Loadscreens. Seemed to be fine, but then the game crashed upon closing my inventory while in town. Blergh.

I'm uploading the Player.log from before and the current one.
Attachments
Playerlogs.zip
(65.13 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Last edited by Star-X on Wed May 11, 2022 5:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Interkarma

Re: Random crashes between area transitions

Post by Interkarma »

Hi there, thanks for posting to forums. :)

Please remove all mods as part of testing. These kinds of issues are rarely caused by the mods you might think, and the only way to test this properly is to remove all mods then add them back once a time. It would also be ideal if you could attach a zip of your complete "Player.log" after triggering crash.

Launching Daggerfall Unity via Steam is not supported at this time. Even after patching the game files, you should be launching DFU from it's own folder, not through Steam. This might change as we add more support for Steam install later. For now, the recommended method is still to use a clean DaggerfallGameFiles setup when all else fails.

I'll defer this one to the Linux users in our development team if someone could please assist.

Cheers.

Star-X

Post by Star-X »

Updated main post with some more info.

Also, here's my mod load order. Hopefully someone can figure out which one is the culprit, as the random nature of the crashes makes testing each one a gigantic pain in the neck.

Actions
Unofficial Block, Location, and Model Fixes
UBLaMF - Map Blocks Addon
Aquatic Sprites
BasicManaRegen
BasicRoads
Better Ambiance
Convenient Clock
Expand Dyed Clothes
Detailed City Walls
Fixed Dungeon Exteriors
Improved Interior Lighting
RoleplayRealism
JewelryAdditions
Lagless
LevelUp Adjuster
Lively Cities
Mighty Foot
NPCHealthIndicators
Nine's Cathay - Oblivion
No nudity
Paints and Dyes
Persistent Dungeons
PhysicalCombatAndArmorOverhaul
Potions of Illiac Bay
RandomStartingDungeon
Races Redone
Power Struggle
RoleplayRealism-Items
RepairTools
Taverns Redone
Transparent Windows
TravelOptions
Sneak and Crouch Combined
The-Penwick-Papers
Soldier's Luxury (Guild Renovation Project)
Vanilla Enhanced - Villagers
Vanilla Enhanced - Villains & Monsters
ViewableSkillProgress

EDIT: Tried disabling Transparent Windows, Aquatic Sprites, Taverns Redone, Nine's Cathay Oblivion, both remaining Vanilla Enhanced modules, Paints and Dyes, Expand Dyed Clothes, and Potions of Illiac Bay. From what I played I had zero crashes. Tommorow I'll be seeing if Taverns Redone and Aquatic Sprites are the culprits, or if it's one of the others.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for updates with so many details as you work through your mods.

Star-X

Post by Star-X »

So doing more testing, Taverns Redone and Aquatic Sprites both work fine. No crashes all day today.

At this point I'm 99% sure it's either Potions of Illiac Bay, Vanilla Enhanced in general, or Transparent Windows causing the crashes. The others just don't seem like they're responsible for the game crashing, though I'd have to do more testing to be sure. Definitely leaning towards Transparent Windows being the problem though as dungeons didn't tend to trigger it; typically the crashes happened in towns, and given how Transparent Windows is using a very novel solution to the concept of interiors and exteriors, it's totally understandable that it might be unstable.