Cannot start Open a Chest in a town that has only 1 pawn shop.

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Lywzc

Cannot start Open a Chest in a town that has only 1 pawn shop.

Post by Lywzc »

The Possessed Child does not spawn a daedroth for me to kill and Open a Chest always show no help needed.
SAVE2.zip
(297.26 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
This is the save.
Last edited by Lywzc on Tue May 31, 2022 1:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ralzar

Re: Cannot complete The Possessed Child and cannot start Open a Chest

Post by Ralzar »

The Possessed Child quest does not always spawn a daedroth and it is never the goal of the quest to kill the daedroth.

Lywzc

Post by Lywzc »

Ralzar wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:23 am The Possessed Child quest does not always spawn a daedroth and it is never the goal of the quest to kill the daedroth.
I found the problem. I tried to spoke to the priest and the quest give but not the guardian. Then this one is solved. What about the problem that I can not get that quest? Does it have some requiements?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Open a Chest requires a pawn shop in the same city you're in, so I'd assume that's the reason the quest is failing.

Lywzc

Post by Lywzc »

Jay_H wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:47 am Open a Chest requires a pawn shop in the same city you're in, so I'd assume that's the reason the quest is failing.
But there is a pawn shop in the town.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Lywzc wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:57 am
Jay_H wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:47 am Open a Chest requires a pawn shop in the same city you're in, so I'd assume that's the reason the quest is failing.
Which region and city are you in?

Lywzc

Post by Lywzc »

Ralzar wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 12:43 pm
Lywzc wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 11:57 am
Which region and city are you in?
Newwick in Daggerfall.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Issue with Open a Chest (N0B00Y16) is that it currently needs 2x local pawn shops in same town. Here's the breakdown.

First, quest Person logic assigns a pawn shop for the merchant's automatic home based on the resource parameters.

Code: Select all

Person _merchant_ face 87 group Pawnbroker female local
// Internerally the above line generates an automatic Place resource like below
Place _merchant_home_ local pawnshop
Then quest logic tries to find a pawn shop to set the quest, which it can't do because the Person resource now owns the local pawn shop.

Place _shop_ local pawnshop
The breaking change here is the one making the Pawnbroker local in Match quest NPCs location scopes and genders to classic

The easiest fix is to just make the merchant's group something other than Pawnbroker, or make the Pawnbroker not local as it was before.

The merchant doesn't really need to be local in this case anyway because the quest specifically moves them there.

place npc _merchant_ at _shop_ 
I've pushed a fix for this and quest now compiles and plays OK in a town with just one pawn shop.

Lywzc

Post by Lywzc »

Interkarma wrote: Sat May 21, 2022 10:30 pm Issue with Open a Chest (N0B00Y16) is that it currently needs 2x local pawn shops in same town. Here's the breakdown.

First, quest Person logic assigns a pawn shop for the merchant's automatic home based on the resource parameters.

Person _merchant_ face 87 group Pawnbroker female local
// Internerally the above line generates an automatic Place resource like below
Place _merchant_home_ local pawnshop
Then quest logic tries to find a pawn shop to set the quest, which it can't do because the Person resource now owns the local pawn shop.

Place _shop_ local pawnshop
The breaking change here is the one making the Pawnbroker local in Match quest NPCs location scopes and genders to classic

The easiest fix is to just make the merchant's group something other than Pawnbroker, or make the Pawnbroker not local as it was before.

The merchant doesn't really need to be local in this case anyway because the quest specifically moves them there.

place npc _merchant_ at _shop_ 
I've pushed a fix for this and quest now compiles and plays OK in a town with just one pawn shop.
Thanks for the fix!

Lywzc

Re: [Not a Bug and Fixed]Cannot complete The Possessed Child and cannot start Open a Chest

Post by Lywzc »

nvm I can get the quest 8 in 10 times.