weapon durability

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
esran

weapon durability

Post by esran »

From reading the wiki it would seem durability of a weapon depends only on its material, not its type, at least for magic items. However this appears to not be the case for non magic weapons as short bows break way faster than other weapons of the same material in my experience. Is there any place to look up the durability of various weapons, and how fast they wear out?

Jay_H

Re: weapon durability

Post by Jay_H »

I don't know if it's the same chart as this one, but I imagine so: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Enc ... m_Capacity. Daggers, tantos, and shortbows all seem to last very little, which is what that table reflects.

Oblivionaddicted

Post by Oblivionaddicted »

Except if I'm wrong the resistance of a magic item depends of your skill in the related magic school(s).

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Nope, that's a convention of Morrowind and beyond. You can see how it works in Daggerfall here: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Mag ... ical_Items

Oblivionaddicted

Jay_H wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:42 am Nope, that's a convention of Morrowind and beyond. You can see how it works in Daggerfall here: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Mag ... ical_Items
I never red anywhere that your enchanted gear wears out faster in Morrowind if your skill with the applied magic effects is low and I know the enchanted objects don't wear out faster whether they are enchanted or not in Oblivion.

By the way I recently discovered you can increase the health of your gear by editing your savegames.

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Oh well, you can do many things editing your save games :D

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I never red anywhere that your enchanted gear wears out faster in Morrowind if your skill with the applied magic effects is low
In Morrowind, it's the Enchanting skill;
Skilled enchanters are more likely to be successful at creating new items, their enchanted items use less power and are recharged more efficiently by soul gems.
in Skyrim, it's the skill you have with the corresponding magic school. Oblivion has no compensating mechanic.

Oblivionaddicted

Jay_H wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:33 am In Morrowind, it's the Enchanting skill;
Skilled enchanters are more likely to be successful at creating new items, their enchanted items use less power and are recharged more efficiently by soul gems.

In other words your enchanting skill does not influence the speed at which your weapons wear out, like I wrote.

The ability to easily edit the savegames is one of the many things that make I largely prefer DFU over the vanilla Daggerfall.
Last edited by Oblivionaddicted on Thu Jun 09, 2022 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Oblivionaddicted wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:53 pm

In other words your enchanting skill does not influence the speed at which your weapons wear out, like I wrote.
I think you were the one that started talking about magic items resistance being influenced by magic skills:
Oblivionaddicted wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:27 am Except if I'm wrong the resistance of a magic item depends of your skill in the related magic school(s).

Oblivionaddicted

Arneb wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 9:16 am
Oblivionaddicted wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:53 pm

I think you were the one that started talking about magic items resistance being influenced by magic skills:
Oblivionaddicted wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 10:27 am Except if I'm wrong the resistance of a magic item depends of your skill in the related magic school(s).
I started talking about the magic items resistance being influenced by the magic skills IN DAGGERFALL.