[MOD] Fixed Desert Architecture

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Cliffworms

[MOD] Fixed Desert Architecture

Post by Cliffworms »

Download on Daggerfall Unity Nexus
Watch the trailer

Changelog
Spoiler!

- Wealthy home locations (Manors, Palaces, Courts, Halls) have been changed.
- Manors and Palaces now have more buildings and a tavern.
- Courts and Halls now have a fountain for thirsty Climate & Calories travelers.

Fixed the issue that disabled the towns of Ramoparia (Abibon-Gora) and Sedettu-Thar (Kairou).
"Desertified" the block called BOOKAM02. All town blocks should now have desert architecture.
"Desertified" Abibon-Gora City. All cities should now be covered.
Applied Unofficial Block, Location and Model Fixes' changes for compatibility.

Added Finding My Religion's temple layouts in desert temples
Removed unused location files from the mod file
Fixed Desert Architecture replaces angled-roof buildings in desert towns with their flat-roof counterparts. You may easily notice this change in marketplaces, around temples and Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood guild halls.

In addition, residents of the replaced buildings are now mostly Redguards instead of Bretons. Some shops' interiors have also been redesigned. Libraries look like actual libraries now, for instance.

Finally, all buildings touched by this mod have had small interior fixes applied. Furniture is aligned along the walls, hanged lamps are centered with the ceiling and they now all have quest markers, meaning that more house types can now be used by the game's quest generation. You may stumble upon houses you've never seen before because they didn't previously have quest markers.

Enjoy!

INSTALLATION

First, make sure you are not inside a desert town building when installing this mod.

Either install using Vortex Mod Manager or install manually as described below.
Extract the content of the archive to the StreamingAssets of your Daggerfall Unity directory.

Example : [Your drive]\DagUnity\DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets

The .dfmod file will be installed in "Mods".

In-game, activate Fixed Desert Architecture from the mod launcher.

UNINSTALLATION
First, make sure you are not inside a desert building when uninstalling this mod.

Simply remove the mod file from the "Mods" folder, under StreamingAssets.

SAVE GAMES

For existing save games, make sure you are not inside a desert town building before enabling or disabling this mod.
Compatible with both new and active save games.

CONFLICTS/KNOWN ERRORS

Compatible with Finding My Religion.
Compatible with Finding My Religion and Unofficial Block, Location and Model Fixes
If you're using The Archeologists, the guild halls of Santaki (Santaki), Jalijer (Dak'fron), Bubandanis (Sentinel), Khajogujer (Sentinel) and Lajrea (Tigonus) will not be present.

May conflict with other mods altering specific desert cities.
If you encounter any issue with the mod, please let me know.

CREDITS

XJDHDR for Unofficial Block, Location and Model Fixes
BadLuckBurt for extracting all of Daggerfall's building and location data.
Hazelnut and Uncanny Valley for the World Data Editor.
Interkarma and the wonderful community that gave us Daggerfall Unity
The DFU community for feedback.
Daggerfall's development team, how could I not credit them?

ImageImage
Last edited by Cliffworms on Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.

gunsling3r

Re: [WIP] Desert Architecture

Post by gunsling3r »

Great work, I would like to contribute and learn the skill at the same time. Do you have any tutorials on how to do this or need help?

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

Thanks! I appreciate your offer to help, though everything's fine on my own at the moment.

There aren't tutorials on how to do that. But I can list the steps I'm taking for each block I'm modifying.

- Find a location using the block I want edited using dumplocblocks BLOCKNAME
- Go to that location and enter all buildings, dumping them using dumpbuilding
- Open the building editor in the world data editor and find the flat building matching the size of the non-flat one.
- Then I decide if I keep the same interior or if I change it. Most of the time, I'll change the sprites so the residents are Redguards. I'll also add more quest markers and fix up any misplaced furniture.

Voilà! Rinse and repeat for the other blocks. I'm slowly but surely getting there. I think I'm more than halfway done.

carademono

Post by carademono »

Cliffworms wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 1:50 pm Thanks! I appreciate your offer to help, though everything's fine on my own at the moment.
I think what Cliff means to say is, we'd LOVE to invite people interested in building locations to join the World of Daggerfall team :) If you're interested, please send a PM to me, Cliffworms, or Kab the Bird Ranger on the Lysandus' Tomb Discord channel, and we'll walk you through setting up and using the editor. It's not at all challenging to learn.

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

Work continues! Since I work in a library, I can't contain myself from redesigning the game's libraries in desert blocks. So here are several screenshots of two of the new libraries you'll encounter.

Those interiors were built from scratch by using the single wall/floor/ceiling models the game has but never uses. This allows the creation of new and refreshing layouts, at the price of having to place each piece by hand. But the results speak for themselves, I think. :)

ImageImage

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

A sight to behold!
I was wandering, are these heavy (framerate-wise)?

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

Arneb wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 10:03 am A sight to behold!
I was wandering, are these heavy (framerate-wise)?
Thanks!

The new interiors run great, framerate-wise. There aren't many lights or assets used actually. :)

Cliffworms

Re: [MOD] Fixed Desert Architecture

Post by Cliffworms »

It's a wrap! :D
I edited a trailer to showcase the changes. I think it's easier to see how it affects desert cities. Enjoy!

Download on Daggerfall Unity Nexus
Watch the trailer

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

The mod has been updated to 1.1.

It adds Finding My Religion's temple layouts to the desert temples, thus making it compatible with it.
It also removes several unused location files from the mod file.

Cheers!

Cliffworms

Post by Cliffworms »

Version 1.2 released!

- Fixed the issue that disabled the towns of Ramoparia (Abibon-Gora) and Sedettu-Thar (Kairou).
- "Desertified" the block called BOOKAM02. All town blocks should now have desert architecture.
- "Desertified" Abibon-Gora City. All cities should now be covered.
- Applied Unofficial Block, Location and Model Fixes' changes for compatibility.