High GPU Usage Tavern

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Baler

High GPU Usage Tavern

Post by Baler »

Problem: A particular Tavern is causing high GPU usage compared to other taverns which seem fine.
Up to double the gpu usage in this particular tavern.

I've tested this on: 0.13.5, 0.13.4, 0.13.3, 0.13.2, 0.13.1, 0.13.0, 0.12.3, 0.12.2, 0.12.1 & 0.12.0
Before every test I deleted "AppData\LocalLow\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity" Folder
No mods were used/active or present what so ever

-----
I discussed this in PMs with Magicono43 on Discord. They discovered that there is over double the lines in the dumpbuilding json compared to another tavern. I have attached the json files for comparison.
They also suggested that it may be due to duplicates within this building.
Attachments
Inn_Block_Data_Comparisons.rar
Comparison between High GPU Usage Tavern and another Tavern Json
(4.17 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

Magicono43

Re: High GPU Usage Tavern

Post by Magicono43 »

Yeah, I did not check too much deeper into this, but my first guess is just that this particular inn interior block just has alot of crap and light/light sources in it from the base game data that bogs down the GPU more due to this extra stuff in a small area. That's just my guess though.

Here are the notes I made from this quick testing:
GPU is about 15-20% usage "ambient" when outside buildings and such.
Inside that particular inn it was 35-40%
Inside a random resident building it was 20-25%
Inside another inn north "The King's Goat" it was 25-30%

Baler

Post by Baler »

All default out of the box settings, no mods and using clean fresh appdata files.

"The King's Goat"
Standing just inside upon entering.
50% GPU Usage / 1110 regular core clock
-
Standing outside facing the door.
64% GPU Usage / 1360 automatic core overclock

"The White Dog"
Standing just inside upon entering.
100% GPU Usage / 1360 auto core overclock
-
Standing outside facing the door.
72% GPU Usage / 1360 automatic core overclock

-----
I've attached a save game Standing inside "The White Dog", the problematic tavern.
Attachments
SAVE0.zip
(218.82 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

I bet it's the amount of lights in that tavern. It has about 10 of those hanging lights in very close proximity to each other. I believe there is a setting under Video that does something to improve performance in interiors with many lights, toggling that on and off should confirm whether it's the lights or not.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:54 pm I bet it's the amount of lights in that tavern. It has about 10 of those hanging lights in very close proximity to each other. I believe there is a setting under Video that does something to improve performance in interiors with many lights, toggling that on and off should confirm whether it's the lights or not.
Yeah and if that's the case it would probably be more down to a mod to change the problem interiors with block-data/design like this and reduce the amount of redundant light sources and such. Which is probably not the worst idea honestly if somebody wanted to do that, I'm sure there are many "cluttered" interior blocks like this from the original game, lol.

Baler

Post by Baler »

Did a quick test and set everything in the Advanced Settings Video tab to the lowest setting. (including resolution)

27% gpu usage at The White Dog
12% gpu usage at The King's Goat
Both regular 1110 core clock.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

If your PC has trouble with many overlapping interior lights, the following two settings will have the most impact. Try disabling interior shadows first, then enable ambient lit interiors.

Code: Select all

InteriorLightShadows = False
AmbientLitInteriors = True
These settings are also available in the launcher menu under Advanced > Video.

Baler

Post by Baler »

Interkarma wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 9:55 pm If your PC has trouble with many overlapping interior lights, the following two settings will have the most impact. Try disabling interior shadows first, then enable ambient lit interiors.

Code: Select all

InteriorLightShadows = False
AmbientLitInteriors = True
These settings are also available in the launcher menu under Advanced > Video.
How can you recommend I proceed after testing that?
Nothing is off limits, I want to help improve DFU

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Baler wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:28 pm How can you recommend I proceed after testing that?
Nothing is off limits, I want to help improve DFU
This is just my recommendation if you are bored and want potentially help make the individual buildings have better performance, at least for the interior parts.

When you find any builds/interiors/dungeons or whatever that seem to have particular poor performance, or are notably taxing on your GPU compared to the average, note them down and make a list or something. Once you have them noted down you can possibly have a post on the forum somewhere about "poor performance/laggy locations" or something.

Then if anyone that wants to potentially try to improve the performance of those blocks they can just reference that location in question, dump the location data and edit the block, make a mod with those "fixed" interior blocks and such, then if anyone uses that "interior performance improvement" mod they will benefit from locations that are less unnecessarily taxing on their system and framerate, etc.

That's just my two-cents if you wanted to pretty passively (as you are playing) help "bug test" for this particular thing. Find a place that seems to be chugging FPS-wise? Note it down and put it on a list, then eventually somebody might get to fixing it in their free-time in a mod or something.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Hm, doubt anyone would do that seeing how this issue is being handled, so why even bother?