I'm that Zakh guy that helped with the GOG Cut - Questions/Concerns/Criticisms?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
ShortBeard

Re: I'm that Zakh guy that helped with the GOG Cut - Questions/Concerns/Criticisms?

Post by ShortBeard »

Hi Zakh,

Welcome and hello. Quick disclosure, I was 100% asked permission, and granted it freely. And I wouldn't have minded if I wasn't asked as I am just happy to have my mod be enjoyed by a lot of people - but I understand why some modders would be frustrated with this. But that's more of a GOG thing and not you. Not much more to say on that point without beating a dead horse.

I want to also say thank you for spear-heading the GOG cut initiative. I personally believe it has turned out great, despite some of the aforementioned shortcomings surrounding some compatibility and the permission issues. To me, I just get enjoyment seeing a ton of new players enjoy an experience we have all collectively worked on. As you have stated, a lot of newer gamers out there won't touch anything that has visible pixels or looks "old", so I think you made a great choice with the mod list for maximum exposure. I sincerely believe we have ended up with a great result.

If the GOG Cut project is to continue, be updated, add new mods etc, I think everything would be a lot more smooth if there was a more direct, collaborative effort between GOG, yourself, the modders and Gavin. I think some of the issues this time around probably arose from the whole process being somewhat disjointed between all parties involved. I guess it just depends on everyone's personal level of commitment.

Everything said, I think this whole thing has been really cool. Thanks for coming to talk with us, it's much appreciated!

GamerZakh

Re: I'm that Zakh guy that helped with the GOG Cut - Questions/Concerns/Criticisms?

Post by GamerZakh »

Thanks ShortBeard!

I do think GOG (the company) is happy with how the experiment turned out, so I think GOG (the people running this project) might get more support moving forward with it and have better timelines and more resources to do things more carefully and properly.

Working closer with Gavin and modders would make sense as any further updates or releases can be done in more specific and effective ways if everyone is able to contribute.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Installed GOG cut. Run my old DFU, realized all settings are messed up. Deleted GOG cut, realized ALL my saves of DFU are lost. Kind of my experience with it. Restoring my settings according to my own Nexus page was not that bad.

Loss of all saves is really bad, because that means all 160 characters Ive had created to test all various paperdoll setups, plus their vampire states. Thats a lot of work. Plus many many saves on my main character, which I used to track various things ingame, test texture changes, NPCs, bugs...

I take it as another sign for me to move on . Trying hard to keep my cool about it...

So my suggestion might be to keep GOG Cut settings separated and to NOT DELETE ALL SAVES WITHOUT ASKING ON UNINSTALL :roll: :evil:

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

King of Worms wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:25 pm Installed GOG cut. Run my old DFU, realized all settings are messed up. Deleted GOG cut, realized ALL my saves of DFU are lost. Kind of my experience with it. Restoring my settings according to my own Nexus page was not that bad.

Loss of all saves is really bad, because that means all 160 characters Ive had created to test all various paperdoll setups, plus their vampire states. Thats a lot of work. Plus many many saves on my main character, which I used to track various things ingame, test texture changes, NPCs, bugs...

I take it as another sign for me to move on . Trying hard to keep my cool about it...

So my suggestion might be to keep GOG Cut settings separated and to NOT DELETE ALL SAVES WITHOUT ASKING ON UNINSTALL :roll: :evil:
If you are lucky, all your saves got synced up to GOGs cloud. If you reinstall GOG Cut via the same user, you might get lucky and get all the saves synced back in.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

But yeah, for anyone who uses DFU without GOG Cut, the GOG Cut installer might pose some threats to your existing setups. Since GOG Cut changes DFU settings, mod settings, has its own Daggerfall source files and uses cloud saves. When you apply this to the fact that DFU has one set of files that all your DFU builds shares for these things, the GOG Cut will probably globally change a bunch of stuff for all your builds.

Can you even run DFU builds after uninstalling GOG Cut? I mean, the path to the DF source files is probably changed right? To a path that got uninstalled with the GOG Cut?

pango

Post by pango »

Ralzar wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:57 pm Can you even run DFU builds after uninstalling GOG Cut? I mean, the path to the DF source files is probably changed right? To a path that got uninstalled with the GOG Cut?
If DFU doesn't detect by itself that it's now pointing at a missing directory (it should), you can always click on "< Restart" at the top of the installer to re-start the selection of the classic Daggerfall path.

Also, make backups of anything you care about, guys.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'm planning some upgrades to settings and keybinds file naming conventions to support side-by-side distributions in the future. For example, my distribution might use "settings-dfworkshop.ini" and GOG Cut might use "settings-gogcut.ini". This will allow end products like GOG Cut to roll out bespoke settings to achieve a specific vision without also taking a wrecking ball to settings created by my distribution.

I tested installing and uninstalling a few times to understand how KoW's save games might have been deleted. The GOG Galaxy uninstall process only deleted my saves when ticking the box in prompt below. When not ticked my saves and settings were left untouched.

uninstall.JPG
uninstall.JPG (24.03 KiB) Viewed 1481 times

When uninstalling via Uninstall or change a program in Windows, my saves were only deleted when selecting "No" to keeping saves in below prompt.

uninstall-prompt.JPG
uninstall-prompt.JPG (16.04 KiB) Viewed 1481 times

I'd personally prefer GOG Cut didn't delete saves or data at all. It's a bad outcome for KoW this happened.

KoW, try Ralzar's trick of reinstalling GOG Cut. You might get lucky and get your saves back from cloud. Fingers crossed.

pango wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:18 pm If DFU doesn't detect by itself that it's now pointing at a missing directory (it should), you can always click on "< Restart" at the top of the installer to re-start the selection of the classic Daggerfall path.
Correct, DFU checks gamedata on every launch. If the gamedata folder goes missing it will prompt for path again like on initial setup.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Reinstaling it back again returned all the saves, great help guys, thank you.. would have never thought about it.
PS: I did not have "keep save files" prompt when removing the game. Doublechecked this time as well.

I click "Uninstall" in the GOG game folder (where the DFU GOG executable is) - it asks if I want to remove all game components - yes/no
and thats it. I did not see anything like you have in the screens IK. Twice.

Seems you have not tried this option.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Great, happy you had a good result and got the saves back from cloud. :)

Thanks for detail on how it happened. Yep, I'd definitely steer clear of running uninstallers direct from file system. Always use the front-ends where possible.

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:10 am Yep, I'd definitely steer clear of running uninstallers direct from file system. Always use the front-ends where possible.
To be fair, I always use the uninstallers in the folder and with the normal GOG games, it will ask if you want to keep your save games or not.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt