BSOD on GOG repack

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
overeager69

BSOD on GOG repack

Post by overeager69 »

Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here, nice to meet y'all

I am playing the GOG version of Daggerfall with only the climates & calories mod added to the mix, and the sky mod disabled cause the old texture is way more atmospheric for me. I consistently get blue screens of death upon playing for like half an hour. Here's my machine:

I've tried lowering the video settings and turning off some shadow mods and graphic details to no avail.

Any suggestions or ideas on what could be causing this and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Emil

Jay_H

Re: BSOD on GOG repack

Post by Jay_H »

Hello :) Are you able to provide your player log? You can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360&p=27552#p27552

overeager69

Post by overeager69 »

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey Emil, welcome to the forums. :)

I'm sorry to say this is a sign of some deeper problem - such as hardware, drivers, or some OS issue. It's just bad luck that DFU happens to be the thing triggering this right now.

Getting Windows to BSOD is a lot harder than people realise. From a software angle it requires deeper execution privileges than something like the Unity runtime actually has. There needs to be an interaction with a driver or something closer to the Windows kernel.

Are you able to tell us the STOP error code displayed when BSOD occurs? This will provide some clue (though not always helpful) to where STOP error actually took place. You can also use a tool like Nirsoft's BlueScreenView (downlad zip version) to get data from the minidump and see the crash stack. This can help narrow things down to a specific driver or module.

If you'd prefer just to focus on DFU alone, please try setting up using the recommended DaggerfallGameFiles method and the game data provided. In addition, please delete the settings.ini (how to locate) to ensure game is reset with factory settings. Don't install any mods until you can confirm game is stable or not.

I unfortunately can't provide much support for GOG Cut directly. I wasn't involved with creating that distribution or any of the mods included. Starting from a nice clean cutdown version of DFU is a good starting point and building back up from there. The base DFU install is very lean by comparison and might help avoid the problem if nothing else.

overeager69

Post by overeager69 »

Hi Interkama,

Sure, I'll take a screen of the bsod next time around. I deleted my settings.ini file, will report if that fixes anything.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you. I also recommended performing the DaggerfallGameFiles setup in addition to deleting settings.ini. This leaves you with a clean setup of DFU to test with.

You might not be aware, but I didn't create or package GOG Cut (this was all done by GOG themselves). So I'm trying to guide you back to setting up a standard version of DFU instead. :)

If you want to get more data out of those BSODs, the BlueScreenView tool is very helpful. The crash stack will show what driver or module was involved. I use this tool all the time in my job and it can usually help isolate the problem when it's software related.

overeager69

Post by overeager69 »

Oh, no, I know the GOG cut was done by GOG. But I assumed they built it using your work and other modders, no? So I'd say they're standing on the shoulders of giants.

I come back to Daggerfall every few months for a couple of weeks and usually what I used to do was delete it, install the updated version, re-apply mods and stuff, but I felt too lazy to go through it all again after the last update, so when I found out there was a GOG cut, I thought I'd give it a go.

Deleting the settings.ini seems to have worked, no BSODs for the time being. Thanks! :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm happy to hear clearing the settings helped. :)