Clothing & Cleanliness a Mod suggestion

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
C0rg1

Clothing & Cleanliness a Mod suggestion

Post by C0rg1 »

The idea is simple.
Make clothing have a reason to exist in Daggerfall.
I don't mean armor or protective gear, I mean clothing.
Clothing to the most part is decoration unless you consider the "climate and calories" mod.

In this mod concept all clothing has new stats that affect your reputation and interaction with various classes within the world of Daggerfall. You wont be allowed to see the King in worn and dirty clothing or a party quest likewise. This mod makes having a spare set of clean everyday clothing a necessity.

It also has the side effect of needing to add a "bath house"/ "washroom" mod to clean up in. Possibly an option when interacting with the inn keep. Magic could add a "mend" or "clean" spell to accomidate the need.

Other considerations is that clothing found on corpses in dungeons; if they were worn, as default they are dirty and damaged depending on the creature it came off of. If it was a dress found in addition to the regular clothes it can be clean.

By itself the mod is for immersion only.
New suggested stats are as follows.

Worn/New - already exists. I'm not sure how this works with reputation if at all.
Dirty/Clean - If you are dirty people treat you as though you have less reputation reguardless of class.
Rare/common - This affects interaction with upper and lower society. Upper class treats you better with rare clothing than common clothing and vice versa.
Exposed/Modest - This affects how people treat you. Without clothing you are always considered exposed. This one is for all that revealing clothing you find. I get the indication half are meant for formal parties and the other for appearance. The formal stuff would be meant for upper class interaction and the other for lower classes.
Geared/Unequiped - This is in relation to how much armor/battle gear you are wearing. Many priest will not speak with a fighter if their god looks down on violence. Fighters will look for individuals with their own gear. Kings may not speak to those they see as a threat of violence if they need a peacefull quest taker.

That's my idea for an immersion mod that makes clothing a necessity in Daggerfall.
Basicly "you dress to impress".

Lywzc

Re: Clothing & Cleanliness a Mod suggestion

Post by Lywzc »

Clothings are important enchanting slots. That alone made them useful enough.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

I considered doing something like this when I did the clothes mechanics for Climates&Calories. The problem is really that there are not enough clothing options.
It is hard to even tell what would be fancy clothing or not from the selections available.
So a first step for this should really be a visual overhaul and expanding of the clothing options available.

billyloist

Post by billyloist »

I had a similar idea, and that's basically how I use clothing for every character I play. Even if gameplay doesn't require it, it still nice to have aesthetic and fashion for RP reasons. And one question I always had was - where all the baths in TES games? Toilets? You might have an occasional pool or a loo there and there, but that's it.

C0rg1

Post by C0rg1 »

I too give my game characters color matched clothing. Ie blue set, red set, etc.

Alderwood

Post by Alderwood »

C0rg1 wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:17 pm You wont be allowed to see the King in worn and dirty clothing or a party quest likewise.
Depends on the king I imagine. A righteous one will listen to the woes of the common people and get juicy gossip from travelers, and a not-so-righteous king will just tell the guards to go play fetch.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

I certainly think clothes should change how various people treat you: Impressive clothes for court, impressive armor for the fighters guild, low clothing for the common folk and thieves guild, enchanted clothes for the mages guild, etc. Some might think you look distinguished while others might think you are putting on airs.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.