[MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
HimanshuWilhelm

Re: [MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Post by HimanshuWilhelm »

Kab the Bird Ranger wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:26 pm Hey Blessed,

Vanilla Enhanced has been getting reports that Ambidexterity breaks enemies with VE - Villains & Monsters enabled.

I believe the cause of such issues might be code like the following:
https://github.com/l3lessed/l3lessed-DF ... er.cs#L184

Your code searches explicitly for the DFU component `DaggerfallMobileUnit` instead of the more generic interface `MobileUnit`. VE replaces the mobile unit script with a new one, and implements the `MobileUnit` interface, so it should work with little problems if you just update your code.

Hazel's been having similar problems with Roleplay&Realism before he added this interface a few versions ago, it's normal if you missed it.
I've noticed that having the Physical Combat and Armour overhaul or the Bossfall mod installed fixed the issue I was having with Ambidexterity and VAnilla Enhanced; Player character becomes impossible to hit.

HimanshuWilhelm

Post by HimanshuWilhelm »

Anyone else experience that they can't hit anything when the speed attribute is above 100? Even doors and walls become very difficult to hit, so it's probably an issue with whatever dagger-fall uses in place of hit-boxes. Using the "Physical Weapon" setting doesn't make a difference.

ZerioctheTank

Post by ZerioctheTank »

I tried to scan through the 37 pages here hoping to find someone with a similar issue, but have been unable to find someone. It's also possible I overlooked it as well. I have an issue with my weapons appearing rather low on screen & I'm unable to hit anything. Perhaps I screwed up installation. Is there anything else I'm supposed to do outside of adding the dfmod to my mods folder?

DunnyOfPenwick

Post by DunnyOfPenwick »

The attack animation is composed of multiple graphic frames shown in sequence.
The rate and timing of when each frame is shown is determined by some sort of calculation involving the Speed attribute.
If I had to guess, having >100 speed is resulting in one or more frames being missed.
If the frame being missed is the 'Hit' frame, it might not record the strike correctly.

The game mechanics were designed assuming attributes would be no more than 100, so going beyond that is bound to screw something up.

NefariousTortoise

Post by NefariousTortoise »

I have a bug where my shield becomes unusable if I switch to magic. Conflict with Readied Spellcasting Hands maybe?

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Yes, probably a conflict with the mod. Try turning it off and seeing if it fixes it. If it does, I need to create some form of a patching system for this issue.

I will be working on this again and trying to sort out the last large issue with the arc raycast system.
Hey Blessed,

Vanilla Enhanced has been getting reports that Ambidexterity breaks enemies with VE - Villains & Monsters enabled.

Your code searches explicitly for the DFU component `DaggerfallMobileUnit` instead of the more generic interface `MobileUnit`. VE replaces the mobile unit script with a new one, and implements the `MobileUnit` interface, so it should work with little problems if you just update your code.

Hazel's been having similar problems with Roleplay&Realism before he added this interface a few versions ago, it's normal if you missed it.
Thank you for reporting this. I will look at this and get it addressed in a release soon.
The attack animation is composed of multiple graphic frames shown in sequence.
The rate and timing of when each frame is shown is determined by some sort of calculation involving the Speed attribute.
If I had to guess, having >100 speed is resulting in one or more frames being missed.
If the frame being missed is the 'Hit' frame, it might not record the strike correctly.

The game mechanics were designed assuming attributes would be no more than 100, so going beyond that is bound to screw something up.
Thank you for explaining this for the user, and using physical weapon setting will not make a difference. This is exactly the issue. Only way to resolve this is for me to put in some form of a hardcap, so no matter what stats the user increases either on their character or within the weapons properties configuration file I provide, the weapon stays under a speed the causes this issue. I'll add it in, because whats the point of faster speeds that break actually hitting things.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I'm back to working on this. There should be a fix for the newest version of the engine by next week. I had to sort out how to integrate the hold attack option added into the engine into my custom key, directional attack, and attack priming system. I found the solution, so an update should be out soon enough for 14.4+.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

AMBIDEXTERITY MOD UPDATE FOR 0.14.5 DFU

I finally got to solving the bugs stopping this from working in the newest release. It also gave me time to fix some stuff and finish melee attack arc casts so they sync with the animation, so melee attacks have proper physical feel to them when hitting objects.
  • Update the smart key input system to work with the new hold attack option. It will keep attacking and allow you to select attack directions as it does using your chosen mod setting.
  • Fixed equipstate being continually called every frame. This was causing massive garbage collection issues and wasted cpu cycles. Improved performance and stability noticably.
  • Added back in the missing up attack for melee attacks when in classic animation mod.
  • Updated arc ray cast code to use a simplier and more efficient method for calculating ray casts each frame. Also added in option to not only change angles of the raycast but also to offset its position, which allows for more realistic tracing with the weapon animation and better responsiveness for player.
  • Finished melee arc casts for each melee attack. Refined other arc casts some using new offset + ray angle approach so they follow more closely to animation.
  • Fixed a bug that didn't allow custom mouse sensitivity settings to be set. Mod was defaulting player to 1 on mouse sensitivity. Now it grabs the stored setting from the engine.
*You can get it on my GITHUB only because it isn't in release state just yet*

I have not address the mod compatibility issues brought up above. This will be the next ask at hand. I also haven't done tons of playtesting yet, so please test it as much as you can and report any bugs or issues.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Pushed one more update to fix the issue with Vanilla Enhanced Mod, as described below.
Hey Blessed,

Can someone please check if the above recommended fixes dealt with this compatibility.

NefariousTortoise

Post by NefariousTortoise »

Thank you for updating the mod. The problem I had previously was due to the Hotkey Bar mod (https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/202). Whenever I select a spell from the hotkey it breaks Ambidexterity. it makes all weapons invisible until I restart the game.