Quest Showcase

For all talk about quest development - creation, testing, and quest system.
Midknightprince

Re: Quest Showcase

Post by Midknightprince »

Midknightprince wrote:Ok I'm trying it, this is so freaking cool ! :D and check this out if you haven't, tell me what you think

MAN, it's a cool music video about Daggerfallunity...I want to know if you like it!
My channel is not monetized, so no adds, i made this thing for you guys :)
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Midknightprince

Jay_H wrote:Removing what you've already done, there's still:

FGDFU001.txt
FGDFU002.txt
IMDFU002.txt
IMDFU001.txt
MGDFU001.txt
NLDFU001.txt
NLDFU002.txt

The IM ones were originally MC, but they should have their current name in the most recent .zip
Nevermind, I think I know what you're saying, but like i said, no removing the new ones, I like it ! :) ...and do I remove the .txt part after copy pasting in Temp-Fighters...make it look like these ?
FGDFU001,
FGDFU002,
FGDFU003,
KNDFU001,
KNDFU002,
MCDFU001,
MCDFU002,
I don't wanna mess stuff up, so I'm just playtesting what I got so far till you reply 8-)

And watch the stupid vid...MAN :lol:

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

FGDFU00A: Fighters Guild quest. The city has been under a rash of repeated attacks by summoned monsters. The PC is sent from one building to another to fight gargoyles and daedroths.

This was by far my most technically ambitious thus far, and Daggerfall couldn't handle it. It would sometimes try to place monsters into the same location twice, and the second time would fail, leaving the quest without a resolution. I could set each category to be in a different place, such as one a tavern, one a store, one a residence, and so on, but right now I'm leaving this one alone. It'll be kept as a copy on Pastebin unless I decide to do something else with it.
do I remove the .txt part after copy pasting in Temp-Fighters...make it look like these ?
FGDFU001,
FGDFU002,
FGDFU003,
KNDFU001,
KNDFU002,
MCDFU001,
MCDFU002,
Yes, you'll add those lines to the Temp Fighters Guild document. That should enable you to use the corresponding quest files, if they're in the Quests directory.

Midknightprince

Jay_H wrote:FGDFU00A: Fighters Guild quest.Th e city has been under a rash of repeated attacks by summoned monsters. The PC is sent from one building to another to fight gargoyles and daedroths.

This was by far my most technically ambitious thus far, and Daggerfall couldn't handle it. It would sometimes try to place monsters into the same location twice, and the second time would fail, leaving the quest without a resolution. I could set each category to be in a different place, such as one a tavern, one a store, one a residence, and so on, but right now I'm leaving this one alone. It'll be kept as a copy on Pastebin unless I decide to do something else with it.
do I remove the .txt part after copy pasting in Temp-Fighters...make it look like these ?
FGDFU001,
FGDFU002,
FGDFU003,
KNDFU001,
KNDFU002,
MCDFU001,
MCDFU002,
Yes, you'll add those lines to the Temp Fighters Guild document. That should enable you to use the corresponding quest files, if they're in the Quests directory.
Got it, and i won't mess with the "The city has been under a rash of repeated attacks by summoned monsters" yet..but it sounds freaking cool as hell :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Jay_H wrote:FGDFU00A: Fighters Guild quest. The city has been under a rash of repeated attacks by summoned monsters. The PC is sent from one building to another to fight gargoyles and daedroths.

This is genius. I'm sorry the quest engine wasn't able to handle it right now. :(

We need to make this work later though, I love the idea of it.

Midknightprince

Interkarma wrote:
Jay_H wrote:FGDFU00A: Fighters Guild quest. The city has been under a rash of repeated attacks by summoned monsters. The PC is sent from one building to another to fight gargoyles and daedroths.

This is genius. I'm sorry the quest engine wasn't able to handle it right now. :(

Yeah, it looks freaking cool !
and this is what it looks like in my Temp-Fighters..
FGDFU001,
FGDFU002,
FGDFU003,
KNDFU001,
KNDFU002,
MCDFU001,
MCDFU002,
IMDFU002,
IMDFU001,
MGDFU001,
NLDFU001,
NLDFU002,
Just wanna make sure I'm doing this stuff right now, so I don't have to keep asking...and you said they were in the most recent .zip, which I'm assuming was the one I DL'd earlier...just making sure.. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Interkarma wrote:This is genius. I'm sorry the quest engine wasn't able to handle it right now. :(

Nah, don't feel bad. I could honestly just change every location from "local random" to "local tavern," "local generalstore" and so on and it would work perfectly. It's just too predictable that way, and I feel it would lose its charm if you could just memorize what's coming.

If we somehow find a way to make it work as all randoms, I'll definitely put it back together. Until then I'll leave it in limbo. And thank you for the encouraging words.
Midknightprince wrote:and this is what it looks like in my Temp-Fighters..
FGDFU001,
FGDFU002,
FGDFU003,
KNDFU001,
KNDFU002,
MCDFU001,
MCDFU002,
IMDFU002,
IMDFU001,
MGDFU001,
NLDFU001,
NLDFU002,
Just wanna make sure I'm doing this stuff right now, so I don't have to keep asking...and you said they were in the most recent .zip, which I'm assuming was the one I DL'd earlier...just making sure.. :)
Yep, that looks appropriate. You can remove the normal Daggerfall entries, the ones that look like M0B00Y0 and so on, or put a hyphen - before them to prevent them from appearing in the random quests. That's optional though, so you can just add lines if you want. And thank you for the encouraging words.
Last edited by Jay_H on Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Midknightprince

[/quote]Yep, that looks appropriate. You can remove the normal Daggerfall entries, the ones that look like M0B00Y0 and so on, or put a hyphen - before them to prevent them from appearing in the random quests. That's optional though, so you can just add lines if you want.[/quote]

Got it, and I'm not deleting the old stuff, I'll just decline the stuff I already know..
Testing now..

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

NLDFU003: Noble quest. A tenant has refused to honor a previous arrangement and now must be removed from the residence before the bank can buy it back.

FGDFU004: Fighters Guild quest. A family fears an assault by a group of burglars tonight and requests a guard. 50% chance of enemies, 50% chance of nothing happening. Known issue: the quest will not end if the PC is resting when it should happen. Time must flow naturally to 5:00 AM. Using the set_timescale command is the best way to meet resolution.

This was actually fairly technically demanding. The daily condition was a puzzle at first but now it has a very natural flow.

IMDFU004: Innkeeper and merchant quest. This is extremely similar to the quest right above it, being a guard duty job for a residence. The differences are the enemy type, the questor, the spawn method, and the dialogue. This isn't a mere reduction in effort for more product, but just an attempt at telling the same story from a different angle; this family was too poor to pay the Fighters Guild's overhead for guaranteed quality, and had to take a risk with some random adventurer who walked in the door. The differences are largely narrative but I think valid. I'm not going to copy every quest to every questgiver, but some alternate versions of some quests would provide a more ample in-game universe, I believe.

KNDFU003: Knightly Order quest. The PC must hunt down a vampire or vampire ancient somewhere in a dungeon.

I've begun including the minimum reputation for these quests. Since Vampire Ancients are serious trouble, this quest merits 70+ reputation. I also expect it to give out a higher reputation bonus upon success.

FGDFU005: Fighters Guild quest. The PC is sent to a farmstead to kill a pack of bears or tigers that's stalking the property at night.

I wasn't sure if I was going to do this quest since it was hard to come to a logical conclusion why the animals wouldn't be attacking the bystanders, but setting this quest at night put an end to that question.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Midknightprince wrote:@ Jay_H

Ok, I'm here to tell ya, all those quests work, even the zombie husband one that I didn't finish last time.
They're good dude.
All I did was the new one's, all new stuff....
Awesome dude, just awesome.
I love it !
I'll do it again tomorrow time permitting.
I think I've done like 4 so far (doing the town mob one twice cause it's just that cool), long play man, only used tele2qspawn once, ran thru each dungeon taking my time (which i had two of em, glorious to be back in them dungeons)
I wanna do that quiz one again, it's just a brilliant idea dude, props.
But nothing broke for me..
I think I didn't wait till after dark for the zombie one so it was my bad, but like i said man, everything works on my end.
Very good! I was watching the stream live for a while. The zombie quest and the lich quest weren't mine, but no one says you specifically have to look for my quests :) I'd be both happy and surprised if my quests don't have bugs of some kind since I'm totally new at this, but I think the success thus far speaks to the robust system Donald Tipton and Interkarma made.