Request - Meaningful Swing Directions

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
violetnred

Request - Meaningful Swing Directions

Post by violetnred »

Why? Accuracy and damage variations alone makes no difference because you really need both. That or the enemies of similar level needs to have extremely different AC and HP values.

1. Attacks are faster when the next one comes from opposite neighboring direction;
2. Special effects that requires performing hits of other type to power them up and are consumed at the swing's start:
• Down: longer stun, high damage bonus
• Diagonal down: damage bonus, chains faster (reverse scaling - increases modifier until you miss)
• Sideways: cleave and slight damage bonus, deflect arrows chance in the middle of anim
• Diagonal up: damage penalty, deflect melee chance in the middle of anim
• Up: hit chance bonus, even faster attack

Details:
• "Opposite neighboring direction" example: first swing comes from right. opposite direction is left. It's neighboring directions are top left and bottom left. second swing happens faster if it comes from top left or bottom left;
• Each successful hit adds a stack to every other direction except downward diagonal ones;
• Downward diagonal swings also gives stacks to both versions of themselves upon successful hits;
• Stacks are limited to (weapon skill / 10);
• Weapon type's preferred swing direction adds two stacks to that direction instead of one;
• Stack indication would be nice. The best i can think of is notches around the center of the screen arranged in a circle that become more visible or chage color the more stacks are stored. visible as long as a melee weapon is drawn;
• Successfully deflecting only consumes one stack of corresponding deflect;
• Stacks can't go over 10;
• Weapon skills direction preferences:
- Short blade - up
- Long blade - all diagonal
- Blunt - down
- Axe - side
- H2h - ?
- Archery - ?

Exact bonuses per stack:
• Down: stun +20%, damage +20%
• Diagonal down: damage +10%, attack speed +10%
• Sideways: hit all foes in front, damage +5%, arrow deflect +(5 + weapon skill / 5)%;
• Diagonal up: damage -50% base, melee deflect +(10 + weapon skill / 10)%
• Up: hit chance +20%, attack speed +10%
• Critical skill: +(crit skill / 10) stacks to one random direction no matter the weapon skill level upon proccing;
• Backstab: x1.5 total backstab damage when performed as weapon's preferred swing direction;

l3lessed

Re: Request - Meaningful Swing Directions

Post by l3lessed »

I'll just say from my work on the combat mechanics and systems.

This will be complex to fully get in as you want.

If interested, I would start on the melee combo system and direction attack changes. Those could be done easy enough by merely messing with the script formulas for combat and injecting your updated ones at runtime.

The quicker attacks would be easy enough too, as you would just detect the attack direction, then if the next one is opposite, up the players attack speed stat a tiny bit, then reset at the end of the combo. From a realism perspective, this actually is completely a gimicky, non-realistic thing. If you miss a swing, and you try to swing the other direction, you actually will swing slower, as you are having to counter the swing momentum you already started. Now, you can get faster and faster when your opponent parries you attacks with their weapon, as the recoil from the hit can be used to increase how fast you can get that sword up and back down again.

The archery deflection will take the most work.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.