Save not loading

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
tehhe

Save not loading

Post by tehhe »

Hi,

searched around and this topic has the exact same problem I have. Main difference is I'm using the recommended method's GameFiles, completely unmodded and v.0.13.5. of the game (at the time of save problem occurring.) I've since done a fresh install using the same Google Drive files + v.0.14.3-beta, I can get the game and a new character to work but not my old save, which says "Please Wait" and loads into the same hand icon and frozen screen. my last action was a quicksave into a crash seconds later.

viewtopic.php?t=2897 an older thread described SaveInfo.txt and QuestExceptions.txt files being completely blank, which corresponded with my appdata SAVE folders files (SAVE3 in this case). I tried manually editing said 2 .txt files to try nudge it but nothing. I put it attached here if that helps troubleshoot. TIA!
Attachments
SAVE3.zip
(168.27 KiB) Downloaded 44 times

Interkarma

Re: Save not loading

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome to the forums. :)

Please don't post in other people's support topics. Even if a problem looks the same, there's often something different or unique to each case.

Your save is corrupt - the JSON structure contained within is no longer valid and cannot be parsed. This can happen when making manual edits to the save, or much less often some kind of spurious save corruption.

Edit: The specific problem is your WorldVariationData.txt file. After deleting this file, I'm able to load your save normally. This file is empty in your save when it should have a basic structure at least. This file is only required by certain mods and is safe to delete.

Update: I've added handling to next release (0.14.4) that will allow DFU to load saves with corrupted WorldDataVariation data. This will cover cases where a save can't be loaded for that reason. I'm able to load your save above even with the bad data.

tehhe

Re: Save not loading

Post by tehhe »

Hi,

Noted all the above, thank you. Deleting that helped load the save for me too. cheers!