old-school daggerfall random noises

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
circuitsystem

old-school daggerfall random noises

Post by circuitsystem »

back in the original daggerfall, there was a sound glitch that was never fixed that would cause it to make this loud screeching sound that....im sure im the only one who misses it. i have 0 idea if its possible to put that weird screeching back in the game but worth a try asking i suppose? i wish for daggerfall to whisper its nonsensical secrets into my ears again

numidium3rd

Re: old-school daggerfall random noises

Post by numidium3rd »

I was actually just recently working on reverse-engineering DOS game audio so it's funny to me that you mention this. I've heard what you're talking about many times and it's essentially the game feeding data to the sound card from invalid memory addresses. In other words the game could be erroneously making you "hear" the graphics, code, game data, or whatever. Obviously since it's not meant to be sound it just makes weird screeches.

I suppose it could be modded back into the game by taking memory dumps from DosBox and playing back the data as sound. Not sure how popular a mod that would be though :D .

circuitsystem

Post by circuitsystem »

might not be popular yeah but its a fun thing that im sure a few people here and there would love.
also, since you're doing sound-related stuff, are there mod's that replaces vanilla sounds? i'd love a more quality sound of your boots stepping on gravel and stone especially, etc etc

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Great thing about this bug was that it really was a random screeching sound it produced, so everytime it happened, it sounded a bit different. It was also localized IN the game, so if u ran from it, the sound faded out etc :D Still, not sure I would enable such a mod, because if it was trully 1:1 implementation than it was WAY too loud and immersion breaking.

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

circuitsystem wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:50 pm are there mod's that replaces vanilla sounds?
None that I know of except D.R.E.A.M (speaking of which, the creator posted just above me). If you're interested in using your own custom sounds you can drop a .wav file in Daggerfall Unity\DaggerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Sound with a name that matches one of the sound clip names in here: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... ndClips.cs. I'm partial to the lo-fi sounds myself, though. It fits the whole retro aesthetic.