[MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
daggerdude

Re: [MOD]Ambidexterity Module (Shield Module Branch)

Post by daggerdude »

Hey, just thought i'd pop in here to say i had done some work on those shields awhile back and the shields were broken with PCO but everything else was intact back a year ago. dunno now but i was wondering if you had time to look into those two things?

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

What's PCO again? If that is Physical Combat & Armor overhaul, it should be compatible out of the box. It loads the PCO custom formula with my additions in it, so it will work with the shield and the PCO changes.
My Daggerfall Mod Github: l3lessed DFU Mod Github

My Beth Mods: l3lessed Nexus Page

Daggerfall Unity mods: Combat Overhaul Mod

Enjoy the free work I'm doing? Consider lending your support.

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

daggerdude wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:58 pm Oh hey, i just noticed something: Physical Combat and Armor Overhaul changes the way shields work, and i do recall an autopatcher being used, but i wanted to be sure:
Ambidexterities shield blocking is overwritten or not functioning on the hold shield function (Buckler works fine) - attacks and damage are not blocked at all, but PCO does use it's formula to calculate damage. Is this intentional?

I did try isolating and swapping the load order with exactly 4 mods: realism, realism items, PCO, and AMBI, to putting PCO AFTER and not BEFORE Ambi and putting Ambi first things work as normal, but (as far as i know this is the only issue) the material override seems to no longer work for attacking creatures.

Note: using 1.42 of the PCO edited 8/4/2021, and your newest version of the mod. I did notice the shield module fix (1.30) seemed to patch things fine though. I don't know if any other features have been overwritten.

P.S, thanks for this mod, and merry christmas!

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

daggerdude wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:00 am Hey, took another pass at shields. I think it's getting there, but i think i need to work on the materials of the kite shield and i need to work on the buckler a tad. the pose that they're in right now is "relaxed". It's easy enough to change the angles, or make transition sprites for things like pulling a shield to position.

Where the arm cuts off is where the sprite would sit as of now, but conceivably the arm can be extended down further if needed.
Attachments
Daggershields2.png
Daggershields2.png (114.14 KiB) Viewed 611 times

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

daggerdude wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:00 pm From AMBI: (in PCO thread)
Oh hey, i just noticed something: Physical Combat and Armor Overhaul changes the way shields work, and i do recall an autopatcher being used, but i wanted to be sure:
Ambidexterities shield blocking is overwritten or not functioning on the hold shield function (bucklers work fine) - attacks and damage are not blocked at all, but PCO does use it's formula to calculate damage. Is this intentional?

I did try isolating and swapping the load order with exactly 4 mods: realism, realism items, PCO, and AMBI, to putting PCO AFTER and not BEFORE Ambi and putting Ambi first things work as normal, but (as far as i know this is the only issue) the material override seems to no longer work for attacking creatures.

Note: using 1.42 of the PCO edited 8/4/2021, and your newest version of the mod. I did notice the shield module fix (1.30) seemed to patch things fine though. I don't know if any other features have been overwritten.

P.S, thanks for this mod, and merry christmas!
P.P.S i'm almost content to simply play with the mod broken simply because i wonder if the combination of the two things working conjointly would make shielding OP. I'd rather play with PCO over AMBI ultimately because vanilla combat absolutely sucks, and even with the wonky weapons its much better. of course, it seems AMBI does work in everything BUT the shield blocking (minus the buckler which works fine). so, idk.

anyhow, merry christmas to you as well, sipping hot cocoa and playing daggerfall is my jam :)

daggerdude

Post by daggerdude »

Yeah, it's been a long time now but something happened between one of your versions and another when it comes to PCO. it's been a long time but i've gone through it, so if you had not made any changes and he hadn't, it's still broken. I know you're not obligated to, but it would be nice if you could update the compatibility patch. something changed.
Only thing i'd say is before anything, dunno if the author has updated their mod to the newest version too. I assumed when i wrote this they had, but before you go through any trouble maybe they need to update theirs first? just a warning.

And we talked about designing shields for the mod on a ad-hoc basis - i am pretty happy with their final state, but was wondering if you cared to script/write in the shield brace. The shield is relaxed and off to the side styled now, but I can have a proper brace transition in the upright transition if you are still interested in the shield graphics and wanted to expand them.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I'll check out the attack formula script for base and PCO. There probably has been updates to the formula script on both base engine and PCO since my last update to this mod.

Yeah, shoot me all the graphics you have. I also still have to include the HD shields I received to match the HD texture packs.

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

I just tested this with Physical Combat and Armor overhaul. I put this at the bottom, below POC and meaner monsters. This needs to always be below other mods to ensure my formula override for attacking takes priority so the shield can properly function.

It worked as intended. I also checked the code, and there wasnt any real changes.

The buckler animation system needs worked over for sure, as it isn't always the cleanest looking, especially with classic animations enabled, but the mechanics work.

Don't forget, if you have buckler mechanics selected, the targe and buckler shields only block during the last half of the raise animation. But, you will bash the enemy for damage and push them away for free if you do block them.

Am I missing something though?

l3lessed

Post by l3lessed »

Also, I'm not seeing an issue with hotkey bar yet. I thought someone reported it, but I can't find the report in the forum now.

NefariousTortoise

Post by NefariousTortoise »

l3lessed wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:49 pm Also, I'm not seeing an issue with hotkey bar yet. I thought someone reported it, but I can't find the report in the forum now.
Me, last post on previous page. Here are the exact steps I took for the bug to occur

1. Equip 2 handed weapon or 1 handed and shield
2. Assign spell to hotkey bar
3. Draw weapon
4. Use hotkey bar spell
5. Shield and 2 handed weapon disappears/becomes unusable until the game is restarted

Thanks for looking into it.