Daggerfall Unity 0.14.5 Beta

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Interkarma

Daggerfall Unity 0.14.5 Beta

Post by Interkarma »

Daggerfall Unity 0.14.5 is now available! This is a bug fix and performance release with faster loading, terrain & foliage generation, and renaming buildings on automap. Over a dozen bugs have been squashed and HALT! is finally back.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... .14.5-beta

emmathepony

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.14.5 Beta

Post by emmathepony »

Great update. Did a little bit of testing with a heavy mod list and haven't noticed any immediate compatibility issues that I can tell. Load times are slightly increased (about 2 seconds shaved off) and performance stutter going from an interior to world is MUCH less noticeable! :mrgreen:

Btw, for the re-added "HALT" sound, is it a new sound? I've never heard the halt sound guards make now... or it's one of the mods I'm using (maybe Sounds of Daggerfall replaced it) but it sounds WAY better than the vanilla sound. This new one is cleaner and more commanding.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

DFU plays same audio files as classic. The bug fixed was just preventing the HALT bark from triggering. I'm guessing a mod if the audio is distinctly different. :)

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Thanks for the update, will have to give this a try just for the potential performance improvements!

Sappho20

Post by Sappho20 »

Thank you for this latest update! I run daggerfall on a very low-end laptop and I have found this release has given me a significant performance increase in the wilderness (5-6 fps). My game normally runs between 20-25 fps which is fine, I choose to run lots of cool mods ;)

TalonTarp

Post by TalonTarp »

Improvements in performance was worth updating. I can actually use 15X travel options now without lag or clipping into the world. Thank you everyone who worked on this! :mrgreen:

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

So here is something I just considered, since most of the speed improvements in this update are from making use of this "BurstCompile" feature rather than the default less efficient method. This obviously will effect the "live" build of the game in its compiled form. But does that mean it won't have any effect performance-wise on the Editor version? Since that part is technically not in a compiled but more loose form?

I have not clue how this stuff really works, but just something I considered as I was launching the new version in the Editor.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Works nicely, I have cca 10-15% faster load in the wilderness after a fresh game start. The streaming also seems improved. Game just runs better overall when anything needs to be loaded or streamed in, which is a big improvement - possibly bigger than the mentioned 1st load time reduction.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Magicono43 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:33 pm But does that mean it won't have any effect performance-wise on the Editor version? Since that part is technically not in a compiled but more loose form?
AFAIK the editor still JIT compiles Burst Jobs. Andrew showed editor in-profiling of change before & after, so I believe it still has benefits in editor. Final built game still feels faster though, no doubt some overhead still running inside editor.

To be honest, I don't feel very knowledgeable about Burst either. :lol:

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Interkarma wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:11 am AFAIK the editor still JIT compiles Burst Jobs. Andrew showed editor in-profiling of change before & after, so I believe it still has benefits in editor. Final built game still feels faster though, no doubt some overhead still running inside editor.

To be honest, I don't feel very knowledgeable about Burst either. :lol:
That is very interesting for sure. Either way Andrew did a very good job introducing the Burst Jobs into the process, and apparently has been having some notable benefits for those observing it, so he did a great job on that!

Let us only hope we can get even more optimization in the future as time goes on :P