Daggerfall Unity 0.14.5 Beta

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
XJDHDR

Re: Daggerfall Unity 0.14.5 Beta

Post by XJDHDR »

Interkarma wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 12:11 am
Magicono43 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 8:33 pm But does that mean it won't have any effect performance-wise on the Editor version? Since that part is technically not in a compiled but more loose form?
AFAIK the editor still JIT compiles Burst Jobs. Andrew showed editor in-profiling of change before & after, so I believe it still has benefits in editor. Final built game still feels faster though, no doubt some overhead still running inside editor.

To be honest, I don't feel very knowledgeable about Burst either. :lol:
Burst does work in the editor. The difference is that Burst compiled code in the built game is compiled during the build process, whereas Editor compiles it on-the-fly after entering Play mode.

On a semi-related note, I found and updated a repo which benchmarks Burst against various other runtimes a few weeks ago: https://github.com/XJDHDR/BurstBenchmar ... 2022-10-20
The results indicate that it's best to compile as much of your game's code with Burst as possible. Also, Mono is just bad in general and I'm glad Unity is working on porting RyuJIT to their engine.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Somewhat belatedly, let me congratulate you on the update. I've installed this and have already played a bit, and contrary to my previous experience with older releases, I now feel very little difference compared to vanilla Daggerfall.

There still are some things here and there, like with my first character I ended up getting a Mages Guild quest sending me to a dungeon filled with zombies (I'm guessing the Laboratory type) while the character was still level 2. I don't remember running across zombies in vanilla before my character would be at least level 3 or 4, and/or before going to the Scourg Barrow on the main quest, as these enemies are simply too powerful for a low-level character.

However, I decided to enjoy the game at its fullest and installed a number of cosmetic and enhancement mods, which are all just excellent. On the whole, great job!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

with my first character I ended up getting a Mages Guild quest sending me to a dungeon filled with zombies (I'm guessing the Laboratory type) while the character was still level 2. I don't remember running across zombies in vanilla before my character would be at least level 3 or 4
I had multiple occasions where different level 3 characters of mine in DOS Daggerfall would find an Ancient Vampire randomly spawned in a dungeon :lol: It's rare, but it can happen!

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Jay_H wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:39 pm I had multiple occasions where different level 3 characters of mine in DOS Daggerfall would find an Ancient Vampire randomly spawned in a dungeon :lol: It's rare, but it can happen!
Had that too, but it's completely random -- IIRC you can re-load a saved game and it will spawn something else altogether (or nothing at all). But I've had the impression that some monsters out of a dungeon's regular population set are only spawned when the character reaches a certain level.

For example, I remember visiting a certain dungeon in vanilla a couple of times at different character levels. At first, it only had Skeleton Warriors, rats and bats, but the second time it started spawning Mummies as well. I suppose the same should be true for Zombies as these are even tougher.

pango

Post by pango »

MrFlibble wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:50 pm Had that too, but it's completely random -- IIRC you can re-load a saved game and it will spawn something else altogether (or nothing at all). But I've had the impression that some monsters out of a dungeon's regular population set are only spawned when the character reaches a certain level.
You can find the tables of what can spawn on each dungeon type (and exterior environments) depending on character level here:
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... ers.cs#L30

Zombies can spawn at level 2 in Laboratories (and in different exterior environments at night)

More on how those tables are used here: viewtopic.php?p=34974#p34974
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

pango wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 2:07 pm You can find the tables of what can spawn on each dungeon type (and exterior environments) depending on character level here:
https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... ers.cs#L30
Is this an exact replication of how vanilla DF does this? Zombies are very tough for many L2 characters, I'd say even tougher than Skeletal Warriors are for L1. The laboratory dungeon my character ended up in was basically unwinnable because of hordes of Zombies which were impossible to outrun or outmanoeuvre.

pango

Post by pango »

MrFlibble wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:50 am Is this an exact replication of how vanilla DF does this?
I guess so, but I wasn't the one doing the reverse engineering.
Daggerfall does not try to be fair, main quest can lead you to Scourg Barrow at level 3, one entry being a dead end (litterally, if you have no mean of levitating), the other entry being guarded by 2 zombies...
-- Charles Goodhart

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

pango wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:59 am Daggerfall does not try to be fair, main quest can lead you to Scourg Barrow at level 3, one entry being a dead end (litterally, if you have no mean of levitating), the other entry being guarded by 2 zombies...
I've played this numerous times with various characters, and facing a couple Zombies in Scourg Barrow is not the same thing as the seemingly endless horde of Zombies, Sorcerers and Mages around every corner in the aforementioned random dungeon at L2.

Also, doesn't the "dead end" part have enchanted tapestry that will cast Levitate on you?

pango

Post by pango »

MrFlibble wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:07 pm Also, doesn't the "dead end" part have enchanted tapestry that will cast Levitate on you?
Don't know if you consider that spoiler, but...

No, I'm talking about taking the center coffin path (3 mummies, traps including magic draining pit, and no way out except thru levitation or teleportation)
-- Charles Goodhart

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

pango wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:33 pm No, I'm talking about taking the center coffin path (3 mummies, traps including magic draining pit, and no way out except thru levitation or teleportation)
...or through loading a timely made savegame. However, no amount of save scumming is going to help an L2 character through a dungeon full of zombies.