Arena / Tamriel Rebuilt... in Daggerfall!

Talk about the mods you'd like to see in Daggerfall Unity. Give mod creators some ideas!
Werewolf

Re: Arena / Tamriel Rebuilt... in Daggerfall!

Post by Werewolf »

jayhova wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:25 am Daggerfall with its 1:1 scale is about 1/32 of the total area of Tamriel. Each of the sequel games are a little bigger than one city in Daggerfall.
The new games are still significantly bigger than a single city in Daggerfall but a single region in Daggerfall is still bigger than Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim combined. Let me say that Daggerfall portraying 1/32 of Tamriel as this massive world with thousands of dungeons gives the impression that Tamriel is this massive place, as opposed to future games in the series which feature extremely small and condensed representations of their regions

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

Just wanted to say that I haven't abandoned the project, it's just that finishing my current mod is taking more than expected :?

I guess not much good will come from knowing this, but I wanted to let everyone knows, for what it's worth.

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Werewolf wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:35 pm The new games are still significantly bigger than a single city in Daggerfall but a single region in Daggerfall is still bigger than Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim combined. Let me say that Daggerfall portraying 1/32 of Tamriel as this massive world with thousands of dungeons gives the impression that Tamriel is this massive place, as opposed to future games in the series which feature extremely small and condensed representations of their regions
Not as big as you might imagine.

https://softunderbelly.com/vvardenfell-paris-texas/
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

jayhova wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:10 pm
Werewolf wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:35 pm The new games are still significantly bigger than a single city in Daggerfall but a single region in Daggerfall is still bigger than Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim combined. Let me say that Daggerfall portraying 1/32 of Tamriel as this massive world with thousands of dungeons gives the impression that Tamriel is this massive place, as opposed to future games in the series which feature extremely small and condensed representations of their regions
Not as big as you might imagine.

https://softunderbelly.com/vvardenfell-paris-texas/
Morrowind, oblivion, and Skyrim aren’t that big at all, it seems

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Arneb wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:21 pm Just wanted to say that I haven't abandoned the project, it's just that finishing my current mod is taking more than expected :?

I guess not much good will come from knowing this, but I wanted to let everyone knows, for what it's worth.
Super excited to see it. It’s going to be a massive step forward for Daggerfall Unity!

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

Given that Tamriel Rebuilt has been developing for almost twenty years and still hasn't finished the mainland of Morrowind, I recommend a lot of patience. Yes, I know that making visual assets for Daggerfall would be less work, but that's only one piece of the puzzle. Arneb may benefit from watching Zaric Zhakaron's interview with the Tamriel Rebuilt developers on his YouTube channel.

Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

For now I believe his focus is just to create a blank Tamriel landmass, starting off with that but laying down a foundation. Which is a great idea

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

As Werewolf said, my initial goal is quite humble (sort of): expanding the actual Iliac Bay map to all of Tamriel, using only the original assets like climate areas, buildings and dungeons. It should end up being just a bigger version of Daggerfall.

I would love to realize in the process some sort of editor to make editing the world map in its basic components as intuitive as possible. In my wildest dreams, this editor should work as a world generator too, making it possible to generate the finest details of the map (roads, rivers, wilderness, etc...) based on specific setting inputs.

In the end, the most important aspect of it should be to make it possible, for anyone willing, to create and add any custom content, thus giving room to whoever wants to further add more fitting assets to the different regions of Tamriel.

Something like "Ok, we don't have to wait for a complete reconstruction of (let's say) Elsweyr to travel through it, because the basic elements are already there. But I added some assets to cover Kahjiiti villagers. Maybe someday someone will make buildings more unique", and so on.

Does anything I wrote make any sense?

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Yeah, that really is the way to go! Very promising and of course, I think everyone is pretty excited about such possibility. I would just recommend sharing as much progress as possible

Arneb

Post by Arneb »

I'm afraid right now there's not much progress to show :oops:

But I just finished the basic implementation of my latest mod, therefore I should now have a little more time to dedicate to this project.