Book Reviews

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
nicksta1310

Book Reviews

Post by nicksta1310 »

That's right. I have no life. :mrgreen:

Here are some short reviews of the short books found in the game. I may post more in the future as I continue with my current attempt at a first playthrough (a Breton custom monk who knows kung fu). :D

Note: a short summary of my recommendations is available later in the thread.

Ius, Animal God by Buljursoma
I literally laughed out loud twice while reading these tales of prayers to a minor deity that become increasingly absurd. Highly recommended for a funny diversion.

Of Jephre by Anonymous
Repetitive purple prose about a minor deity of nature sounds. I was bored by the end.

Ghraewaj by Tidasus
Engaging and insightful analysis of a Redguard folk tale about harpies. Highly recommended for seekers of lore.

The War of Betony by Vulper Newgate
Highly recommended for all players who are inexperienced with the main quest. It provides a detailed background of the circumstances leading to the death of King Lysandus.

Fools' Ebony, Part the Oneth by Frincheps
A self-deprecating parody of Santa Claus and rapey priests. Meh.
Last edited by nicksta1310 on Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicksta1310

Re: Book Reviews

Post by nicksta1310 »

The Madness of Pelagius by Tsathenes
Biography of a mentally ill monarch who became a short-lived, yet notorious Emperor of Tamriel about 300 years prior to the game's events. Recommended for seekers of lore.

Legal Basics by Anchivius, M.Z.F.
A satirical, yet informative description of the laws that city guards enforce in the game. Recommended for inexperienced players.

Jokes by Butha Sunhous
Fourteen jokes, to be precise. A few of them are amusing, but this book would be more interesting to seekers of lore for the subject matter (e.g. post-war triumphalism, racial tensions, etc.) than to players seeking a funny diversion.

Rude Song by Anonymous
I'm not surprised that the author's name is a secret, for this amusing poem is a thinly veiled exposé of sex scandals in three royal families. Recommended for seekers of lore.

Etiquette With Rulers by Erystera Ligen
More informative than the title may suggest, this book goes into detail about High Rock's political hierarchy, the titles of a few major characters and even some insight into the way that some of the shops and taverns got their names. Highly recommended for seekers of lore.

pango

Post by pango »

Thank you!

By the way, you probably know it already but just in case, they're two "War of Betony" books, could be fun to compare them :)
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

pango wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:37 pm By the way, you probably know it already but just in case, they're two "War of Betony" books, could be fun to compare them :)
I didn't know that. Thank you for letting me know. Is it the same title with a different author? I'm guessing that the other one was written from Sentinel's perspective.

pango

Post by pango »

nicksta1310 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:41 am I didn't know that. Thank you for letting me know. Is it the same title with a different author? I'm guessing that the other one was written from Sentinel's perspective.
Good guesses! So you could have dismissed it if you only looked at titles.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

I'm currently reviewing the books that I picked up during dungeon quests and random encounters, except for the volumes that form a series where I don't have part one yet. My loot rolls have been lucky so far. :)

On Oblivion by Morian Zenas
Engaging and informative introduction to the Daedra princes that can be summoned in the game. Highly recommended for inexperienced players.

Invocation of Azura by Sigillah Parate
This autobiography of a Dark Elf's spiritual journey includes a list of all calendar dates for Daedra summoning as well as insightful summaries of four Daedra princes. Highly recommended for inexperienced players and seekers of lore.

The Alik'r by Enric Milres
Engaging and quotable account of a poet's journey in the Alik'r Desert. Highly recommended for seekers of lore and fans of good writing.

The Healer's Tale by Anonymous
A pleasant characterisation of temple healers with some unexpected humour. Recommended for players with dungeon fatigue.

Notes for Redguard History by Destri Melarg
Correspondence from a respected historian about a Redguard legend. Avid seekers of lore may enjoy this, but be aware that the author assumed prior knowledge.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

The Merchants' perception of a "rare book" is very similiar to an eBay listing. :mrgreen:
Anyway, on to the reviews.

Holidays of the Iliac Bay by Theth-i
Not as informative as it could have been: some holidays are omitted and the in-game benefits are not mentioned at all. Seekers of lore may enjoy some of the descriptions.

The Old Ways by Celarus
Manifesto of the Psijic Order. Highly recommended for seekers of lore and avid readers of philosophy.

The Epic of the Grey Falcon by Anido Jhone
A technical issue at the time of this review makes the story unreadable in DFU, but you're not missing much. A tale of survival at sea with some mildly amusing humour.

Biography of Queen Barenziah, Volume I by Stem Gamboge, scribe
The Dark Elf Queen of Wayrest is over four hundred years old, so prepare yourself for a lengthy series. Highly recommended for seekers of lore.

The Real Barenziah by Anonymous
Don't be fooled by the absence of a volume number: this unauthorised biography will also be a lengthy series. I recommend that seekers of lore read one volume from both versions of her story before proceeding to the next: the contrast is fascinating.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

Fools' Ebony, Part the Twoth by Frincheps
More of the same antics with some plot development. I was bored by the end.

Fools' Ebony, Part the Threeth by Frincheps
More amusing than the previous part, but only if you read the previous part for the context. It's not worth it.

The War of Betony by Fav'te
Both versions of this book are essential reading for all players, preferably on the first playthough. Fav'te is pro-Sentinel and Vulper Newgate is pro-Daggerfall. Comparing them to each other as well as the player's discoveries during the main quest enhances the overall experience in a way that's remarkable by today's standards, let alone a computer game from 1996. I was also impressed by the distinct writing styles between the two versions, especially when the authors were editorialising in favour of their own sides. Extracting the truth from the propaganda is part of the fun.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

Here's a tip for inexperienced players who want to save their gold for something other than books: there are public libraries in many of the cities in the game. Most of the temples and guilds also have their own libraries that you can access when your rank is high enough.

Anyway, on to the reviews.

A Scholar's Guide to Nymphs by Vondham Barres
Not so much a guide as a cute love story by implication. Recommended for players with dungeon fatigue.

The First Scroll of Baan Dar by Arkan
Ancient tale of a mythical anti-hero and repudiation of contradictory tales. Recommended for seekers of lore.

King Edward, Part I by Anonymous
Engaging story of a foster child in the Daggerfall royal family (centuries before the game's events) who goes on an unexpected journey, to put it mildly. Recommended for seekers of lore.

A Dubious Tale of the Crystal Tower by Bibenus Geon
A mildly amusing diversion for players with dungeon fatigue.

The Fall of the Usurper by Pallaux Illthre
No, it's not about Jagar Tharn. A summary of the Othrok legends that culminated in a war to defend the Septim Dynasty. Recommended for seekers of lore.

The Asylum Ball by Waughin Jarth
A remarkable tale about the final months of Emperor Pelagius III. Highly recommended for seekers of lore.

The Faerie by Szun Tiop
Useless information about an NPC race that was cut from the game during development in the mid-90s. Avid seekers of lore may want to read it, but you're not missing much.

Confessions of a Thief by Anonymous
A description of The Thieves Guild from a biased member that includes a hint on how to join. Recommended for inexperienced players.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

Ark'ay The God by unknown author
There are two versions of this book. Avoid the one with unknown author: it appears to be the game's clumsy attempt at including volumes that have deteriorated. I believe this is the only book that does this.