Book Reviews

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
nicksta1310

Re: Book Reviews

Post by nicksta1310 »

King Edward, Part 2 by Anonymous
A worthy continuation, but just barely. The copious exposition threatened to bore me, if not for the writer's wit when it was needed most. A pity that the end of the chapter felt like a rushed and maudlin contrivance. The technical issues with the text didn't help matters. The third part will need to be much better to renew my confidence in the series.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

Fools' Ebony, Part the Fourth by Frincheps
Fun fact: these books are a script for a stage play. This is the part when the narrator raises doubts about the playwright's competence and it still isn't funny.

Origin of the Mages Guild by Salarth
Avid seekers of lore are bound to read it, but they're likely to be disappointed. The attention to detail fades away with each subsequent paragraph. I was left with more questions than answers.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

Biography of Queen Barenziah, Volume II by Stem Gamboge, scribe
Interesting when compared to parts two, three and four of the unauthorised biography.

The Real Barenziah, Part II by Anonymous
Very interesting when compared to part two of the official biography.

The Real Barenziah, Part III by Anonymous
The explicit content could have been the subject of Senate hearings if it was anything but text, yet the character development elevates this volume well above mere sexploitation or shock value.

The Real Barenziah, Part IV by Anonymous
I couldn't be more impressed with this volume. The dramatic tension, jaw-dropping revelations, unexpected moments of tenderness and elegant ironies. This collection is quickly becoming my favourite part of these book reviews.

Fragment: On Artaeum by Taurce Anselma
Introduction to the Psijic Order and its homeland from an outsider's perspective. Good companion piece with The Old Ways (the insider's perspective) and much better than its sloppy counterpart, Origin of the Mages Guild. Recommended for seekers of lore.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

I have read more than half of the books in the game and my character has reached level 14. :D

The Pig Children by Tyston Bane
A brief rant about orcs from a proponent of genocide. Even the most avid seekers of lore would be disappointed with the scant references to an ancient war in Orsinium.

Oelander's Hammer by Krowle
It's supposed to be an "instructive tale for children," but the message seems to be so subtle that I believe it would go over most of their heads. Either way, it would be an interesting diversion for players with dungeon fatigue once the technical issue with the text is resolved.

Fools' Ebony, Part the Fiveth by Frincheps
"Would you like some incest jokes with the slapstick?"
"No, thanks: my face is already in my palm."

Fools' Ebony, Part the Sixth by Frincheps
If you can sort through the chaos that masquerades as intrigue, then you may discover some fun in this long and messy conclusion. The events in this part alone could have easily replaced parts two through five and the overall story would have been better off. Setting aside my futile attempt at constructive feedback, I'm just glad that it's overth.

A Tale of Kieran by Vegepythicus, editor
Fantasy fiction with a touch of humour that leaves the reader wanting more, despite the contrivance about the balance of magicka. Highly recommended for players with dungeon fatigue.

Biography of Queen Barenziah, Volume III by Stem Gamboge, scribe
Essential reading for anyone who has played Arena or watched a playthrough. I look forward to comparing this with the unauthorised biography.

Note: there may be some confusion over the best way to compare the biographies of Barenziah, because the official version only has three volumes and the unauthorised version has ten. I wasn't aware at the beginning of these reviews that there was a big difference in length. Therefore, I recommend reading all three volumes of the official version first, for simplicity's sake.

The Real Barenziah, Part V by Anonymous
I was fortunate to find this volume so soon after my previous review. It might as well be called the real Tiber Septim in addition to its present title. I already have part six and I can't wait to read it.

The Real Barenziah, Part VI by Anonymous
Oh. My. Goddess.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

Brief History of the Empire, Part I by Stronach
It's brief insofar as it covers about a century per volume. Seekers of lore will appreciate the detail nonetheless. My only other comment, which is not so much a criticism as an observation, is that the "days of blood and venom" never truly ended and Tiber Septim is regarded with rose-coloured spectacles.

Brief History of the Empire, Part II by Stronach
A worthy continuation for seekers of lore. Other readers may get bored.

King Edward, Part III by Anonymous
Better than part two, but difficult to follow as it introduces more characters in a hurry. More technical issues at the time of this review (fragments of paragraphs repeating themselves). The argument between Edward and Moraelyn after the deer hunt is a highlight of the series and I hope that part four continues the upward trend.

The Arrowshot Woman by Anonymous
A brief, if not scant diversion for players with dungeon fatigue.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

I couldn't find any books in Scourg Barrow. I guess the undead prefer live theatre. :mrgreen:

Most of the reviews from now on are the result of visiting the public libraries in the cities.

Broken Diamonds by Ryston Baylor
A sobering origin story of an annual remembrance day in Glenumbra Moors. Recommended for seekers of lore.

The Story of Lyrisius by Bresne Smythe
A clever example of ancient mythology. Recommended for seekers of lore.

The Brothers of Darkness by Pellarne Assi
Remarkable history of a death cult that became the infamous assassin's guild. Highly recommended for seekers of lore and inexperienced players.

Galerion the Mystic by Asgrim Kolsgreg
The contents of this book and Origin of the Mages Guild could have been combined to produce a first draft about the most omnipresent organisation in Tamriel. Instead, seekers of lore will discover that learning about the Dark Brotherhood is a breeze by comparison. Madness!

The Real Barenziah, Part VII by Anonymous
The pathos after the trauma. The commitment to a new chapter. Her childhood dream has come true with unimagined consequences. Yes, it's still highly recommended.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

Tristore Laboratory was a treasure trove. :D

Redguards, History and Heroes by Destri Melarg
The origin story of elite warriors from a distant continent who became the Redguards of Hammerfell. Highly recommended for seekers of lore.

Divad the Singer by Destri Melarg
Companion piece to Redguards, History and Heroes. Recommended for seekers of lore.

Special Flora of Tamriel by Hardin
A herbalist study of flowering plants, some of which can be used as potion ingredients in the game. Recommended for inexperienced players.

Wabbajack by Anonymous
I admire the developer's cleverness in crafting this tale from a recognisable perspective. Inexperienced players may appreciate the clues about summoning (or avoiding) a particular Daedric Prince, but seekers of lore who have read some books I reviewed a while ago will be delighted with the clues about the anonymous author's identity.

The Memory Stone by Makela Leki
A transcript of a magic thought recording from an ancient Redguard warrior moments before her death. Another good companion piece with the books by Destri Melarg. The unexpected humour and inevitable pathos are equally admirable.

The True Barenziah, Part VIII by Anonymous
Though life can feel so short at times, would living for centuries be preferable in retrospect? Boredom creeps on well-trodden paths; long lost friends are easily forgotten; and betrayal hurts more than ever as greater knowledge fails to grant foresight. Despite the erroneous volume title, the book is highly recommended.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

I used to be an adventurer like you, but then I took the main quest in the knee.

I will finish the book reviews, but I'm not likely to finish my playthrough attempt.

The Real Barenziah, Part IX by Anonymous
She came prepared, learning from her mistakes. She chose to stay, observing a sober face. Little did she know that her long life was about to change forever. Yep, still highly recommended.

The Real Barenziah, Part X by Anonymous
The final part of my favourite book here. There's no need for players to read a word of it, but having the choice to explore for its own sake makes Daggerfall something more than a game.

The Light and the Dark by Irek Unterge
A somewhat vague summary of Tamriel's prehistoric creation myth (plus a little philosophy for good measure) followed by a subtle hint that the main quest is bigger than it seems. Unfortunately, the scant lore, absence of gameplay info and mediocre exposition make it hard to recommend. However, if you find the book in a loot drop or a public library, then it doesn't hurt to read it.

Banker's Bet by Porbert Lyttumly
A funny diversion for players with dungeon fatigue. Be aware that it's not family-friendly.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

Ark'ay The God by Mymophonus the Scribe
The origin story of you know who. Recommended for seekers of lore.

Mara's Tear by Zhen
A bittersweet tale of forbidden love, heroic sacrifice and divine intervention. Highly recommended for seekers of lore and players with dungeon fatigue.

On Lycanthropy by Varnard Karessen
A horror story about a werewolf in a homeless shelter, followed by some general information about the phenomenon. The hints in the closing paragraphs are highly recommended for inexperienced players, but the lore about other species of werecreature (not present in the game) is ridiculous.

Vampires of the Iliac Bay, Part I by Anonymous
A macabre tale about the onset of vampirism and its murderous symptoms. Highly recommended for inexperienced players.

Vampires of the Iliac Bay, Part II by Anonymous
A macabre tale about the abilities and weaknesses of a vampire, the existence of vampire clans and a hint that reversal is possible. Highly recommended for inexperienced players.

An Overview of Gods and Worship by Brother Hetchfeld
Vacillation and vague references that tell so little with so many words. Not recommended.

The Ebon Arm by Witten Rol
A brilliant tale about the God of War's divine intervention in a pointless battle. Highly recommended for seekers of lore and players with dungeon fatigue.

King Edward, Part IV by Anonymous
Still getting better. Amusing character development that expertly reminds the reader of Moraelyn's companions from part three.

nicksta1310

Post by nicksta1310 »

Okay, enough speculation. I have books to review.

The Wild Elves by Kiergo Chorvak
An overview of a mysterious Elven race that doesn't appear in the game. There isn't much detail, so seekers of lore may take it or leave it.

Brief History of the Empire, Part III by Stronach
A few more turbulent successors and political struggles that culminate in the aggressive expansionism of Uriel V. Recommended for avid seekers of lore.

A History of Daggerfall by Odiva Gallwood
I like how this volume draws together references to events that the player can read about in other books as well as the ancestry of a main quest character. One can even infer (or at least convince oneself) why Bretons insult other Bretons for being Breton. Highly recommended for seekers of lore.

Wayrest: Jewel of the Bay by Sathyr Longleat
Setting aside the gratuitously gushing first paragraph, this volume is an excellent counterpart to A History of Daggerfall. Unlike the War of Betony books, the historical accounts are consistent. The differences emerge in the author's emphasis on the culture and architecture of the city (some of which is visible in the game) as well as the kingdom's reputation for stability and relative peace. Highly recommended for seekers of lore.

The Sage by Aegrothius Goth
Impressive biography of the prodigious wizard, Gyron Vardengroet. A student's long journey interrupted by obsession born from grief with an ironic resolution, succeeded by a passion for teaching burdened by fame. Highly recommended for seekers of lore and players with dungeon fatigue.

King Edward, Part V by Anonymous
Much better now. Witty dialogue, engaging character development and vivid scenery.

King Edward, Part VI by Anonymous
More eventful, yet equally substantial. Therefore, impressive.

King Edward, Part VII by Anonymous
Equally eventful (albeit in flashback), substantial and humourous for good measure.

King Edward, Part VIII by Anonymous
It's got plenty of heart, even when it gets dark. Be aware that it's not family-friendly.