BIOG files

Discuss coding questions, pull requests, and implementation details.
Jay_H

BIOG files

Post by Jay_H »

I'm attempting a mod with the BIOG files found in the DFU install. There appear to be a few macros that don't have a related function:

TH appears to mean "to-hit," as in a permanent modifier to the to-hit score. I tried checking this using a "%thd" variable in a custom quest, and it returned zero after significant modification.

FT appears to mean "fatigue," as in a permanent modifier to the character's fatigue. I tried modifying this and saw no change in my characters' fatigue.

RR appears to mean "reaction roll." I gave it only minimal testing, but it appears to have no effect on conversation odds.

Is there any hope of adding these (or I could be mistaken and they do work properly), or should I omit any use of them in the future?

numidium3rd

Re: BIOG files

Post by numidium3rd »

TH appears to mean "to-hit," as in a permanent modifier to the to-hit score. I tried checking this using a "%thd" variable in a custom quest, and it returned zero after significant modification.
"TH" and the macro "%thd" have different meanings. The former is, somewhat confusingly, an avoid mod for the player so they get hit less often. The latter returns the To-Hit modifier from the player's agility after buffs/debuffs.
FT appears to mean "fatigue," as in a permanent modifier to the character's fatigue. I tried modifying this and saw no change in my characters' fatigue.
This gets parsed from the biography file and stored in a serialized variable but is apparently never used in gameplay. Good find! I'm curious if that's how it was in Classic.
RR appears to mean "reaction roll." I gave it only minimal testing, but it appears to have no effect on conversation odds.
This gives the player a flat bonus/penalty to any given NPC's reaction in a conversation. It can be hard to notice, though. Try higher values.

I'd avoid using fatigue for now since it's the only one that truly doesn't do anything at the moment. Might be a good idea for us devs to implement it.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Brilliant. You're a champ numidium, thanks for the answers. Can I ask also about RP (resist poison), RD (resist disease), and MR (magic resistance)? Are they working as intended as well? (I know this is very lazy of me to ask, but I don't have a good verification method to use yet).

Code: Select all

7.	You have the most trouble ___.
a.	Resisting poisons
	RP -10
b.	Staying awake and alert
	FT -5
c.	Getting along with others
	RR -5
d.	Avoiding diseases
	RD -5
e.	Resisting magic spells
	MR -5
f.	Fighting and parrying
	TH -5

numidium3rd

Post by numidium3rd »

RP is included in the saving throw calculation for spell effects with the poison flag set. Looks like that one's working as intended.
RD works the same as RP except for diseases.
MR is the same except for "magic" effects i.e. not poison, disease, elemental, or paralysis.
They're all included in saving throws so I think you're fine to use them.
(I know this is very lazy of me to ask, but I don't have a good verification method to use yet).
No worries. It's been a few years but I wrote most of the parser for biog files so it was no biggie to look these up.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

This is awesome. It opens up so many cool options to use in character generation. Thank you very much, that's all I could ask.