[0.14.5] Soul Bound: Daedra Lord - Disadvantages not Occurring [RESOLVED 0.15.1]

Bug's Life

[0.14.5] Soul Bound: Daedra Lord - Disadvantages not Occurring [RESOLVED 0.15.1]

Post by Bug's Life »

Adding the Soul Bound: Daedra Lord Disadvantage when enchanting Magic Items does not cause User Takes Damage: In Holy Places or Extra Weight as intended. Item weight remains the same and User will not take damage in Holy Places. The -8000 Enchanting points are still added to items as intended, allowing Users to do so without any added Disadvantages. This occurs with unmodded DFU 0.14.5.

Tested with Daedric Cuirass, Plain Robes, Formal Cloak, Wrap, Bracers, Marks, and Diamonds. Armor was painted in the save file using Paints and Dyes Mod; coloration was still changed even with the mod removed. Adding and removing items from the inventory confirmed the items actual weight matched its displayed value correctly.

Did not test if Potent Vs: Daedra Advantage was occurring on weapons or not.

It may be worthwhile to double check the other Souls Bounds Advantages/Disadvantages as well if this can be reproduced.
Screenshot (437).png
Screenshot (437).png (755.38 KiB) Viewed 10965 times
Screenshot (438).png
Screenshot (438).png (690.15 KiB) Viewed 10965 times

Interkarma

Re: [0.14.5] Soul Bound: Daedra Lord - Disadvantages not Occurring

Post by Interkarma »

Hey there, thanks for report. :)

I tested this in 0.14.5 with multiple items and everything working as expected. Just one example below.

Item weight before is 0.25kg
weight-before.png
weight-before.png (33.65 KiB) Viewed 10926 times

Item weight after is 1.0kg (4x weight)
weight-after.png
weight-after.png (35.58 KiB) Viewed 10926 times

All enchants show properly on item.
enchantments.png
enchantments.png (36.85 KiB) Viewed 10926 times

I also tested damage from holy places and lost 1 HP per 4 game minutes as it should.

From your screenshots, it doesn't look like the enchantment was applied correctly for some reason. Hard to say what the cause of this could be, and I can't reproduce at this time.

Did you setup the game using the recommended DaggerfallGameFiles method to ensure that game data is properly patched and compatible? And are you positive you have no mods installed?

If you setup some other way, can you please create a clean setup using DaggerfallGameFiles and test enchanting some other items? You can use the below console commands to generate a pool of items quickly for testing.

Code: Select all

add weapon 100
add armor 100
add soul 100
If you continue to have troubles with this, please attach a save of your character for testing and I'll take a closer look.

Bug's Life

Post by Bug's Life »

Interkarma wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:05 am Did you setup the game using the recommended DaggerfallGameFiles method to ensure that game data is properly patched and compatible?
I installed via the latest Steam Release Updated instructions for Windows listed on the homepage devblog page here: https://www.dfworkshop.net/

I did not use the DaggerfallGameFiles method.
Last edited by Bug's Life on Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Just to clarify quickly - dfworkshop.net is not the homepage for Daggerfall Unity. This is my personal devblog site journaling over 14 years of developing tools for Daggerfall (of which DFU is just the most well-known). I will sometimes post technical/support articles here based on what's happening at that time. The closest thing Daggerfall Unity has to a homepage is the GitHub Releases page below.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfall-unity/releases

In any case, I've tested again using the Steam gamedata and still cannot reproduce the issue you're reporting. Soul Bound enchantments with enforced side-effects are all working as expected.

For the sake of troubleshooting on your end, please follow my advice above and setup a fresh copy using the recommended DaggerfallGameFiles method. While my blog explains how to setup using Steam, this is still not the best version of game data available. The game files I provide are patched and curated specifically for Daggerfall Unity.

If you still have issues creating these enchantments in a fresh setup with no mods, please provide a copy of your save (how to locate) and I'm happy to take a closer look.

Bug's Life

Post by Bug's Life »

I did some additional testing and I think I may have stumbled on to a big game mechanics discovery.

I believe that the Soul Bound Daedra Lords I found and used were actually unique because I collected them while doing a Mages Guild Quest. Any Daedra Lord souls I add using console commands are working as intended, regardless of installation or mod setup (I tried all methods). This may be similar to how Dragonling Souls collected in a specific Knight Order Quest are different.

I need some time to gather my save files and make another post with findings. Luckily I have the files where I was sent on this quest and may be able to reproduce this.

Regardless, the issue is not occurring when using console command added Souls for the Steam method or DaggerfallGameFiles method. Mods had no effect either. Install methods or Mods are not the cause.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the additional details. :)

Please provide a save when you can, and I'm happy to take a closer look. Cheers!

Edit: I've been able to reproduce now. As you suspected, the problem manifests with a wild-caught Daedra Lord. I've confirmed problem and have what I need now to investigate further. Thanks again.

Edit2: Found and confirmed cause of issue. It's a UI bug and not related to how soul was captured. Short version - when there's only 1 filled soul gem remaining in player inventory, the enchanting UI will not correctly apply forced disadvantages. Adding another filled soul gem to inventory fixes (or rather, works around) issue. I'll patch this one when I can.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I've pushed a fix for this one now. Some more details in commit comments.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... eb4ded4026

This will be patched in 0.15.1. Thanks for your patience as we worked through the problem. :)

Bug's Life

Post by Bug's Life »

Here are my saves. The first is the quest I was sent on: the Mages Guild standard Azimuthal Vectors. The Dungeon with a note was a dead end and I went to find the scholar in the other, if that has any relevance. This is outside the dungeon, I only have 1 soul gem but do know soul trap. The dungeon has several Daedra Lords inside. The save is 87 named 'baal'.
SAVE87.zip
(860.16 KiB) Downloaded 174 times
The other save is much further progressed, when I reached guild Rank to Make Magic Items. Note, the characters in each save have two different names. The above is "Uma of the Reach" and the below is "Uma of the Reachfolk" after I renamed the character. This save has 9 Daedra Lord Soul Gems and each one provides -8000 Enchant Points with no associated Advantages/Disadvantages. save is named 'soultest'.
SAVE146.zip
(670.91 KiB) Downloaded 159 times
Both saves have used mods. The above is dependent but the below is not (I loaded and created a new save using no mods). Not using the dependent mods has not caused any crashes for me but may. If there are issues, I can upload more saves if needed with different mod setups. This is my mod list for reference:
  • Aquatic Sprites 1.0
  • BetterAmbience
  • Convenient Clock
  • Distant Terrain 2.9.1
  • Enemy Health Bar
  • EnhancedSky_3.0.2
  • Fixed Desert Architecture
  • Fixed Dungeon Exteriors
  • Improved Interior Lighting
  • Main Quest Identifier
  • No Dice Mod 0.3
  • PaintsAndDyes
  • Readied Spellcasting Hands - Windows 1.3
  • Red Brick Replacer
  • Skip intro video - Windows and OSX
  • Transparent Windows
  • Unofficial Block Location and Model fixes - UBLaMF - Windows version
  • Vanilla Enhanced - Ninelan's No Nudity
  • Vanilla Enhanced
  • Viewable Skill Progress v1.21 - DFU v0.14.1
  • fixed paperdoll skin - fix paperdoll skin (now with fixed capitalization for linux)

Interkarma

Re: [0.14.5] Soul Bound: Daedra Lord - Disadvantages not Occurring [RESOLVED 0.15.1]

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks again for all the details. I've found and corrected the issue in code now. This bug won't happen with item maker in 0.15.1 or later. :)