[0.14.5] Enemies spawned by a quest leave no corpses when the quest ends

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
MrFlibble

[0.14.5] Enemies spawned by a quest leave no corpses when the quest ends

Post by MrFlibble »

I've noticed that when a quest spawns enemies and they are left active after the quest is completed, they will leave no corpses when slain.

For example, I had the Cursed Weapon quest for the temple, which incessantly spawns orcs to attack the player. I ran away from three such quest-created orcs and a bit later I found the NPC in the dungeon and delivered the weapon, which ended the quest. The orcs were still roaming the dungeon and I ran into them on my way back. They simply disappeared when defeated.

Similarly, there is a random quest from an add-on pack which summons a Giant in a town that the player is visiting, with the quest apparently ending when the giant is slain. The quest ending text implies that the player can loot the giant's body, but there is none left.

I'm not sure how this relates to vanilla DF behaviour though. Also I'm running a bunch of mods (list below), although I doubt this is caused by any of them:
Spoiler!
Actions Framework
Aquatic Sprites
Archaeologists' Guild
Arena's Adventures
Arena-Style Flavor Text
Background Question and History Fixes
Basic Roads
Better Default Classes
Better Quality Descriptions
Better Ambience
Daggerfall Expanded Textures
Detailed City Walls
DFU Quest Pack 1
Diverse Weapons
Enemy Expansion
Famous Faces of the Iliac Bay
Finding My Religion
Fixed Paperdoll Skin
Forgotten Quest Pack
Interesting Eroded Terrain
Lively Cities
Random Little Quests
Red Brick Replacer
Taverns Redone
Town Greetings of the Iliac Bay
Travel Options
UBlaMF
Unique Armor
Vanilla Enhanced
Vibrant Terrain Flats
Wilderness Overhaul
World of Daggerfall

Interkarma

Re: [0.14.5] Enemies spawned by a quest leave no corpses when the quest ends

Post by Interkarma »

Enemy corpses are also removed after a quest ends in classic. I personally don't mind either behaviour and was happy to leave corpses lying around. This can be messy after certain quests though (e.g. Guard the Guild) that spawn lots of enemies. Multiple people raised this over the years, so ended up implementing cleanup.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

MrFlibble wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:49 pm Similarly, there is a random quest from an add-on pack which summons a Giant in a town that the player is visiting, with the quest apparently ending when the giant is slain. The quest ending text implies that the player can loot the giant's body, but there is none left.
The quest in mind gives you an hour to kill the giant, before the timer runs out and the body will auto-remove. I thought an hour is plenty of time to kill one enemy :lol: Maybe I'll have to make it longer.

Sappho20

Post by Sappho20 »

It’s intended behaviour, ok. I think there needs to be more awareness of this with mod authors as many quests, especially wilderness encounters, tend to end once the bad guys are dead. Often unless you paralyse an enemy, the corpses disappear before you can loot them. I think they will have to update their quests to add a short timer to the end, so it is possible to loot your foes.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Jay_H wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:16 pm The quest in mind gives you an hour to kill the giant, before the timer runs out and the body will auto-remove. I thought an hour is plenty of time to kill one enemy :lol: Maybe I'll have to make it longer.
Um, I had this quest twice and completed each time in certainly less than one hour, yet the giant would spawn no corpse when killed. I would receive a message clearly suggesting that I can loot the corpse but nope, nothing to loot.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

MrFlibble wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:48 pm
Jay_H wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:16 pm The quest in mind gives you an hour to kill the giant, before the timer runs out and the body will auto-remove. I thought an hour is plenty of time to kill one enemy :lol: Maybe I'll have to make it longer.
Um, I had this quest twice and completed each time in certainly less than one hour, yet the giant would spawn no corpse when killed. I would receive a message clearly suggesting that I can loot the corpse but nope, nothing to loot.
No, you're right. I scripted the quest to end when the giant dies, and I should not have. I'll make that fix now. My mistake.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Thanks!

BTW, I did not realise that the disappearing corpses are a vanilla feature, guess I never noticed that before (honestly I did not get that orc weapon quest from temples in my vanilla playthroughs).