[MOD] Language Skills Overhaul

A curated forum for compatible and maintained mods. Users are unable to create new topics in this forum but can reply to existing topics. Please message a moderator to have your mod moved into this forum area.
Macadaynu

Re: [MOD] Language Skills Overhaul

Post by Macadaynu »

Version 1.0 released:

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/257

New features:

- Animal Taming, Necromancy and Sylvan Tongue skills added
- Race specific abilities
- Conversation dice rolls mode added
- Max pacify attempts / skill uses per enemy options added
- Level up your party members
- Pet your animal followers
- Various fixes / improvements

Daggerfall Unity 01-Aug-22 10_29_21 PM.png
Daggerfall Unity 01-Aug-22 10_29_21 PM.png (1.44 MiB) Viewed 2354 times

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

Incredible progress

SharkClub

Post by SharkClub »

Great mod. I have no idea where the creator is more likely to read my feedback but I got a little excited and enthusiastic for his mod and textwalled the Nexus comments section of the mod, I'll copypaste it here in case anyone else on the forum wants to weigh in on my suggestions/ideas too.
This mod is awesome and I love you for making it. I've played a few language skill characters in the past for gimmicks which mostly involved luring enemies into pacified friendly ones to deal with them, but this mod's implementation of what it sets out to do really improves the game for language-based characters and adds a lot of worth to those skills in general where they would usually just be for gimmick builds. Well done.

I did however notice that in the Docs tab for this mod page, in the list of enemies and their abilities that the Dreughs and Lamias are seemingly absent from the list, despite them being tameable with the Impish and Nymph skills respectively in vanilla. I'm assuming I can still use Sylvan Tongue to tame Lamias and Impish to tame Dreughs but do they not have their own racial abilities? Or maybe my assumption is wrong and this is an oversight of this mod. I haven't found any Lamias or Dreughs to test this stuff out myself since installing this mod.

Here's a list of the enemies in code normally tameable per skill: https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... ty.cs#L561

Another thing, I also noticed that in your list of Daggerfall Enemy Expansion enemies that are compatible with this mod, the Medusa is missing, which kinda seems out of place if you are able to tame Lamias which are on the surface a bit similar (I suppose Medusas could technically even be Daedric creations). Unfortunately because Lamias were tameable with the Nymph language skill, even putting them under Sylvan Tongue starts to make little sense, then adding Medusas to that would make even less sense. My suggestion would be to rename Harpy to something else and bundle Harpies, Lamias and Medusas in there (Harpy skill currently only affects Harpies and nothing else, which is the only language skill that still does this after this mod + enemy expansion). Physically Harpies, Lamias, Medusas (and even Centaurians? Minotaurs?) are similar enough (the half-man half-monster thing obviously) that they could probably be bundled under some Hybrid Monster language skill or some such. It also probably wouldn't be out of place for Will-o'-the-wisps to be under Sylvan Tongue/Nymph as well as Fire Daemons and Dremora Churls being under Daedric. I actually don't know if Daggerfall Enemy Expansion handles language skills normally for all these enemies anyway.

Also +1 to the other guy in the comments who said that Necromancy might make more sense if it used INT as its main stat rather than PER. You don't really need charisma to talk to corpses, I wouldn't think.

Sluggy

Post by Sluggy »

So I've been on an optimization kick for the last day or so in DFU. So far I've managed to fix several super easy problems in the engine itself. I've also identified some of the worst offenders in my mods list and they've all been removed or fixed if I have access to the source code.

Unfortunately for this mod currently sits right at the top of the FBI's most wanted list for performance offenders. If you or anyone you know has any information in regards to the whereabouts of the mod author please contact us at 1-800 Crime TV (seriously don't do that though. It's just a parody of an old tv show. Just shoot me a PM)

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

Macadaynu wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:55 pm Version 1.0 released:

https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity/mods/257

New features:

- Animal Taming, Necromancy and Sylvan Tongue skills added
- Race specific abilities
- Conversation dice rolls mode added
- Max pacify attempts / skill uses per enemy options added
- Level up your party members
- Pet your animal followers
- Various fixes / improvements

Daggerfall Unity 01-Aug-22 10_29_21 PM.png
Maca, you are the good soul that picked up my abandonned mod and made it great again!
Please share with us your Github repo for this mod, so we can do the same for you. Your mod is amazing but it keeps spawning corpses if a follower dies wherever we go. Possibly could be fixed by dismissing the follower once it dies and I would love to go through the code and find that part and add it, so we can continue to enjoy and love your amazing mod! <3
In Julianos we Trust.

carademono

Post by carademono »

Hey Daniel, would you be willing to join us over on the Lysandus' Tomb Discord server? I'd love to pick your brain about terrain stuff.

https://discord.gg/VNTTg3Ph

paladin181

Post by paladin181 »

Question. How does one level up the language skills if you can't attempt pacification until skill level 20?

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

carademono wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:57 pm Hey Daniel, would you be willing to join us over on the Lysandus' Tomb Discord server? I'd love to pick your brain about terrain stuff.

I would love to! Sadly I saw this too late and now the link has become invalid :S
Sorry! Could you provide me with another one please?
In Julianos we Trust.

Daniel87

Post by Daniel87 »

paladin181 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:34 pm Question. How does one level up the language skills if you can't attempt pacification until skill level 20?
I am not sure if it was part of this mod but I have a mod that allwos me to buy books and learn skills from those, so I spent a month studying in a tavern and am now fluent in all languages.
In Julianos we Trust.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Daniel87 wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 7:08 pm
carademono wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:57 pm Hey Daniel, would you be willing to join us over on the Lysandus' Tomb Discord server? I'd love to pick your brain about terrain stuff.

I would love to! Sadly I saw this too late and now the link has become invalid :S
Sorry! Could you provide me with another one please?
This is a permanent link: https://discord.gg/GuhyGaNP9x