Quest Issue - "A Mix-Up"

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Quarter321

Quest Issue - "A Mix-Up"

Post by Quarter321 »

Hey all,

I've noticed that this quest is a common issue with a lot of players and I've read through the posts about it that I could find. However, none of these posts, although they are very detailed, have been able to help me complete this quest. From the Elder Scrolls wiki thing on the quest, I seem to be at the second step of the quest: finding the real culprit. I have a mysterious letter that suggests I look for a noble woman, Elayne Ashsley, in Old Gwynyn's farm in the Daggerfall region. For context, this whole quest began in the town of Horcester - not sure if that's relevant but I'm out of ideas at this point.

I've been to Old Gywnyn's Farm several times, have asked every townsperson about Ashsley and none of them have given me any clues or information on Ashsley. Most annoyingly, Ashsley isn't even in the town! There's a single building in the town, too, with only one resident inside. I've read that the game often gives you the wrong location in the note (which is insane), so I even traveled to Horcester in hopes that someone in town would know about the crime. Not a damn thing apparently. I'm just not sure where to begin with this quest if the game refuses to give me any clues on where I can find Ashsley.

I've only recently started playing Daggerfall Unity (about two days ago since this post) and this quest is souring the entire experience for me. I've read that having low reputation with the guards in the Daggerfall region won't influence any quests and will restore itself to normal over a long period of in-game time, however I hate going to a town and then being arrested for simply existing - I'm essentially being fined for playing the game, a game that is refusing to give me adequate information on how to complete this quest.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Jay_H

Re: Quest Issue - "A Mix-Up"

Post by Jay_H »

Hello! :)

If you upload your save game here, that'll help to determine what the problem is.

I highly recommend removing that quest from the game (for example, my mod Vanilla Quests Re-ranked does that for you), but if you want to immediately fix the damage, you can use the console command clear_negativelegalrep to make yourself no longer a criminal in that region, or in any other.

Interkarma

Re: Quest Issue - "A Mix-Up"

Post by Interkarma »

This is definitely a pain of a quest, even when it's working as intended. As Jay said, a save where the quest is active (how to locate saves) would be useful to see what's going on.

I'm seriously considering disabling this quest before 1.0. Unless you know to avoid the quest when it's offered, all it does it derail the game.