(0.14.5) No cutscenes + logbook blank after killing Woodborne.

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Arunokun

(0.14.5) No cutscenes + logbook blank after killing Woodborne.

Post by Arunokun »

Hello there,

I have been working hard to at last finishing Daggerfall despite bad luck in my previous attempts through years.

First thing that didn't work well : The cutscene at the end of Lysandus' revelation quest froze, leaving me to push escape to pass it.

Continuing right away and killing Woodborne, same thing : the cutscene froze and I had to leave it through escape button. But right after this my logbook became blank and I couldn't grab Woodborn's diary.

Sorry if this bug was ever submitted already.
Last edited by Arunokun on Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Interkarma

Re: No cutscenes + logbook blank after killong Woodborne.

Post by Interkarma »

I'm not familiar with any bugs that cause cutscenes to freeze. This all went into the game several year ago, so anything like that would have been uncovered or fixed by now. It's possible mods are contributing to the problem.

The standard advice is to disable/remove mods until you isolate which one is causing the issue. You can also setup a clean test version of the game without mods just by unzipping a fresh download to a different folder. If you still have problems with cutscenes freezing, please attach a save (how to locate) and somebody can take a closer look. Please ensure save is just before cutscene is played (e.g. a save before Woodborne fight).

Let us know if you don't have a save to fall back on, and we can help you reboot the main quest from console. :)

Arunokun

Re: No cutscenes + logbook blank after killong Woodborne.

Post by Arunokun »

Thank you for your quick answer.

I forgot to tell but I tried again disabling all mods, also tried from a fresher Daggerfall Unity version (so without mods). None of these solved the problem. I attached my save file in case someone nice enough would check it.

No kidding, it's very frustrating for me. Everytime I try to finish this game, which is probably my favourite TES, something keeps me from doing it ! :lol:
Attachments
SAVE1.zip
(307.22 KiB) Downloaded 23 times

Interkarma

Re: (0.14.5) No cutscenes + logbook blank after killing Woodborne.

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for save. :) I've loaded this into unmodded DFU 0.14.5. After killing Woordborne, I don't experience any freezing when the cutscene plays. This is almost certainly something in your setup.

Please try installing a clean copy to a fresh folder using the recommended DaggerfallGameFiles method. It's probably best to remove the old version completely, especially if using GOG Cut.

It also can't hurt to delete your settings.ini (how to locate) when starting a fresh install. Add back mods later once you're confident everything is working OK.

In regards to blank log, this is just where you're up to in the game. At this stage, you've wrapped up the main quest backbone and lifted the haunting curse of Daggerfall. Those two entries are now cleared from your log.

Who Gets the Totem activates after killing Woodborne. It carries a 7+ day timer before letter arrives. You'll need to be in a city area for letter to arrive after delay has elapsed. After you visit Lady Brisienna again, this quest will become visible in your log. I ran through this process in your save starting from killing Woodborne, and everything rolled out OK.

Arunokun

Post by Arunokun »

I reinstalled the whole thing, Daggerfall included and now I can see the cutscene normally. Thank you for your help.

However, I can still not grab Woodborne's diary and read it. But I guess it's secondary anyway.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I can grab and read the diary in 0.14.5 with no mods installed :)