Does Reversible tunic have wrong frames?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
MrFlibble

Does Reversible tunic have wrong frames?

Post by MrFlibble »

I've noticed that the male clothing item called Reversible tunic can be "used" to alternate between two drastically different forms:

It seems highly unrealistic that these two should be the same garment, flipped inside out. The version on the right has two very similar variants (frames 40 and 41 as per ANDYPIC numbering) called Formal tunic, whereas the version on the left is almost identical to frame 109, save for the neck line, called simply Long shirt. I suspect that there's been some mistake in the ordering of the frames, but I'm not sure how to rearrange them to correct this. I'd guess that both frames should look like the formal tunic, but not sure where to move what is supposedly the long shirt.

If anything, I'd suspect that frames 40 and 41 should be the Reversible tunic (as their colours appear to be inverted), whereas frame 43 is more ornate and thus looks more like what could be called a Formal tunic.

What do you think?

King of Worms

Re: Does Reversible tunic have wrong frames?

Post by King of Worms »

Yeah I remember asking the same when I worked on the upscales, but I was told its supposed to be like this :lol:

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

King of Worms wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:35 pm Yeah I remember asking the same when I worked on the upscales, but I was told its supposed to be like this :lol:
Told by whom? I understand that this is how the game has worked for decades, but I suppose the frames could be rearranged.

Unless this is meant to be some kind of a magical object, there's no way that the two frames represent the same item.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I dont remember by whom - and I agree it makes no sense.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

As you no doubt already know, item variances like this work as a +index offset from the template image. Variants are packed sequentially in their TEXTURE archive.

The starting image and number of variants is defined by template data in FALL.EXE. Here's the relevant bits for Reversable Tunic. It has 2 variants, including the starting image. So the variant offset can be record+0 (first variant) or record+1 (second variant).

Code: Select all

"name": "Reversible Tunic",
"variants": 2,
"playerTextureArchive": 239,
"playerTextureRecord": 42
The starting variant is TEXTURE.239 index 42 (record+0), which is the harlequin variant. The second variant is index 43 (record+1) which is the plainer shirt. Here they are side-by-side as seen in DFImaging2.

reversible-tunic-variants.png
reversible-tunic-variants.png (24.13 KiB) Viewed 3263 times

As to the fact they look to be cut like totally different shirts, yeah I agree with you. :) But it's down to how they're packed in gamedata, not how DFU is following the rules of texture variants.

I suppose you could mod either image variant to look more like the other, if it bothers you?