[0.14.5] Skill bonuses screen bypass

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
pango

[0.14.5] Skill bonuses screen bypass

Post by pango »

As happened in a PurbleBird speedrun, "You must distribute bonus points" showed up, the the screen to select game speed.
When he when back one screen, bonuses were cleared
https://www.twitch.tv/purbleburd/clip/K ... mgLqMp2MpP

I tried replicating the issue, repeatedly clicking on EXIT etc, but did not manage to replicate it.
Hopefully a rare glitch
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

PurbleBurd

Re: [0.14.5] Skill bonuses screen bypass

Post by PurbleBurd »

Thanks for posting this! I was actually just coming here to post it myself, because I went back and tested and I believe I've reproduced it.

To reproduce: When you reach the Custom Class screen or either of the point-allocating screens and the game would normally prevent you from proceeding, click "Exit"/"OK" and the Escape key simultaneously (or very close to it) while the "You can't do that" menu is up. This is most easily done with an auto-clicker while you tap Escape repeatedly, but is also easy enough to do manually if you try for a little while (at least on the point allocation screens, doing it manually on the Custom Class screen is tough since messing up boots you back to the previous screen which doesn't immediately advance again). It doesn't seem to work on the "Enter Name" screen, I'd guess because it doesn't give you a popup if you try to proceed without entering something.

Overall it's very unlikely to come up accidentally unless you're rapidly creating characters very quickly (like me), but it can be used to create a character with 75 in all attributes, Medical in all skills, and no Class name, as below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9YtE8kkodQ