Started A DOS Daggerfall Let's Play, Since The Previous Arena LP Was Fun

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Magicono43

Started A DOS Daggerfall Let's Play, Since The Previous Arena LP Was Fun

Post by Magicono43 »

One might wonder why I'm doing this Let's Play using DOS Daggerfall instead of DFU. I explain that in the first introduction part of this video, might be a dumb reason, but I feel it is warranted. Saving DFU Let's Plays for roleplaying fantasy life simulations with heavy modding. DOS DF in this case for playing out the story with this specific character. I am definitely going to have a much greater appreciation for DFU by the end of this!

Hope you enjoy if you are interested in joining this adventure!

MrFlibble

Re: Started A DOS Daggerfall Let's Play, Since The Previous Arena LP Was Fun

Post by MrFlibble »

Why have you set DOSBox cycles to 60,000? Doesn't anything more than 50,000 cycles screw up some playing mechanics like jumping?

My default DOSBox cycle conf is:

Code: Select all

cycles=auto 6075 100% limit 33445
which seems adequate enough for vanilla Daggerfall.

It is also sufficient to leave CPU core at auto as it will switch to dynamic whenever a protected mode application is run (and Daggerfall is a protected mode app).

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

MrFlibble wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:42 pm Why have you set DOSBox cycles to 60,000? Doesn't anything more than 50,000 cycles screw up some playing mechanics like jumping?

My default DOSBox cycle conf is:

It is also sufficient to leave CPU core at auto as it will switch to dynamic whenever a protected mode application is run (and Daggerfall is a protected mode app).
Don't know, it's just basically the same settings that I used in Arena and it felt pretty comfortable there. So far 60K has been working alright I think, just makes reading the HUD text a bit difficult as it disappears fairly quickly, outside of that not really any major issues that I have seen atleast.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

Magicono43 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:38 pm So far 60K has been working alright I think, just makes reading the HUD text a bit difficult as it disappears fairly quickly, outside of that not really any major issues that I have seen atleast.
There's some rather noticeable screen tearing in your videos, I think it might be related to high cycles count but I'm not 100% sure.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

MrFlibble wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:36 pm
Magicono43 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:38 pm So far 60K has been working alright I think, just makes reading the HUD text a bit difficult as it disappears fairly quickly, outside of that not really any major issues that I have seen atleast.
There's some rather noticeable screen tearing in your videos, I think it might be related to high cycles count but I'm not 100% sure.
If I think I know what you mean, I think that might just be the means I am capturing the game. Something where when the screen refreshes it does not always do it fully unless something else on the screen updates the screen again. But I'm not certain, I think the same thing was happening when recording Arena, but on my screen atleast the issue does not show up until I check the recording afterward in my video editor.

comradesean

Post by comradesean »

I played through using 86box and found it a lot better than dosbox. There was a weird glitch when movies were played that caused 86box to CTD randomly when they were played, but this was more of a problem with Battlespire and Redguard and could be resolved with a no-cd patch. (I also think the latest version fixed the problem)

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

comradesean wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:04 am I played through using 86box and found it a lot better than dosbox. There was a weird glitch when movies were played that caused 86box to CTD randomly when they were played, but this was more of a problem with Battlespire and Redguard and could be resolved with a no-cd patch. (I also think the latest version fixed the problem)
I may have accidentally found the issue, it seems stuff gets messed up on the recording side when capturing the dosbox window itself, but I accidentally recorded my entire desktop with the windowed game in view that I see and it looks fine. I might try this next I record where I crop the rest of my desktop out of the frame and just capture the windowed game from there, not sure how it will be, but I may as well give it a try, lol.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Finally brought this particular Let's Play to a conclusion. I have my overall thoughts/review of my experience playing DOS Daggerfall through as I did (starts at around 30 minutes, check the time-stamps.) I had alot of fun, got frustrated a good few times, but still had fun nevertheless. I'm glad I did it and was surprised that it was alot more playable than I initially anticipated in DOS (yeah I had unofficial patches and some mods, but still.)

At the end there is a little end credits/clip showcase of notable locations Sinia went through on this play through, hope you enjoy.

Magicono43

Post by Magicono43 »

Here is the end credits/location montage thing I had in the finale video just on its own.

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

MrFlibble wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:42 pm My default DOSBox cycle conf is:

Recently I was doing some playtesting of vanilla DF and figured out that somewhat higher cycles count, but still below 50,000, gives a nice performance increase and plays smoothly. I've capped the cycles at 47810 -- this is a DOSBox-X suggestion BTW, although I'm using DOSBox ECE with the crt-geom.tweaked.glsl CRT shader from this pack.

cycles=auto 6075 98% limit 47810