Fonts mixing

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
L57

Fonts mixing

Post by L57 »

Thank you!

I have also one more question (off-topic, but related), though I know this is pretty obvious suggestion, and it has already been discussed somewhere: is it possible to fix somehow font mixing in dialog boxes? I mean those buttons like "Repair item", "Talk", etc. If Modern style font chosen, two or three of these entries are still written in Classic font in CAPS, while the bottom line is written in Modern font (and not CAPS), usually "Sell" or "Banking".

I assume Classic font in these entries is "hard-coded", if it's so perhaps it would be better to switch "Sell" and "Banking" to Classic CAPS font even if the player has selected Modern style font in general?

13thsyndicate

Re: [Resolved 0.15.3] Background: question marks with Classic font

Post by 13thsyndicate »

This is because some of the buttons are images, which were made to match classic font, while others are blank and have words imposed over them. Why they did it this way, nobody knows.

pango

Post by pango »

(Splitting the topic)

A solution, that I find better than using classic fonts for backgrounds that already contain hardcoded texts, would be to hide hardcoded texts, then write all texts with current font.

To remove texts from original assets without including the original assets themselves in DFU, would be to include "patches" to hide classic texts. Good tool for that could be GIMP Resynthesize plugin's "heal transparency", then "Animation optimize".

Say, I clone the layer of the original background, then I select existing text, on upper layer,
Heal transparency before.jpg
Heal transparency before.jpg (200.42 KiB) Viewed 902 times
Making sure the upper layer has a transparency channel I cut the original text then ask the "heal transparency" function to fill in the hole with pieces of surrounding texture. It's part random, if you're not satisfied you can undo and try again.
Heal transparency after.jpg
Heal transparency after.jpg (172.4 KiB) Viewed 902 times
Once you're satisfied you can use "Animation optimize" to only keep modified pixels, compared to the original image that's still on the bottom layer:
Heal transparency only.jpg
Heal transparency only.jpg (186.47 KiB) Viewed 902 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Re: Fonts mixing

Post by pango »

Resulting patch, if anybody interested
Tavern patch.png
Tavern patch.png (2 KiB) Viewed 898 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

MrFlibble

Post by MrFlibble »

pango wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:27 pm Making sure the upper layer has a transparency channel I cut the original text then ask the "heal transparency" function to fill in the hole with pieces of surrounding texture. It's part random, if you're not satisfied you can undo and try again.
Wow, if only I had something like this back in the early-mid 2000s when I was fiddling with fanmade localizations of Command & Conquer games.