Unity Shadow and Lighting Options

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Reignhardt

Unity Shadow and Lighting Options

Post by Reignhardt »

Hello all.
Quick question about adding some more granular settings for Shadows and Lighting.
I am aware that Interkarma is working on wrapping this up and probably won't be making any adjustments, but if you don't ask, you will never know right?

How hard is it to add some more granular options besides the general quality slider we currently have?

I know nothing about Unity, however in discussions on this board, I have seen that the Unity engine has some settings, when you are developing, for shadows, shadow cascades, lighting etc, that are much more granular than what we currently are able to adjust from the menu in-game.
Would it be super hard to have some of these settings available to the player?
I would love to see some of this in the games menu, like shadow rendering range(interior/exterior), light rendering range(interior/exterior), shadows per light (is that shadow cascades?), etc.

Anyways, Thanks again Interkarma, Et al., for your super hard work on this project!
Having a blast playing!
~Reignhardt

pango

Re: Unity Shadow and Lighting Options

Post by pango »

Hi Reignhardt,

Daggerfall Unity does not innovate by bundling quality presets, that's a feature of Unity:
https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-Q ... tings.html
So several settings are adjusted at once just calling QualitySettings.SetQualityLevel()
(DaggerfallAdvancedSettingsWindow.cs, DaggerfallPauseOptionsWindow.cs, DaggerfallUnitySetupGameWizard.cs)

I think individual settings are still available, if you want to replace/complement that.
There's currently no facilities for getting called every time quality settings are changed, I don't know how hard it would be to mod without additional support in core.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Reignhardt

Re: Unity Shadow and Lighting Options

Post by Reignhardt »

Thanks Pango!

I am looking at the documentation you linked. Total novice here, but I think you are saying there is a way for me to edit the settings locally, after I get the Unity Editor up and running.
Getting my learning cap on while I go through this documentation.
:geek: :coffee:
~Reignhardt