MeriTamas's (Mostly) Magic Mod [v0.7 released]

Show off your mod creations or just a work in progress.
menoleyanea

Re: MeriTamas's (Mostly) Magic Mod [v0.7 released]

Post by menoleyanea »

I really, really like this mod! I've been playing it along with the mods included in the list you provided and they make for a really unique experience. I have a personal request though, the "core game modifications" you explained in the 9th dev post piqued my interest however I really couldn't figure out how to do the entire building process through Unity and gave up after a while, I wanted to ask if you could provide more in-depth instructions or the game files you use themselves, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks for all of your contributions.

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

menoleyanea wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:26 pm I really, really like this mod! I've been playing it along with the mods included in the list you provided and they make for a really unique experience.
Thanks for the feedback. I have already put quite a bit of work into this project and since then I haven't even had the time to play... Now, knowing that at least one person is out there who finds it enjoyable is a big boost that will help me stay motivated to develop the mod further. :)
menoleyanea wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:26 pm I have a personal request though, the "core game modifications" you explained in the 9th dev post piqued my interest however I really couldn't figure out how to do the entire building process through Unity and gave up after a while, I wanted to ask if you could provide more in-depth instructions or the game files you use themselves, I'd really appreciate it! Thanks for all of your contributions.
I am pretty sure I can get the time in the next couple of weeks to explain some of those parts in more detail. Perhaps we only need to figure out the right direction... Have you got any experience with Unity? The first step in any case would be to install the right version of Unity onto your computer. Which version of DFU would you like to be working with? (I assume v1.0.0, but thought better to clarify...)
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.

menoleyanea

Post by menoleyanea »

meritamas wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:29 pm I am pretty sure I can get the time in the next couple of weeks to explain some of those parts in more detail. Perhaps we only need to figure out the right direction... Have you got any experience with Unity? The first step in any case would be to install the right version of Unity onto your computer. Which version of DFU would you like to be working with? (I assume v1.0.0, but thought better to clarify...)
I tried doing the whole process with DFU version 1.1.1, would 1.0 be better? I don't really have any experience with Unity but I figured it out up to the part where I build the addressables, but couldn't figure out how to edit the scripts as everything I tried gave me an error when building the game. Don't remember the exact error but it was something like "Error Building Player".

meritamas

Post by meritamas »

menoleyanea wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 2:46 am I tried doing the whole process with DFU version 1.1.1, would 1.0 be better? I don't really have any experience with Unity but I figured it out up to the part where I build the addressables, but couldn't figure out how to edit the scripts as everything I tried gave me an error when building the game. Don't remember the exact error but it was something like "Error Building Player".
I have a basic idea what the source of the problem might be: it is likely that some part of the editing needs to be done slightly differently than in previous versions. If this is the case, then when you try to do to DFU 1.1.1 what I had successfully done to lower versions, you would get an error, similar to the one you were describing.
If you can bear with me, we will have a few options to choose from as we work toward solving the problem.
I think we could try working with 1.1.1, see no good reason to prefer DFU 1.0.0.
As I am planning to install a new development environment in the course of this year anyway, I might as well do it now. So, what I will do next (next week or the week after) is download DFU version 1.1.1 and see if I can commit to it my usual changes. If I am successful, you will still have the choice of making the edits yourself or just downloading my customized code files.
Interest in expanding and improving the Magic system, Capitalism and an Unleveled World.

My main quest in the DFU community is my (Mostly) Magic Mod.